No way we can tell you about your first complaint. No reason to not accept the explanation of competent physicians that have examined your eye.
2. There is a great deal written in these columns about myopic macular degeneration. Use the search feature and archives and read them.
3. Measuring C/D ratios is very subjective and intra-observer and inter-observer disparities are common. Don't make too much of it. High myopia is associated with larger C/D rations and the anatomy makes giving an exact number difficult.
4. You have pathologic high myopia, that does not necessarily mean you have myopic macular degeneration. HOWEVER you have been told by a competent Eye MD that examined your eyes that you have a mild form so best accept that.
5. Live a healthy life-style, watch your weight and keep it normal/slim, exercise, don't smoke, protect your eye from UV light, do not drink alcohol in excess, consider taking a generic multivitamin plus the over the counter AREDS-2 supplements (as directed on the bottle), protect your eyes from injury, see the ophthalmologist you feel most comfortable with at least annual.
6. Life is full of bumps, challenges, tragedies, and ultimately the infirmity
and death of those we know, those we love and ourselves. We must develop the mental, psychological, physical and spiritual/religious skills at coping with the ultimate reality. If you can't do it on your own see a psychiatrist.
Thank you so much, Dr. Hagan. May I ask you a few more questions?
May I know what exactly myopic retina degeneration is? Is it a general name for the thinning of retina and possible complications of the thinning? Is it equal to macula degeneration? In addition, what is the general statistics of MMD happening among high myopia? 10%? 30% or higher?
It is indeed similar to AMD in pathophysiology but the damage to Bruch's membrane, rods, cones do not come from age related changes but from mechanical stretching of the tissues from the very long myopic eye.
I cannot give you an incidence rate.
Dear Dr Hagan I love your comments and especially the last point 6. I have been told I have Myopic Degeneration and my prescription is -21!
Last summer the vision became distorted in my left eye while on holiday in France and this year in France I too now experience the flickering dots that the person above refered to. What are they and will they get worse? I am very scared too as I am an architect and a very visual person. I think UV light does affect my eyes - would very good sunglasses help? Also is there a link between the retina and the liver - would it be best to give up alcohol altogether? Thank you Sarah Myhill
Hi, I have Myopic Degeneration as well and have posted a question in the community as well and have great concern about this. Can I ask your ages? I am 37 and hope this isn't a vision threatening condition, and now that I know, I worry about it every day !! Do any of you have any more on the condition or anything proactive that can be done ? I have loved Dr. Hagan's posts as well, they have been the most reassuring. Most people just do not know what this is. Please keep in touch, we can be of support through this.