Gastroenterology Community

Fecal impaction in colon - help!

This is the first time I'm posting - a warm greeting to everyone.

A couple of months ago I got excruciating pain in my pelvic region and had every test in the book, then I started to get pain in my stomach region, too. CAT scan, gastroscopy, colonoscopy revealed no abnormalities but an X-ray did show fecal impaction high up in the colon, extending all the way down. I am a runner and live in the southern hemisphere and was training very hard, sweating a lot, and perhaps not replacing fluids quickly enough. The doctor thought perhaps my bowel had become dehydrated and the loading and impaction resulted.

All well and good, but after two weeks of Movicol (most days 3 sachets a day, but for the past two days 8 sachets a day) and I'm still having pain all over. Often sharp and stabbing, but also sometimes a dull ache in different parts of my GI. On the plus side, I'm no longer breathing rapidly, with a rapid heart-rate, unable to eat more than a mouthful at a time because I feel like I swallowed two whole chickens. But on the downside, I'm still in a lot of pain, I can't eat solids without discomfort and pain all the time, and I'm not really getting better that I can tell.

My question is - how long does it take for the pain to go away after you have cleared your colon/bowel? Is it normal that I'm still getting a lot of pain all over? I'm assuming the disimpaction was successful - hard to tell without an X-ray - but why am I still so sore and uncomfortable? Please help because I'm desperate for pain relief (pain's been going on for two months now) and was even in hospital but dismissed and sent to a dietician because "it's just impaction". The dietician said she can't fault my diet, by the way. I'm an athlete and I eat everything I should eat. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't even drink caffeine. Aaaargh!

Maggie
Hi, are you moving your bowels? If you are having bowel movements regularly its unlikely to be fecal impaction. If you are not having bowel movements then an enema or laxatives may help with bowel movements, this may provide relief from your symptoms. Regards.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem