Health Insurance Forum

Health insurance

My son and daughter may be looking for health insurance after they leave college and are no longer dependents.  My daughter has been diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic heart valve.  She has a healthy heart and it is working well.  With this impact her chances to get health insurance on her own?  Will it impact our ability to continue her insurance after the cobra period is over on our insurance?

Dear mar148,

In most cases a bicuspid aortic valve could impact your daughter's chance to obtain an Individual policy, however if she applies for an Individual plan & is not approved, she can opt for COBRA for a limited period of time. If by the time she exhausts COBRA she doesn't find a Group/Employer sponsored plan, she can exercise her HIPAA rights & get a guaranteed issue plan depending upon her state of residence at that time.
For instance in CA, in addition to the major risk pool (www.mrmib.ca.gov), Insurance Carriers offer their 2 most popular plans to individuals who opt to exercise their HIPAA rights after they exhaust COBRA.
Please note that these guaranteed issue plans cost more than their standard underwritten counterparts.

In order to find the right plan/carrier for your son & daughter, you can consult a local broker in your area or go online. There are a number of websites like www.eHealthInsurance.com (where I work) that can provide you with free quotes for all leading Carriers in your area online. If you decide to use eHealth & come up with any questions regarding plans, eligibility or process, you can also call the toll free number & talk to a licensed agent.

Wish you best of luck,

Amir Mostafaie    
If you cannot get into health pools due to Pre-Existing conditons I would recommend looking into programs like Guaranteed Acceptance Healthcare Benefits. Some of them are TeamCorp and USA+  these are set rates and give you benefits that normally you wouldnt be able to get from a standard insurance company.  You can check it out on this page .... look for Guaranteed Acceptance Healthcare Benefits on the page:
http://www.****.***
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.