Gastroenterology Community

Rotten Egg Burps = Projectile Vomiting

I'm a 43 year old male with a long history of stomach issues.  I take prilosec daily and have no idea what a "normal" bowel movement resembles.  Sour stomach, cramps, reflux and soft stools are just a part of life for me and I've been able to lead a fairly normal and mobile life in spite of these issues.

Six weeks ago, I went to work and took one of my kids w/me.  He loves going to the office for some reason and he had nothing better to do on this particular summer day.  Around 10am I started noticing that I was burping quite a bit and my son pointed out that something smelled like "rotten eggs".  I agreed that something did smell putrid and that it was in fact my burps.  As the day continued, the burps became more and more frequent with individual burps lasting longer and smelling even worse (if that's possible).  Around 3pm, I told my boss I wasn't feeling well and excused myself.  I drove to the hospital and the ER was empty.  Not a person in sight!  Wow!  I told the nurse that I was in extreme abdominal discomfort, nauseous and pain radiating toward my back from my stomach region.  Well, somehow that triggered the "high risk heart alert" which got me checked in in record time, and EKG, blood work, and who knows what else.  Eventually they ruled out my heart and I continued to feel incredibly nauseous despite the three doses of anti-nausea medicine they had put in my IV.  Once it was brought under control, they did CAT scans, x-rays and sonograms of my abdominal region.  They checked everything!  They found nothing.  My appendix, galbladder, intestines and stomach appeared normal.  They gave me two bags of iv antibiotics and lots of fluids via the iv. I just figured it was viral.  The next day I checked out and went home having missed a day of work.

Three weeks later, I started tasting the rotten egg burps again and about 3 hours later, I was heaving up my guts.  I'm one of those people who really, really hates to vomit.  I mean, I just wont do it unless there is just no option.  I will feel sick longer rather than throw-up.  I'd take a beating before willfully throwing up.  Anyway, it was an unstoppable force and it just kept coming.  My wife took me back to the hospital ER where they again performed many of the same tests which all came up negative.  They gave me anti-nausea medicine which worked a bit better this time.  Again, after 24 hours, the pain and nausea were gone.

Today, September 7, 2003 I'm starting to taste the rotten egg burps.  I can't afford to miss work tomorrow but more than that, I cannot afford to spend the night and tomorrow morning going through this hellish experience again.  It's just too much.  So, here's what I've tried.  I took 40mg pantoprazole sodium (Protonix) delayed release tablet and an alka-seltzer.  These were 2 of 3 ideas I found on this site.  The 3rd idea said to eat a lime or lemon.  I have to say, the burps do feel a bit controlled but I'm not ready to claim victory yet.  I'll post tomorrow morning and let all know if this worked.  God help me if it doesn't because for sure the medical community at large is not able to.

All of these posts going back ten years and not a single person has said they have been cured yet?  Please, if you have had this problem and have been correctly diagnosed and cured, post a response and let me know.  Or, perhaps you have had this issue and know of a means of dulling the symptoms?  That would be great too.  I just can't believe that after over 40 years of never having anything like this happen, now It has happened 3 times in six weeks.  Again, I'll post if my rotten egg burps have not turned into nausea by morning.

-Condor301

This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.
I suffered from the exact same symptoms weekly (and really thought I was alone in this!) since I was a small child. Rotten Egg Burps (the WORST part) followed by nausea, severe cramps, vomiting, diarrea, the works. Only after throwing up everything I'd ever eaten in my entire life would it go away eventually. Doctors never knew what was wrong and there's still nothing much online about the cause of this illness. After logging what I ate for quite a while, we figured out that the common denominator was RED DYE #40! I am an adult now who will not eat anything anywhere that even has the possibility of having the dye unless I can read ingredients (which is a TON of stuff, people! ...even some "white" things like coffee creamer packets and such...take a look at things and you'll be amazed) and I hardly, if ever, get this illness anymore. (knock on wood!) I go YEARS without being sick all because I simply avoid Red Dye #40. Just a suggestion because it's worked for me! Hope this helps some of you out there...
I am a 14 year old kid I have had these once before about 6-8 years. I woke up last night with a stomach ache bUT nothing came out. Then I felt the burps. I went to sleep. Couple hours later I woke up vomiting as soon as I woke up. There went all my food. I drank a 16 Oz bottle of water then vomited that up 15 minutes later now I'm sitting in the bathroom hoping I don't vomit again. When I do vomit i vomit like 7-12 times the last couple of them my dad would slap my back and the last bit would come out. When I vomit it is so hard to breathe I hate it and I get scared. I want to know if there is anything thathat can stop this from happening.

-thank you
In advance
Sorry I don't have an answer for you or me.  I have been suffering from the same thing for about 9 months.  It happens almost monthly for me.  I'm a 46 year old female.  I've never had stomach problems before. The first time it happened I thought I must have eaten bad eggs, because the burps were horribly smelly.  I'd never had anything like that before.  Then I vomited all night long.  I assumed it was food poisoning.  Then it happened about a month later.  Same exact smelly burps preceded a long night in the bathroom.  After it happened for the third month in a row, I started keeping track of the episodes, but I can't make any sense of it.  Neither can my doctor.  Yesterday, the horrible burps started again!!!!  For some reason, I just had terrible gas and a bad stomach ache, but never threw up.  Thank God!  I hate throwing up more than anything!  I'm now online trying to find an answer for this. Every episode is the same.  I usually start feeling burpy in the late afternoon/evening.  I have the terrible burps for about 5 hours, then horrible vomiting lasts for a few hours, then I'm exhausted but feel better, kind of like a 24 hour flu.  What could be going on?????
I found this thread online, I have been suffering the same as you, no one seems to have a clue what it is.

I have tried antibiotics, alka selzer, you name it.  A "cure" works for s short time then it is back again.  I sense it is bacteria but am hopeful you have found an answer.

Please let me know.  I am a 46 year old female, I have suffered from this since about 33 years old.  I was in Phoenix when it started, has stayed with me in moves through 3 states so I know it isn't local flora.
Perfectly described.  I am a 37 year old male and have had these "episodes" for 19 years.  I have had upper endoscopies, barium small bowel follow throughs.  Unlike a stomach virus, the episode is instantly cured after throwing up.  I have not matched it up with a specific food but 90% of the time I experience the episode when enduring unusual higher levels of stress at work or home.  The sour burp is as if my digestive system shuts down and food sours or rots in my stomach until a throw it up.  ever so disgusting. If I am able to prevent throwing up or at least postpone it, I will have total liquid bowel movement.   My GP has prescribed a medication to help empty my stomach but did not seem to help when the episode set in.  I will be visiting a true Dr. House next week and will post what he has to say.
I feel a little bit better knowing that I am not the only one this is happening to!  Not that I am happy to hear that you are all suffering but I was beginning to think that I was crazy.  I am 39.  This first happened 2 years ago right around Thanksgiving.  That time it only happened twice in two months.  Seems that I remember the same from way back when, but not sure.  I, just like you all, start with disgusting burps.  At first these would last for up to a day or two before the vomiting would set in.  These latest episodes started December 22nd.  That time I had the burps for a few hours, threw up then felt better til later that afternoon, then was deathly ill with vomiting, dry heaves, then next day, had sudden involuntary rush of extremely foul smelling, watery, foamy diarrhea that came before I could get to the bathroom.  Talk about embarrassing!  The vomiting lasted about 8-10 hours with about 4-6 vomits during this period.  The diarhea happened the following day and lasted 24 hours.  Then I was weak, but otherwise right as rain.  The night of Christmas, right after dinner was burping rotten eggs again.  The next morning started vomiting and could not stop for over an hour, with lots of dry heaving, I thought my ribs were going to bust out of my abdominal cavity, then that night diarrhea started and this time lasted for 3 days, along with fever and whole body hurting!  Now, woke up this morning with the nasty burps again, and immediately took a Promethazine and went back to bed.  Now, this evening I still have the burps though not as bad as usual but the pain has not gotten bad and have not vomited but am scared to death that it will.  I mean the Promethazine knocks me out.  I don't want to spend my life sleeping and vomiting!  Talked to on-call doctor today who says that I need my pancreas checked out.  Also, thought that I saw somewhere that these symptoms can be caused by Valley Fever, which is common in AZ.  Where are the rest of you from
I cannot wait to see what your "Dr. House" says.  I finally could no longer fight it off and was in the bathroom for over an hour last night thinking that I was going to die.  Once my body "sensed" or felt that it had ridded itself of whatever the toxin was, I was wiped out.  Slept until after Noon!  Now, my stomach is still tender, but no more "burps"  and am so so tired!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem