Traumatic Mydriasis, need help

Hi everyone. I have what seems to be a traumatic mydriasis from blunt trauma to my right eye that happened back in the middle of December.

My history:
Middle of December I took a slapshot to the eye from a rigid PVC hockey ball (wasn't wearing a cage). I immediately lost vision in my right eye. I was rushed to the hospital and determined to have a hyphema. The only thing I could see was light. The next day, the doctors could not get an accurate pressure reading on my eye so they decided to perform an "exploration of the eye" surgery, and found out that I had no tears or ruptures. The day following the surgery, and this is a big part, I was checked out by the doctor and he said when he shined the light into my eyes, my pupil was reacting, so that was a great sign that my nerve was working. I was given Atropine to take 2x daily and Prodnolisone to take 4x daily. I am 25 years old, so you can gauge my healing capacity.

Since then, I was on bedrest for about 2 weeks, staying on the atropine during this time. I was seeing an opthalmologist every few days. The hyphema eventually reabsorbed and I regained vision in my eye. I d/c'd the atropine after 2 weeks of being on it, but stayed on prodnolisone for about another 2 weeks thereafter. About a month after the initial hit, now middle of December, I still had a mydriasis, probably around 8mm when compared to the chart. Bad photophobia, poor visual acuity, everything. I was prescribed Pilocarpine 1% to take 4x daily. Within the first dose of this, my pupil had constricted and I could see much more comfortably. I stayed on this for a week and upon dc'ing the pilocarpine, my pupil had gone back to full size within about 36 hours. I have been off all medication now since that time, seeing my doctor here in a week.

During the course, the doctors all thought I was still under the effects of Atropine, since there did not appear to be any tears in the iris muscle that were noticeable, and that was the best explanation for my very dilated pupil. Now that my entire history has been explained, is it POSSIBLE that since my pupil was reacting to light just 2 days after the surgery, and now doesn't react at all, that the atropine dilated the pupil beyond its normal range of travel and tore a muscle in the iris somewhere? I just don't understand how it was reacting to light initially after the trauma, but now is so unreactive and open. This has been an emotionally taxing ordeal and I'd like to understand where I go from here, or if the atropine may have caused me this permanent state of discomfort with my eye.

Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance, but if not, I hope any searchers with similar issues may be able to benefit from this post.
@dapeng,

I'm sure Dr. John has his reasons about the time related to this condition due to his extensive experience; but, 'usually' does not mean 'never'. There is many cases on this thread from people that recover full or partial from no light-reaction to light-reaction later several months (more than 6), even years, like the own thread's creator.

I dont know about you, but to fix my blurred vision I'm using now reading glasses, and it allows me to work just as before. I've had some troubles with headaches but it seems fine now, and see.. I living with mydriasis on the terrible south-america tropical summer. :)

Also, I'm sure that everyone's condition, despite the same diagnosis "traumatic mydriasis" is very individualized, and, for sample, today I'm bit better than you with less time, but you can recover fully while I not.

More, you still can try lots of treatments, and go with lenses with artificial iris or implanted-iris looks good for the future; and, congrats to you that this technology is from Germany, as you told me, you live there.

let us know your updates and experience with whatever you choice to treat it. You can call me in IM also, if you prefer.

best of luck!

As I said "is USUAL"
Hi, @robsonvf,

I really appreciate your time and your words for cheering me up. I will get my reading glass in the next 2 weeks and I will also try photochromic glass and iris print lense.

I will definitely not lose faith and keep yo updated. Wish you all great luck to recover in 2016.

Dapeng
=
=
Hi, John,

I've got both a reading glass and an contact lense. With the reading glass, I have got a better vision for short distance (up to 50 cm), everything above that distance is more blurred. But for book- and screen reading, I thnk the reading glass does improve my vision. My problem is only, that after wearing the reading glass for 1 hour, the photophobia gets worse when I take off the glass.

