Gastroenterology Community

Upper Abdominal Pain

First of all, I am a person with a history of diverticulitis. I have had it at least five times, once I was hospitalized for five days. I currently have a case of it, and am on antibiotics. However, when I had a mild case about a month ago, I also had something going on in my upper abdomen. When I received a CT scan the doctor told me I had inflammation of my upper abdominal wall and stomach. I have had this type of upper abdomen pain before.  It is a painful, stabbing, cramping pain. I can hear my stomach making these gurgling noises, and I can feel them too. I have been told to stay away from ibuprofen and aspirin based medications, because of the inflammation. However, during a recent trip to the ER where they gave me torridol. I was in so much pain and thought I would have to go back, I ended up trying some ibuprofen, and the pain was so much better. I am not sure what caused the inflammation, but the pain is waking me up at night, and I constantly have to take some sort of pain reliever on a regular schedule, or I can hardly talk or function. The grumbling in my stomach is loud, others can hear it and assume I am very hungry. I don’t know if this inflammation is caused by my diverticulitis, or if it is a separate symptom and issue. I would appreciate some ideas and suggestions.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would recommend you talk to your doctor again and ask for an upper endoscopy to check things out.  This way they can get a better look at your stomach and take some biopsies to see what is going on.  Good luck.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem