HIV Prevention Community

Is HIV exposure possible from blood on a napkin/tissue

Hi Guys,

My 2 year old daughter was bleeding from her lip after she fell in a caravan park takeaway store.

The Staff were great and gave us ice to put on the wound. We bought my daughter an ice cream to calm her down.

After she was done with the ice cream my wife told me to get some more tissues/napkins to help wipe the ice cream off my daughters face.

I went back and got some out of the napkin/tissue dispenser. As I took them out I noticed one of the tissues had a reddish brown stain, which looked like it was blood.

I handed the tissues/napkins without the stain to my wife to clean up our daughter. I held the one with the stain to examine it.

My wife finished with the tissues/napkins I gave her then grabbed the one I was holding. She soaked it with bottled water and then wiped her face before I could stop her.

I am now paranoid that it could have been blood and that I have exposed my daughter to HIV as she had a cup bleeding lip.

What are the chances of her getting HIV from a tissue/napkin that has a bloodstain?

Also should I get her tested for HIV or not?

Thank you in advance,
A Concerned Parent
Sorry this line is meant to read: CUT not CUP.

I am now paranoid that it could have been blood and that I have exposed my daughter to HIV as she had a CUT bleeding lip.
HIV is rendered unable to infect once exposed to air, and most certainly once blood has dried.

This is not an HIV concern as you did not put your daughter at risk.