Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community

Sports Head Injury.

A week or so ago when i was at cheerleading practice i was tumbling and when i did my backhandspring i felt some kind of pop on the back right side of my head.  about three inches from my neck and four inches from my ear.  After the pop around that area was hurting very bad.  Along with ear pain.  

Yesterday i had to do a performance where tumbling was required.  After I Did My right side of my head was hurting very bad and i got an immediate headache ONLY on the right side of my head.  I rarely ever get headaches.  Maybe Once everyother month.  The ear pain didnt last that long.  But the headache (only on the right side) lasted from about 2:30-8:00.

I've never had any previous head injuries or anything like that, so i have no clue what i should do.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Aeriel.
Hi.

I believed that what happened is most probably a pulled or sprained tendon that resulted to the headache and the ear pain.  This most commonly results from vigorous and abrupt expansion of an unstretched or inflexible muscle and tendon group.

I suggest you inform your coach regarding this as you may need to have this rested for quite sometime until the sprain and injury can fully recover.  Physical therapy with the proper stretching exercises can also help.

Regards and God bless.