Gastroenterology Community

Help - chronic abdominal/back pain right side - 6 months

I have been suffering from abdominal and back pain ranging from 6-8 every single day...occurring on the right side of my body, seemingly under the ribs in both my back and my front.  It starts when I wake up, or it wakes me up, and continues throughout the day...sometimes it gets worse, and sometimes it gets a little better.  Being sedentary...ie. sitting in my computer chair for prolonged periods of time definitely makes it worse.  I have to move around.  Putting pressure on the area where it feels like the pain is coming from also seems to help, and as soon as I release the pressure it hurts again.  The pain goes away late at night every night...and then it is back again as soon as I wake up.  I have also lost about 15 lbs and I am very slight as it is...male, 5'11'', 135 lbs currently.

I went through a lot of testing in August/September of 2010 and everything was negative until I had a HIDA scan which showed abnormal ejection rate of < 35% and I had an immense amount of pain during the test.  So I ended up having my Gallbladder removed in October of 2010.  After I recovered from the surgery, I was fine.  I felt no pain, my symptoms were gone...I thought I was done with this disaster.

Then, all of a sudden, in December 2010 it came back one day when I woke up.  Had an MRI which showed Pancreas Divisum and my GI doctor referred me to a local hospital (a very good one) in order to see an expert in treating this problem.  The first doctor, after talking to me for quite a while, thought I was a good candidate for an ERCP to put a stent in to relieve the pain...then he had to go talk to the head honcho pancreas guy at this hospital who actually does the procedures, and he did a complete 180 on me.  He said that he didn't think the pancreas divisum was causing my problems, as I don't have pancreatitis, and he needs to see more definite evidence before they do this procedure because it is risky.  I was a little shocked and didn't really know what to say.

I am kind of back at square one now...looking for what this could possibly be.  I am currently trying Gabapentin in case this is nerve pain...I am wondering if this could somehow be musculoskeletal?  It is not working...I'll probably try a muscle relaxer after this...which I'm sure also won't work.

Does this sound like it is pancreas divisum causing this pain?  I am not sick...other than being in pain every single day.  Should I just get a second opinion on that subject?  Could it be something else?  The MRI didn't show any blockage in the common bile duct, fwiw.  Thanks for any replies...
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem