Gastroenterology Community

Pancreatitis???

I'll begin by stating that I'm an extremely active 39 y.o. female that doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, eats very healthy (except for a slight indulgence in chocolate) and drinks 8 - 10 cups of water daily.  Since last July, after 3 days of taking Doxycycline for acne (acne turned out to be due to allergic reaction to dairy), my stomach began to swell to the appearance of a 5 mo. pregnant woman (I'm normally a size 2).  I stopped the Doxycycline immediately and I began to take acidophilus and probiotics to regain blance in my intestines, which took about a month.  This seemed to work...then in September my ENTIRE body swelled up (looked like I gained 10 lbs over night).  Never properly diagnosed, I was prescribed Benadryl and Zantac based on the assumption that the swelling was due to an allergic reaction to Aleve.  This drug combination reduced the swelling only slightly, so I went back to E.R. and was then given Prednisone, my swelling disappeared.  Then in mid November I had food poisoning from my local Whole Foods market...the bloating in my stomach returned (looking 5 mo. pregnant again) and after four days of intense stomach pain, not eating and diarrhea I took myself to a different hospital E.R. (not my insurer).  From their CT scan I was told I had pancreatitis, lipids and amylase where also high.  I followed up with my insurance provider's GI specialist and an ultrasound, they were unable to provide me with any diagnosis..  I currently have returning total body swelling, puffy under eyes, sinus swelling, severly dialated veins in hands, arms and under eyes, blood shot eyes, heavy night sweats, numb/tingling arms/hands when I wake up, cold arms/legs throughout day and night, low energy, abdominal bloating/gas, no appetite, constipation and low back pain.  I refuse to take more steroids to treat the swelling.  I'm seeing an accupuncturist - herbs seem to help with the swelling, but so does coffee.  My symptoms are not going away and I'd like to better understand what is happening so I can get the treatment I need.
I also have swelling in my stomach.  I had it two years ago for 8 months.  I didn't eat and did a colon cleanse for 3 days.  It helped.  I never did find out why.  Now since late November I've been bloated again look like I'm six months pregnant.  I've had CT Scan, small bowel series, and EGD.  All normal.  Now I'm having pain in my lower abdomin mostly right side with groin pain sometimes.  Also have upper left abd. pain rad. to my back.  Maybe something to do with my pancreas.  Anyway, I've talked to some friends at work and they said the swelling could be due to a hernia.  I can't tell if I have one because my stomach is so swelled up.  So I have a referral to a surgeon to see if he can find out what is going on.  Maybe this it what you need to do also.  They need to rule out one thing at a time.  I know I do not have food allergies.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem