Fertility and Trying to Conceive Community

PCOS & Infertility

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 4 years. I am 25 years old and early this year, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was performed a hysterosalpingogram on the 2nd week of June and I've been taking Metform for almost 3 weeks. I have noticed that I've been discharging a clear/white sticky and elatically looking mucus, slight increase in the release of gas, frequent clear urination, and pelvic pain on my lower left and sometimes right side. I already saw my GYN and she told me that this could be a sign of ovulation. My GYN has withdrawn blood from me to check my Estrogen level and I'm hoping that this means that I'll be able to determine when I'm ovulating. I have always had a hard time determining when I'm ovulating due to changes in my menstrual cycles. For example, I had my period this month on June 3rd but last month I got my period on May 8th. I'm not sure if any of this is normal and I have never really mastered how to predict my most fertile days. I've even considered having IVF but I really want to conceive the most natural way possible.  Any professional and also non-professional advice provided to me is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

:-/
Hi, I am also 25, I was diagnosed with pcos 7 weeks ago..i'm on 1500mg of metformin.  as far as tracking goes you can start by charting you body basal temp, or use opk's, the ovulation tracker on this site is pretty helpful..I chart BBT, and use opk's.  you can also chart your cervical mucus. there a lot of steps less invasive than IVF.  Are you on clomid? or any drug to help you ovulate?
I'm actually only taking 1000mg of metformin and today I'm suppose to start taking 1500mg. I've heard about clomid...Is it effective?

I've never been good at tracking my BBT...As for the vaginal discharge, I just recently received for the first time ever that it was a sign of ovulation. I had never discharged such cervical mucus and someone has already told me that it's due to the metformin....If this is the case, I'm hoping it will continue to help me ovulate and determine what are my most fertile days. I also experience irregular periods...I get my period every month just not around the same time.
The discharge is from the metformin.  Metformin helps break down the mucous buildup in your uterus.  
Do you think that the Meformin has begun to help me ovulate?
believe i know how annoying bbt can be, i stopped charting this month until i end clomid so that was a nice break. ovulation predictor kits (opk's) i have heard they work well, i have never ovulated so they didn't help me much. I also never noticed mucus until i started the metformin. as far as clomid two of my friends took it and are enjoying their pregnancy.  I am on round four and have yet to ovulate.
I've been charting since I found this wonderful website....and I find it a bit challenging...Hopefully, I won't slack off and forget it....I'll be crossing my fingers for that not to happen...I can get really caught up with things easily....

As for clomid...I've heard about this medication a lot....Metformin seems to be working for me now...but in the event that it starts to be doing otherwise...I will definitely consider asking my doc about possibly having to take it....
hi  i was told that i have pcos in jan of this year..doc has me  on metformin and last month was my 5th round of clomid...this month he wanted my body to rest...but he did have me get a hsg test done last week..so i am waiting for the results of the test...i go in monday to find out...I did all that charting stuff for like 2 years and never got anywhere with it...my periods are to irregular...the have started straighting up some since taking the meds though....but i have read that women with pcos its not as easy to use those opks..baby dust to everyone...
Why did the Doc want you to rest from Clomid? I have heard about women taking both Metformin and Clomid at the same time...I'm currently only taking 1500 mg of Metformin a day...I've inquired about Clomid but my GYN advised me to try staying on Metformin for awhile...to refocus on loosing the weight I'm aiming towards loosing...and then try Clomid, if I don't get to conceive after loosing the weight....It's a struggle...I joined a gym...and due to my schedule, asthma, and fear of conceiving and having an MC...I stopped going....I want to go back...but I also want to have a healthy pregnancy...if I do get to conceive...this is really emotionally draining...but I know that I can't loose hope...and neither should you.....

I also took my HSG last month...and thank god it came out positive....both of my tubes are open...and I have heard that women get pregnant either right away or shortly after it has been done...I'm praying that this will be the case with me...I won't deny to you though that when I got my period on July 4th...I felt very disappointed and couldn't stop crying...but at the same time, I remembered that my GYN had done some blood work on me and the results were also positive...My GYN informed me that I had ovulated after geting my HSG and getting on Metformin....I had never been able to determine when I normally ovulate since my periods have always been irregular...I would sometimes get my period at the beginning of the month...and then the following month...I would get it towards the end of that 2nd month...It was frustrating....Now, after taking Metformin, my last 2 periods have been pretty normal...which means that it has increased my chances of conceiving....  :-)

I wish you the best...I will pray for your HSG results to come out to be positive ...and for you to also become a mommy shortly after it gets done!!!

All the way from NYC...I send you lots of Baby Dust your way********!!!!!  

:-)
Hey thanks for the encouraging words...Sometimes it is just so good to hear...And it is so hard cause nobody around me is or has gone through what we have and it gets so frustrating and disappointing some times....Anyways my doc said that he only likes a patient to be on clomid for 5 to 6 months at a time...Not only cause of multiple births but they say it can overstimulate your ovaries...I think also your body will get used to it after some time so it wont work the way we are wanting it to after to long of continuous use...

I hear you loud and clear about it being a struggle...With everything we have going through our heads and the constant other things in life....It really bites sometimes...I am also trying to lose some weight and I have lost some on my own....

Yes I too have heard about the higher chances of conceiving after the hsg test...Even the woman at the hospital performing the test told me that...They say up to 6 months after it seems to help...But really effective up to 3 months after...Glad to hear you were all clear...I hope that is what I hear tomorrow...I hope I also find out what our next step is in our fertility journey...My dh had to do his semen analysis the same morning I did my hsg...He is all normal...We got his results that afternoon...So now its just me....

Keep me posted on how your journey is going also....Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your prayers....I too will be praying for you and for your miracle to happen soon...Baby Dust!!!!!!
All the way from Oklahoma.....
I hope by now you've gotten your results and that they were positive....

I had no idea that Clomid could actually cause multiple births...but what do you mean by overstimulate ovaries?

Like you, I'm also the first to be experiencing this infertility issue in my family...I just recently found out that a good friend of ours was also having a hard time conceiving b/c she was diagnosed with PCOS and after taking Metformin and getting off of it for awhile...she got her BFP..and is now happy to have been blessed with a healthy & cute baby boy...So that was encouraging to know and hear...We have hope...and We must remain faithful....We just can't give up!

I will keep you and everyone else posted on my journey...You girls are amazing!!!

Thank you for all of your support...Big Hug...& Lots of Baby Dust Your Way!!!!  :-)
Hey! Yes I went in to see the doc yesterday afternoon...He says everything is all clear...He says the the uterus and tubes were all good...Yay!!   He is still having me rest off the meds this month and only taking my prenatal  and metformin...But he wants to try another drug starting next menstral cycle if I do not get prego this one...It is called Femara....I have heard really good results with this med and women taking it that have pcos...I am still in the process of looking into this medicine...I do know that it is originally used for women and something to do with breast cancer...But still checking into it...
In fact I just talked to a friend that says her friend took clomid and didn't get her bfp but the first cycle she took that femara she got her bfp.... The only thing that bites is the femara can be expensive...Even with insurance just ten pills I got quoted around $120.00...But you know right now that doesn't matter...;)

When you overstimulate your ovaries you have an increased number of follicles on your ovaries or the presence of high levels of estrogen in your blood increases your risk for developing OHSS. (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome)

I will keep ya informed...~BaBy DuSt To ALL~
My gyno keeps tellin me everything is fine but I have a lot of spottin instead of a period he did a ultrasound and said my uterus is fine I am tryin to loose weight too.I started takin geritol I hope that works! I asked my doctor about puttin me on fertility pills but he said not yet! What can I do