Gastroenterology Community

Pain control for pancreatitis

I have had pancreatitis since December 2006 and have had pain pretty much every day since. I also have Pancreas Divisum and a stricture in the main duct ( an MRI at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St,Louis has shown the the duct is completely closed off) that was caused from a 9cm pseudocyst. I take Norco (hydrocodone) 10/325mg for pain. I have been taking the Norco for so long know that it does not work as good as it use to and my doctor here in my home town wants to put me in the hospital to try and get the pain under control instead of trying a different kind of pain medicine. I understand that the pain control in the hospital ( which I have a fear of Hospitals) is better and would be a good way to be pain FREE for a  couple of days, but would that make the Norco work better once I am back home? I mean, whats the point if when I get back home and its right back to the same old same? What other pain medicines are there for treating this kind of chronic pain? Please, can anyone answer these questions? I just want to get back some of my PAIN FREE life and I'm sure my wife and kids would love that aswell.  
Can you please tell me about your chronic pancreatitus? My husband had acute pancreatitus in Feb., and he does not drink any alcohol since 1976. But he had a lot of gallstones, so they took out his gall bladder. We thought that was the end of it, but this past week he has had a lot of upper abdominal pain with distention, could not pass gas (very unusual for him!), & cold clammy sweats. On the third day he threw up, and it was mostly black stuff. After that, he started to feel better, but had diarhhea a couple of  days, with back pain. He had all those symptoms, but much more severely, with his acute pancreatitus.  I tried to get him to go to the doctor, but he wouldn't go. Do you think this could be the start of chronic pancreatitus?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem