Gastroenterology Community

Umbilical Hernia

I think I may have a small umbilical hernia mid-line just above my navel. Most of the time it feels normal but every couple of days I have some discomfort and a cramping feeling. Just last night I noticed a lump about the size of a dime above my navel that is tender that can be reduced by pushing on it. This is when I had the ah-ha moment and suspected a hernia. This morning it feels fine and there is no lump. I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow. I am a cyclist and ride about 200 mi per week. My question is could this be related to cycling? Should ease off the riding? I just noticed this last night so it is all new to me. I'm planning a 60 mi ride today. I'm assuming it's been there for a while and I haven't noticed any discomfort while riding. I will ask my doc all about this of course but thought I would check here as well.
Hernia can occur at any age. In adults it is common if they are very overweight, multiple pregnancies, lifting heavy objects, or have a persistent cough. Women who have had multiple pregnancies have a higher risk of developing an umbilical hernia. Certain yogic exercises or aerobics can predispose a person for hernia however, cycling or kicking bike paddle doesn't cause Hernia. It is suggested to contact a doctor and discuss your concerns. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem