General Health Community

toenail bed infection

Hi group,
I have a paronychia or toe nail bed infection. I have been soaking it and using Hibiclens as directed by my doctor plus I was on Cephalexin for 14 days but it didn't go away so they put me on Bacterim (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim). I have a toe nail fungas as well which he thinks caused problem because I bumped the toe and the nail pushed normal skin bacteria plus whatever else was on the toe into the wound. I have been on Bacterim for 4 days so far and 3 days on oral Lamisil. I was told that I may have to get the nail surgically removed and wondered how painful the procedure was during and after and how long until   I can go walking outside? I hope this clear up before that. If you have had this how long did it take for your toe nail bed to heal (without surgery) and what antibiotic were you on? p.s. my culture was negative but I have no pus or abscess so he couldn't get any fluid out of it.
thanks,
mkh9
I got rid of mine with a combination of vigilance and white vinegar.  No matter which option you use, it is necessary to file down the nail bed, because the treatment has to get under the nail bed for it to kill the fungus.  So, I did this and would soak the affected foot in undiluted warmed white vinegar for half and hour to 45 minutes twice a day.  In less than one week, the fungus was gone--and it has been gone for good, too.  If you do this, do it sooner rather than later, because while the nailbed is thinned out from all that filing, you want to be able to wear open-toed sandals to allow fresh air to the foot.  The vinegar does definitely work and it does definitely dry out the skin, so be sure to have a really good skin moisturizer on hand.

I went with this method, because insurance companies view nail fungus as strictly "cosmetic" and not medical.  Well, I disagree, because you don't want the fungus to spread internally.  I had no other way to treat mine.  But, I did get rid of it, and I got rid of it permanently, too.

One good thing about the vinegar is that it has both antifungal and antibacterial properties.  This is why it works so well for natural house cleaning, too.
Hi mkh9,   I also had a fungus of the nail of one of my great toes.  I tried everything topical available but until I took oral lamisil it would not go away.  As it healed, I trimmed the dead nail back continually and put topical cleaners underneath what was left and within a years time or so it was back to looking normal. I realize you have an additional infection from bumping it so i wish you Good luck with the toe.

Suzi20071
Hi wow that is a  long time for the fungus to go away. I am taking oral lamisil but have just taken 4 days worth so far. I am on bactrim too. But my doctor said I may have to get the toe nail removed, yuck. If it wasn't for the infection I could wait for the fungus to go away. I don't know..
mkh9
Did you have a toe nail bed infection in addition to the toe nail fungus? Did your toe nail fall off or did it just penetrate the nail itself? I am taking the oral Lamisil (luckily my insurance pays for it) and so far so good (check my liver enzymes in a month). I am also taking sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim for the anti bacterial. Yeah I know vinegar is a great cleaner and has many uses. We use it to clean our bathroom floors and even on pergo it doesn't seem to cause any damage. I am nervous about filing down the nail but it makes sense. Genereally the type of fungus that infects the nails doesn't go systemic. It only "eats" Keratin. It is caused by dermatophytes that live on hair skin and nails.  However, the nail becomes sharp and thick and pushes up the nail bed so then when you injure yourself by bumping the nail even a little, you can get bacteria injected into the skin, which can spread and go systemic if not taken care of. So, the insurance should pay for it for that reason if not anything else. I'm sick of fighting for what we pay for and don't get much out of it. I am soaking my food and using hibiclens twice a day in warm water. But if this doesn't work the doctor wants the toe nail removed. I have a back problem too and am finally making progress after 2 years and I hate to lose that progress by being layed up for a week (not to mention that it probably is painful). Did you just use a cardboard type of nail file (the disposable type)or  a metal one or drummel?
mkh9
Hi agAin, I know it seems like a long time but you don't stay on the oral medication for that long just one or two courses of meds.  It is just thAt it takes a year or longer for a toenail to replace itself.  A fungus is a really hard thing to get rid of too. It can always come back years down the road.  So, use topical meds and oral if the doc says you have nail fungus.

Good luck, suzi20071
Yes, it was the entire toenail bed.  It was caused by an injury to the nailbed.
Thanks for your help. I am still fighting a bacterial infection in addition to the fungal. So, I'm supposed to go back to the GP next Thursday then  maybe to the podiatrist if it isn't healed to remove the nail. I hope I don't have to do that. Does the fungal ridden nail fall off in a couple of months or how long does it take for that part?
thanks,
mkh9
I actually used a file not intended for the nail, because the usual nail file one uses for nails just doesn't work on the toenail.  I used one of those cheap ones meant for the thick skin of our feet.  Then, I used the ordinary nail file to get into the grooves closer to the skin.  I was very, very careful not to file too closely.  But, I did go as far as possible without doing any actual injury.  One can feel the nerves that the nailbed is meant to protect, so as long as one is careful, this can be done.

Anyway, in my own case, it was a necessary matter of being forced to take matters into my own hands before this stuff was to get worse.  I didn't really know about the bacterial part you were talking about by the nail fungus continuing to get worse, but that does make sense.  Fortunately, the white vinegar does have both the antifungal and antibacterial properties.  I do continue to tell people about this, because it did work and it was several years ago that I did all this and the nail is still back to its normal and healthy color.  Now all I do is what I did before the nail fungus appeared, which is just the routine nail trimming that everyone has to do from time to time.  So, I do still think it is worth doing.

The nail never did fall off.  
Well, my whole toe nail is infected with the fungus and when it grew back in it grew in crookedly. I will try the method you suggested next time if this comes back though. I think it is a great alternative to the Lamisil as that is very hard on the liver. I still am fighting the infection (bacterial). We'll see what happens by Thursday when I see my GP. I hope I don't have to get the nail removed surgically. But if it has to come out well, I guess better than a worse infection. I appreciate your help and will keep it in mind. Maybe my husband can use it since he doesn't have the bacterial infection as I do.
thanks again,
mkh9
Hi again, I was wondering how long it will take for the old fungal ridden nail to come off or be pushed away from the nail bed. I have been on Lamisil for 11 days so far.
thanks,
mkh9
My case was different, since I thinned out the nailbed myself.  Still, it only took about two weeks to a month for the nail to return to normal again.
Hi again, sorry it took so long to get back, I wAs on vacation.  I can't give you an exact date but as the nail detatched and turned whitish, I just cut that part off.  Eventually, six months or so, most of it had been replaced by new attached nail. The bottom third never actually came off.  It's a slow process.   Good luck, suzi20071