Furthermore, I tried 2 contact lense, both have a positive diopter of 1.625 (my reading glass has 1.75. I hope we have the same unit system as in US). But somehow my vision is much more blurred when I put the contact lense in. It is much worse than without? Do you have any explanation for that? The plan was to get used to the contact lense at first, then get lense printed with a fixed iris on it. But with such a blurred vision, I am just not able to wear it for long time.

thanks a lot in advance.

Dapeng

At your age you would expect the contact lens to blur your distance vision just like the reading glasses do. The reading glasses have a focal point that is clear. Anything further away will be blurred.

I don't know why your eye would be more photophobic unless your cornea was drying.  When you do your near work (read, computer) every 10-15 minutes take the glasses off, focus far away (down the hall or out a window) and blink forcefully 4-5 times. It does two things: Stretch your focus muscle (ciliary body) and moisten your cornea.

JCH MD
Hi John,
thanks a lot your great suggestion.

I am still curious to know whether there is a solution for the contact lens problem. I do really want to try an contact lens with print.

Does it make sense to take just a plain contact lens without diopter, but with a print, so that I am less photophobia. If necessary, I can wear an additional reading glass.

Thanks in advance.
Dapeng Wang
You would have to wear a bifocal contact lens on the eye with the problem. The top of the lens for distance would presumably be zero and their would be a reading add that the fitter would probably be a littler stronger than the reading glasses you find helpful.
Hi, John,

thanks a lot again.

regards
Dapeng
=
Dapeng, are you facing some pain in your neck, kind of stiff neck ? This is the only pain that still persists since Mydriasis... I think that due to my focus issue my head/concentration position is changed what may be the cause.

What are your main problems dealing with that (besides photophobia and near vision) and what you do to combat it ?
Usually its the same problem people have wearing bifocals and doing computer work. It's a chin up position when reading or doing near work. The chin up, eyes down position may aid focus some in the eye with traumatic mydriasis.  It might be helped by reading glasses, full from for near or even bifocals of the progressive multifocal type
Hi John, thanks for your comment and all the other guidance on this thread.

I'm already with a reading prescription for the eye with Mydriasis (the other one is just with a clean len).. not using bifocal nor progressive. I still didnt found  the root cause for the pains, it is happening even for the weekends (no work/wear glasses).

Don't discount that it could be a primary orthopedic problems due to something like cervical arthritis.
Hi, @robsonvf

I am not having problem with my neck, but heavy headache. I am getting acupuncture to alleviate the pain and it does help a lot.

regards
Dapeng
=
Hi, John,

can adherence between iris and pupil cause mydriasis and secondary glaucoma? If yes, how can such an adherence be diagnosed?

regards
Dapeng
generally "adherence" (scars called synechae) scar the pupil shut not open. They are easily seen by the Eye MD with the biomicroscope (slit lamp).  JCH MD
Hi John, I´m think that make sense it be *also* related to some cervical issue, I'll see a doctor to check this.

For readers, I'm now 4 months and a week since Mydriasis and life is really better than the first months. I think that due to this issue I got some worry about to "never more do things I used to" and then, I'm doing this much more often, lol.

Last days I've noticed an interesting improvement on pupil size (despite MDs told me that I have no tears on my pupil, I can notice an abnormal iris margin, what my own diagnostic suggests one or two tears which blocks the full-function (currently, partial function)) - I´m not sure whether this improvement is due to heavy-sun light (summer here in Brazil) or healing, but I think my pupil is now (under normal conditions) around 5mm (a month ago it was 7mm), while on sunny days it is 3mm.

for those who are using or would like to use Alphagan-P, I've noticed that it works better if you drop it in your injuried eye and go outside for several minutes, last weekend I did it and the effect and duration was really good: pupil down for 5+ hours in a "small size" 3~4mm.
=
Hi, robsonvf,

congrats on your progress. I am really glad that you are on a good way of recovery. I hope you all the best.

I am still struggling with the mydriasis everyday, since it just won't get better. My pupil is about 6.6mm and there has been hardly any improvement in last months. The pupil is showing very small reaction to light, but it is very limited. The good eye has now a very small pupil (1.6mm). The pressure is also instable. The most frustrated thing is, that no one can tell me exactly, what is happening within my eyes.

I am trying to get Alphagen-P (must be imported, since it is not available in Germany) and also waiting for my iris print lens. I desperately would like to do things I used to do. But currently I am just not able to.

regards
Dapeng
=
Hi dapeng, sorry to hear this. Dont understand me bad, I'm also fighting against mydriasis every single day yet, its very, very bad. I just found a way to live with this and I'm sure you will find too.

Honestly, I have no hope of full recovery for me, but once pain is signed-off, I can accept it as-is and life is going on.

Did you tried a neuro-ophtalmologist ? Sometimes I think that only an ophtalmo is not enough due to the limited experience with "not common things" like mydriasis, most of them (at least those I saw) are used to work with prescription glasses and related issues.

As Dr. John told, seems that in your case you are facing a kind of Glaucoma, did you tried some drop to handle this ?

=
Hello Dr. John,

I was not able to read all the recent comments of this thread but I was posting here 3 years ago during the time of my injury.

It's been 3 years since the injury and I believe that the damage of my eye would be forever. I have completed the medication but wasn't in regular visit to the doctor until recently.

I have my eye checked today and the Ophthalmologist said that the injured part had scarred and there is no way to treat it just like the scar we could have anywhere in the body.

My only complain was that when I have to look at the objects particularly words, the images in the part of the injured eye was like there's a glass in it and when I focus to smaller letter, it was covered by somewhat a white spot from my eye. There were also floaters which I am used to since the day of my injury.

According to the doctor, my eyes have no other defects. I even asked if I need glasses because I feel like I need one and he said "not at all" because when I covered one of my eye, the injured one looks nearer compared to the injured one.

This is really a total hassle but I teach myself to get use of it because if it's true that there's no way the scar be removed, then I would have it my lifetime. A fate.

I appreciate your comments in my situation and thank you very much for that.
I am sorry for the error in the fifth par. The vision of uninjured eye looks nearer compared to the injured one.
Hi @badmintonlover, while you are waiting for Dr John response, I can offer my own experience on it once I have the same symptoms as you.

For me, since mydriasis, my issues are: worse near vision and headache. I fixed near vision only with glasses and see, I tried lots of things such as pilocarpine (so much disconfort, despite works), alphagan-p (small improvement) and glasses to fix the focus on the injuried eye: this worked. Today I can work only with glasses (I work with computers), without it, I think that is impossible.

Doctors, usually, dont know how is to live with this problem, for the most part of them (mainly those whom have no experience with traumatic mydriasis) just think that your pupil is greater and there is no other real problem.

I 've fixed my headache using a drug called "Indocid", very, very useful.

so, IMHO, glasses are TOO MUCH important in our situation.

question:

do you have headache due to your mydriasis ? how to handle this?

what is your pupil size, does it respond to light?

thank you!
In reading your post I am uncertain if the problem is due to your pupil still being dilated. If so some of the recent posts including robsonvf might be helpful.  I cannot determine also where the scars are. Usually in traumatic mydriasis there are no visible scars. You symptoms suggest you might have a small scar in the macula.

I might suggest a second opinion, trial of glasses, amsler grid testing and perhaps macular OCT.

JCH MD
By the way thank you for your response.

Actually, headache is absent and I believe the size of my pupil already gone back to normal size (if it's really) comparing it to the other. So far I can manage with any light situation. Sometimes when I am outside and the sun's at its peak it will cause me to feel uncomfortable. My main problem now is the distorted vision on that part of my eye plus the floaters are disgusting.

I am really thinking I need the glasses but the Oph did not suggest. There were times when I could no longer hold the discomfort, I have to put my hand sideways between my eyes to form a division. I'm in medication no more this time. It's like, the doctor's concluded that i have to live this way and get use to it since no more hope to eliminate the scarring on the injured part.
Hello Dr. John,

Thanks for your advice. Am too is thinking a second opinion and another set of check-ups and procedures. I will visit another doctor soon so that I can compare there stand on my situation. I was not able to ask where exactly the scarring is. I was hit by a shuttlecock bull's-eye then.

If there's no way out this could be remedied then I should have to accept the fact, live, and get use to it.

Thanks for your time.

Make the best of your second opinion. Seek out the best Eye MD ophthalmologist you have access to. If possible take your old records. Ask specifically about glasses, traumatic cataract and macular pathology and if a macular OCT might be of benefit.

Good luck
Hi, John,

I need your advice again for following experience of mine. Last wek I was in ski vacation. The weather was good and I stayed outdoor the whole day with sun glasses. In the meantime, I started to drop Alphagan-P. My pupil gets noticeably smaller (at least 1mm) and stayed more or less small the whole week.

After returning from the vacation, where the weather is more rainy or cloudy, my pupil somehow gets bigger again, though I am still using Alphagan-P.

Do you have any idea, what could have made the difference?

regards
Dapeng
Brighter light smaller pupil, cloudy light larger pupil

JCHMD
Hi, John,

I need your advice again.

I met another ophthalmologist last week, who did at first intensiv inspections on my eye, so that my vision got blurred after the 2-hour inspection. He told me that the nerve seems to work, because shining to my injured eye cause normal or even stronger reaction on the other eye. The muscle seem to be OK as well. But he is not sure, whether iris is somehow adhered with the lense.

He gave me also a mixture of glamisolo and pilo. About 2 hours after the insepction, my pupil size is indeed reduced (I think at least 2 -3 mm). On the day after that, the pupil got a bit bigger, but it was still very comfortable for me. But 2 days later, pupil returns to the big size and my vision gets somehow more blurred.

How would you interpret that somehow my muscle is still reacting to the medicine? Do you have a clue, why my vision got blurred (is it because of the inspection, so that my eye needs a couple of day to recover from it?)

Any advice is highly appreciated.

regards
Dapeng
The problem is not that your eye iris muscles are not working it's that they are not balanced and the muscle that makes the pupil smaller is considerably weaker than than the one in the other eye and not balanced with the dilator muscle in the injured eye.

I have no idea what "glamisolo" is.  Pilo makes the pupil smaller but in younger people blurs the vision at distance. Adhesions of the iris to the lens is unlikely 1. they are usually easy to see  2. They give an irregular pupil that is teardrop shaped.

So its likely the pilo/glamisolo  caused the blurred vision

JCHMD
Hi John,

I have recently had a blunt injury to the eye. I went immediately to the ER as I could not see for a couple of hours after the injury. I had mild hyphema. It has now been one month since the injury, and I am still on Predeferin Forte (twice a day). My pupil reacts to light, but very slowly.Could the steroid drop be causing the pupil to react slowly to light/mydriasis?

Thank you!

No that is not a side effect of pred forte.  And is related to your injury.  Know that after a hyphema you are at increased risk of glaucoma, cataract, retinal detachment.

JCH MD
John,
as i had a ruptured globe due to a metal wire penetrating my eye which left me aphakic, right now i am recovering from my second surgery where the doctors removed the silicone oil. I do not know the exact size of my pupil but i do know that I can not tolerate bright lights. my opthomogist has suggested that if my vision improves with a contact lens that I may not need any more surgeries but my concern is the possibility that i may have Mydriasis. i would prefer a permanent solution like and IOL, how complicated is to suture my iris if my doctor would perform the IOL surgery.

thanks
Depending on the status of your eye and your injury it may be very difficult. Plus if the pupil is made smaller with a "purse string" incision it will not dilate and it will be hard for the doctors to see and treat the back of your eye. You need to discuss with your retina surgeon and also get several opinions from cataract surgeons.

JCHMD
Thank you for the quick response, the injury happened on 12/31/2015 and as of yet I have not had high eye pressure. When the time comes is it possible to have a second opinion by you? I live in Florida but am willing to travel. Thanks
No I don't do that type of surgery and its not necessary to travel so far as there are many fine ophthalmologists in Florida.  Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at U of Miami is among the best in the world.

JCH MD
Thank you
best of luck
Hi John, since I got mydriasis, even using sunglasses, my injuried eye is a little bit red (let´s say it´s a eye: , the "-" chars are constantly red) and I noticed when I traveled during the night, driving for 5 hours, that it becomes too much red.

well, I´m sure it´s a result of mydriasis, but, what you think about it? there is a way to handle it ?

thanks again!
Redness is not a consistent part of dilated pupil syndrome. Since its only a little red I would suggest not doing anything except perhaps using an artificial tear. Whitening eye drops like Visine and Murine are not good for long term repeated use.
yep, it´s a little red. Okay then, thank you! ;-)
=
Dr Hagan, is it possible for an aphakic to develop pco or capsule opacification? Reason I ask is I am trying to pinpoint my glare issues and slightly hazy vision to pco or traumatic mydriasis. Thanks
Yes it is possible if the posterior capsule was left in the eye or if a problem called Soemmering's Ring develops
thank you Dr Hagen, i have read online that younger patients are more suspect to pco? Is 34 considered "young enough" for pco 5 months into being aphakic ? can this easily be diagnosed or are special tests needed?
Yes at 34 PCO often develop quickly. Easy Dx with dilated pupil and biomicroscope (slit lamp exam)
Hi Dr Hagan & Everyone,

I was hit in the eye 2 weeks ago and since then I have traumatic mydriasis. The pupil reacts to light and I feel it's a little better than a week ago, it's around 4 mm.

In the last visit to the doctor he told me he saw a little tear in the sphincter.

Is there still a chance that the pupil will go back tot normal even with the small tear in the sphincter?

Another problem I have is the blurred vision. I saw that reading glasses can help while working with computers, is there something that can help long distance focus?
Do you recommened the use of glasses for focusing?

Ben
First be sure you are under the care of an Eye MD ophthalmologist. Injuries such as these can be associated with problems elsewhere such as retina tears, retinal detachments, inflammation, glaucoma and traumatic cataracts.  Usually this is treated with steroid drops for the common association of traumatic iritis. Also if you are using a red topped bottle that dilates and rests the pupil and will keep the pupil bigger than after you stop it.  Sometimes the pupil returns to normal sometimes not. No way to tell yet.  Since your other eye was not injured most people do not need to use reading glasses.  Distance glasses are prescription and too early to see if you need one.
after a long time... I'm here to provide some hope to those who're recently facing this injury... after almost two years since my injury, it was improving time after time till the current state which is: I don't need glasses nor drops anymore. Sunglasses are optional now. and the vision is about 99% better. Sometimes seems it's better than before. I'd say that I'm 99.9% recovered. Regarding the pupil.. well, it's still bigger than the other one but is impossible to note the difference without pay a really attention over it.

Keep your hope. This terrible injury will improve with time.
Thanks for the follow up. PROTECT YOUR EYES FROM ANOTHER INJURY. Just saying.
Hi All,

I have traumatic mydriasis (1.5 months) after a football mishap and have been looking for solutions.

Would contact lenses with an occluded pupil work by reducing the amount of light entering my eyes?

Cheers,
Yes if the diameter of your damaged pupil is larger than the diameter of the pupil on a color contact lens. Also ask your eye MD ophthalmologist to try Alphagan-P eye drops.  Some improvement often occurs for 6-9 months
Thanks John, I'll that note of that.
Best of luck and remember to protect both eyes from another injury
Hello Dr. John and Everyone

May 1, 2017
I hit my eye with a baseball.

Traumatic cataracts are said to be very small (which is later said to be fine enough to age a little earlier than normal eyes)

And the traumatic pupil mydriasis, the iris has been torn off a little.

The first one or two months do not move at all, and then gradually diminish in response to light.

About five to six months later
It is fine in daylight and very bright, but it is still large in dark places.

Even after 5 to 6 months of pupil
Could it be smaller and move?

(I was originally a diopter - 8 high myopia and received vision correction four years ago)
It could be at 6 months most cases are stable.  Ask your ophthalmologist about a trial of Alphagan-P which helps the pupil stay small in dim/dark light