HIV Prevention Community

******* from HIV positive male

Hello all, thanks for the great work you are all doing here.

Yesterday I received a blowjob from a homosexual HIV + man. I came in his mouth.

I would like to know if i was at risk during this practice, and if yes what should i do.

Thank you all !
Dr. Jose,

I am a heterosexual 19 yr. old male from US and have been reading up on some of your responses regarding insertive oral sex (BJ's). I have seen you state (regarding BJ's without any major twists or extenuating circumstance to their stories) the following....

" First of all, I would like to say that from your description of the events, you have not put yourself at any risk of HIV infection whatsoever"

and also state....

"First of all I would like to say that your encounter, as described, is a very low risk one in regards to HIV. (the person who gives a blow job and receives sperm after ejaculation would be at a slightly higher risk)"

Remember, these are responses to question about simple BJ’s without any rough stuff going on and the answers seem to contradict each other…I mean this respectfully, as I am just confused.

So here's my question as you already know what's coming next. What's the real story regarding BJ's? Is it a low risk or no risk incident for the male? Please be as "detailed" as possible with your response as I think many others may be confused also....respectfully I ask you to please prove your point to me....convince me please on your position here. Can you also explain where the soft tissue membranes are in the penis..are they at the tip of the opening on the penis gland(s) or deeper in the shaft? I'm just trying to better understanding where the point of infection is with a male during normal sex acts. If you couldprovide a link with a picture or diagram of where this ocurrs that would be great.

Sincerely,
Confused

Ps: I truly believe that God has placed people on this earth solely to help others…..I also believe you were created with this in mind…….May God bless you in return.
Unregistered
  #2  
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Dr Jose's Avatar
Dr Jose Dr Jose is offline
Administrator

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,356
Default
Hi there,
I am sorry if some of my replies have caused some confusion. In Medicine, like in many other fields, there are no 0% or 100%'s. I might have said in some posts 'no risk whatsoever' when I probably meant 'such a negligible risk, close to zero, essentially no risk'. Statistics are just statistics and when estimated risks for receptive oral sex (giving a bj) is 0% to 0.004%, but also after many years of experience in this field, I have never (this is a rotund NEVER=0%) seen or dealt or heard of a case of someone becoming infected this way. The estimated risk of receiving a bj is certainly 0%. I apologise if I have sometimes possibly given the impression of contradicting myself. It might be related to the workload that I had on that day, probably trying to answer a post late at night...However I hope that this clarifies this point. You can play the lottery every day, but the chances of winning the first price during your lifetime are not impossible, but they are pretty close to zero.
When you are talking of blow jobs, I assume you refer to heterosexual males. There are plenty of males out there who also enjoy performing them.
If you are usually a receiver of bj, as mentioned before you would not be at any risk at all of HIV infection. The main reason for this is because not only the saliva does not carry the virus, but it also destroys it. Even if the bj performer was positive with bleeding gums and mouth sores, the saliva would get rid of the virus. On top of that, the lining of the glans (head of penis) and opening of the urethra would have to be lacerated in order to gain access into the blood stream. By the way those are the areas where viral transmission happens. Circumcised men have a general lower risk of infection because this lining is tougher and less fragile, less likely to be damaged by intercourse; therefore transmission is less likely to occur.
The photo attached shows the glans, which has the urethral orifice at the top. HIV transmission can happen anywhere in this region.
I hope this helps and clears your doubts.
Best wishes,
Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: Glans.jpg Views: 84 Size: 53.2 KB ID: 500  
Dr Jose
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Dr Jose
Find all posts by Dr Jose
  #3  
Old 01-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest

Posts: n/a
Default Sh3g4e
Doctor,

I only recieve oral sex....never have given it. I have been reading your posts for some time now and have always followed your advice. Protect myself regarding vaginal sex, don't give oral sex just foreplay, and have always thought that a BJ was absolutely safe. I have even considered some of your replies to married men, advising them that it was okay to resume intercourse with their wife after recieving a BJ from a CSW...without even needing a HIV test. Can't they infect their wives if their that one in a million? Maybe I'm just not totally understaning your reply....shouldn't these men have been advised to test as they received an unprotected BJ outside of ther marriage? Do I need to test as well??? Respectfully, and I truely mean respectfully, I ask that you keep your answer detaled but in simple terms so that I am crystal clear....I'm a little,,,,no a lot worried now.
Unregistered
  #4  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Dr Jose's Avatar
Dr Jose Dr Jose is offline
Administrator

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,356
Default
Perhaps I have not been very clear. I reiterate: no risk from receiving a blow job; practically zero risk from giving one. If the sexual encounter has been oral sex only (giving or receiving), we would not recommend patients having an HIV test.
I hope this is a bit clearer.
Best wishes,
Jose
please read the forum...it is FULL of posts regarding oral sex.

to get you started...here are some quotes from the hiv specialists, here at medhelp

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort).  DR. HOOK
Thanks, i went to the hospital too, they gave me combivir, and a follow up treatment.

what a **** treatment i got, they did not explain anything

should i take the medication they gave me ?
you were put on PEP for receiving a blow job?
Yes, they told me because the guy giving the blowjob was known to be positive.

I am confused and anxious now
You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV and whomever put you on nPEP is a quack.
Thanks for the information Teak, so i pretty much shouldnt take the pills they gave me then.
No you shouldn't.
Thanks Teak !

Would taking combivir for 1 week as pep be effective to counter any virus that may have entered the body if any through whatever route?

If i want to get tested, how long would you recommend waiting ?

Thanks again

Best Regards.
I am so divided, the information that you get on the internet says there might be some risk, where as others say there is no risk...

I cannot make sure that he had ulcers or mouth sores, or even blood in his mouth. My penis seems ok with no cuts or sores, but i had sex before with a girl with a condom about 6-7 hours before.

I took a pill of that combivir and i lost all my apetite... Will the combivir be effective if i take it for lets say a week or 2 if there was any virus that came into my body ?
No you dont need pep, because it was such a low risk transmission and pep would only be necessary if your were much more likely to catch hiv. The side effects are extremely severe and its not recommended unless youre at high risk you are at virtually no risk.
In my opinion, if the doctors put him in PEP you are nobody for advise him to interrupt it. Also if you think that oral sex is not at risk for HIV, the doctors are more expert than you and I don't think that fearvishal should interrupt PEP. Teak and Lizzie Lou, you always say that oral sex give or receive is not at risk, but there are (few) case documented of HIV get in this way (only for giving oral sex, no case documented for receive oral sex instead) did you know? So i think that maybe you should change your point of view about this sex act. But this is just my opinion and i can be correct or incorrect exactly as a teak or lizzie lou advise