Ongoing Palpitations

I have a few questions about ongoing palpitations and trying to understand the etiology of them. In particular, PAC's. I delevoped these PAC's this past fall. They come and go and can get quite frequent at times. I have seen a cardiologist (an EP doc) and had an event monitor, bloodwork, and an echo stress test. The PAC's were determined basically benign. But I feel anything but "benign" when they pop up. I'll admit that there is  some anxiety involved when they do occur but otherwise I do not have any issues with anxiety.
Could the palpitations be at all related to Epstein Barr virus?
I tested positive with "recent primary infection" after looking into a possible case of Mono and ongoing fatigue last May.
How and why are PAC's hormonally related to women? The EP doc indicated that he sees a lot of menopausal women with PAC's. I am not menopausal but I am 34 and just recently completely stopped breastfeeding. The PAC's seem to be related to my monthly cycle. But I have never experienced anything like this in the 20 years of having menstrual cycles so why now?
Also, I am told over and over that people have these all the time and I probably have too and I am just more aware of them now. There is NO WAY that I just "became aware" of these PAC's. I am not doubting that I ever have had them but I guarentee that I have never had them like now.
When I get the flare ups of PAC's, it is not just the "skipped beat" feeling that concerns me. I also feel very fatigued, dizzy, and discomfort in my chest area. I get sort of an "aura" and can tell they're coming. What is this?
Oh my gosh...these are my symptoms exactly!  For the last year, I thought I was just crazy.  I'd lie in bed on my left side and could feel my heart pounding against the bed.  I usually can tell before it is going to start, also (the 'aura' that has been described).  I have pain and discomfort on my left side, also.  I had an EKG about a year ago, but my dr. did nothing further.  It was not as extreme then as it is now, so I am going back to see her tomorrow.  

Until I found this forum, I thought for sure I was going to die from a heart attack soon.  

Do many of you experience pain/discomfort?

I have been drinking nutrasweet more often the past 6 months...has anyone noticed a correlation between artificial sweeteners and occurances?

Also, how often do many of you experience these symptoms?  I find that my heart is beating out of my chest about 1/2 the time.  I know that my pulse is not high, as I have had my husband check it (he's a paramedic/firefighter).  In fact, he said it was kind of low (not in a bad way).  But, when I was pregnant the last time (and I do mean LAST!) (over 5 years ago) my pulse was always on the high side, even when I was resting.  My blood pressure has gone up a touch in the past year (was ALWAYS 110/70 and the last time it was 112/72 or something like that).

I would love to hear more reassuring comments that many other people feel the same as I do and they're still alive!

Thanks,
Pam
I would also like to ask if anyone experiences sensations in their left arm?  At times, my arm/hand feels cold and wet (on the inside - if that makes sense) and sort of numb, but again, on the inside.  

Thanks,
Pam
Obviously you are not alone. I initially thought it was weird when I first described the aura but when so many agreed and experienced the same thing it was at least reassuring that I wasn't crazy! Unfortunately, you can feel that way at times and even question yourself. I went through that and realized that what I was experiencing was very real. A lot of us seem to have at least a few of the same symptoms. If anything, you will find support on this board. Especially if you don't get it at home!
Just to let you know that my PVC's and AVNRT started a few months after birth of first child 9 years ago.  I was afraid of falling pregnant with my second child because I did not think my heart would cope.  Once pregnant, I had a smooth 9 months completely 100% arrythmia free.  Must have been something to do with the hormone levels.  Even during the actual delivery (natural) with an epidural, I was totally symptom free.  Symptoms came back a few months later after I stopped breastfeeding.  Also, had an EP Study to get confirmed diagnosis of arrythmias as the uncertainty which the Doctors had - 'it could be this or it could be that' also frightened me.  I refused to consent to an ablation and had only the EP Study.  Told the Dr that once I have a confirmed diagnosis then I would consider my treatment options and would go back for an ablation later if needs be.  Have not had the ablation now one year later almost and symptoms are much better due to the drop in anxiety from worrying about what might be wrong and learning that it is nothing serious and totally benign.  
Good luck with your stress test and ablation procedure.  99% of the time these things seem to be a serious disturbance to quality of life but not dangerous.
Karen
I, too , live in fear of the irregular heartbeats. I canceled a (PAID) trip to the Dominican Republic last year because my episodes were so frequent and I was told that the medical care there is way below our standards. So, I was afraid to go. Last year on vacation to Fl. I had to call 911 because of the palipitations that woke me at 3am....from a deep sleep.
I went on the SOUTH BEACH DIET after reading that a cardiologist formulated it for his patients. It didn't take long for me to notice that the frequency of my palipitations, declined incredibly!
I talked to my Doc about it and he just can't grasp the idea that food can affect heart rhythem.
It has to do with the glycemic input. Food that change to sugar...bread, bananas,rice,pasta,cornand on andon. I am sugar free for the most part.I use Splenda. GET THE BOOK AND FOLLOW IT AND SEE IF THIS DIET HELPS YOU.I am pretty good as long as I follow the diet, get 8-9 hours of sleep, do deep breathing when anxious and take my beta-blocker(Lopressor)
Wellness to you all.
Sugar-free
I concur on the "aura" concept - I've actually been struggling to explain it.  I'm noticing that the PVCs occur when I'm generally feeling a certain way and don't occur (or don't bother me, at least) when I'm not feeling that way.  It's kind of like there are periods of time where I'm "prone" to having PVCs - I feel weak, shaky and just kind of funky.  It comes and goes sometimes for a few hours at a time, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a few days, sometimes longer.  I don't personally have any indication right before the PVC occurs unless I'm having a several in a short period of time, so I don't think I'm feeling the electrical impulse.  

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.