Heart Disease Community

PVCs - any home remedy successes?

Had ablation in 2002 & no AFIB since but plagued with PVCs ever since.  Just had another 24 hr. holter, echo, etc., and all normal except showed 4,000+ PVCs - benign.  So heart in good shape.  I exercise daily, am 6'4" - 180 lbs., 52 yrs. old and am on Flecinade and a beta blocker.  PVCs just seem to keep gradually getting worse(they're bad for a few weeks, not so bad for a few weeks, etc.) and now they're affecting my sleep and exercising (which really tees me off!).  Have been reading/investigating non medicinal ways to reduce the damn PVCs though I realize eliminating them is probably unrealistic.  Heck, I'd be VERY happy to reduce them to just a 'one a minute' frequency.  Have come across many posts supporting changes in diets as well as many variations/combinations of supplements.  I have, for a long time, avoided my triggers (alcohol, sugar, adrenaline, caffeine, etc.).  Have tried many different combinations of supplements and changed my diet but am feeling I'm wandering...trying this one week, and this another.  Much is trial and error and I'm getting frustrated and impatient. I want to hear from anyone who's had significant numbers of PVCs who, in turn, has had real success (assuming there is anyone) reducing them.  I don't care what they did...no possible remedy is too crazy or silly.  I realize what works for one may not work for another but surely there are those who have, perhaps through trial and error, persistence, research and a higher intelligent level than myself (not too hard to find) found success in reducing their frequency. If there is someone 'out there' who would like to share their successes, I'm all ears!!!!
Yes, what liquid mag do you use?  I take magnesium taurate capsules but would really prefer a liquid.  The capsules do help, though.
Thank you for the advice on Mag. I ordered some from Life Wellness. I am so glad to hear that you are getting some relief from these horrible things!!!
I'm using a liquid Mag Citrate by Life Solutions. I checked out a few of my local health food stores first though. Most of them carry one form or another, although alot of the products have calcium in them too.
Most of the health stores will special order a brand for you at no extra cost, so make sure and ask if you can't find any.

When your taking Mag. for arrythmia's, my cardio suggests staying away from supplemental Calcium. Calcium is a neuro-excitor, magnesium is a neuro-relaxor. Mag. also acts as a natural calcium channel blocker.  It's alot harder to get the RDA of mag, then it is calcium. Without a proper balance of these two minerals, magnesium gets depleted, which will result in the negative effects associated with lack of magnesium (arrhythmia's) and a buildup of unassimilated calcium. The biggest side effect of supplemental Magnesium is diarrhea if your taking too much. I take 400 to 500 mg's aday with 0 side effects. A definete sign that I am low like 90% of the population. If you experience diarrhea, simply cut back on the milligram's until you balance out and it disappears.
Within 3 days, I was experiencing 3 to 4 hours of being PVC free, followed by an few hours of the real nasty ones I've been experiencing everyday for 10 months. Day 4 and 5, I went 6 to 8 hours at a time being PVC free and finally on day six, I only had about an hour or two of random ones. Day 7 and so far day 8 have been completely PVC free. It took exactly 1 week for my PVC's to completely disappear. It's really hard to believe it has been a coincedence. I've even engaged in a few known things to trigger them again (drank a Big Gulp of Pepsi, watched a real stressing movie, Sex), and nothing happens. No PVC's whatsoever.

I started on 4 teaspoons of Gaviscon the first few days while I waited for my liquid mag from Life Solutions to get shipped to my chiropractor. You can order it yourself I believe at: http://lifewellness.com/pgroup_descrip/11/51/?mode=image

I'm going to order Natural Calm Powder the next time. It has Mag. Citrate as 615 mg (elemental from magnesium citrate) per 3 teaspoons. It comes in a rasberry lemonade flavor.

Nutricology's liquid magnesium is also a good one. It's magnesium chloride at 66.5 mg's per 1/2 teaspoon, so you can start as slow as you like and work up to about 400 mgs. Liquid Magnesium Chloride has to be stored in the refriderator.
You can order it online here: http://www.nutricology.com/Magnesium-Chloride-Liquid-8-oz-p-16512.html or check your local health stores.
And here's some product info on it. http://www.nutricology.com/proddesc/discuss/NC_MagnesiumProductsPDFSheet120105.pdf

finetilthree: You know, at first, I too was worrrying about mag. possibly making them worse, but after talking to about a dozen doctors, and researching for hours and hours, I was finally convinced that if anything, mag would'nt do a thing, or more likely, it would get rid of them. Once I understood the whole process of how mag acts in the body on nerves, cells, and especially the heart, I can see how magnesium could only help palps....and as long as your not over doing it, there's no side-effects. I've had to take a "what do I have to lose" approach at this point. Magnesium at the RDA levels will not kill me.
My Cardio recommends 300 to 500 elemental mgs. for women over the age of 30.
If you research Magnesium, you'll see that Mag. has been used for over 70 years to actually help correct palps/arrhythmia's and is even given to heart attack victims to improve survival rates. It is also a standard procedure in stopping or correcting  atrial fibrillation, torsade de pointes and severe refractory ventricular fibrillation and has been proven to correct post surgery etopics by 70%.

Best wishes!
Prior to my ablation, Magnesium supplements decreased my PVC to about 66% of what they were without the supplements...not much but something.

sickofpvcs-- Your welcome! I sure hope you find the relief that I have. Let me know how things go for you. I'm almost through day 3 and still PVC-free....

fwilson-- I trust that your ablation has proved successful? :)
I think I would have taken even the 34% reduction over no relief at all a few weeks ago!

It's good to hear that other people have had at least some success with magnesium!
Almost all of the supplement PILLS I researched showed extremely low, less then > 40% dissolution and > 20 % absorption rates versus liquid magnesium which had immediate dissolution rates and up to 98% absorption rates starting in the mouth upon taking it.
From some of the researchers clinical standpoints, liquid magnesium appears to be as close as you can get to the benefits proven in IV or injectable magnesium therapies.

*** The Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) shows that vitamins and minerals in a pill form are only 10 to 20% absorbed by the body. In contrast vitamins and minerals in liquid nutritional supplements form are up to 98% absorbed.***

I have been having PVC's for the past 10 years.  For the past four or five years, they haven't affected me. Just in the past two weeks they have been bothersome.  I had become carefree in my diet.  I began drinking caffeine laden drinks on a daily basis, not taking my supplements, using Splenda and Sweet and Low, having a little too much wine and not sleeping adequately.  Every so often we need a wakeup call.  So this is what I have done, and it is helping..a little better each day.  I gave up the caffeine, have been taking Natural Calm (a magnesium supplement), tabooed the wine (only one glass a week) and nixed the Splenda and Sweet and Low (artificial sweetners aren't good for you and I don't think they can be good for your heart).  And I have gotten back to an 8 hour sleep regime.  I think sometimes we let life go buy and forget about taking care of the only body we have.  It is like a fine turned instrument and when you don't take care of it, just like a car, it acts up.   Another thing I have read is that MSG and glutamates are not good on the heart- I started checking labels and found derivatives of this in too many things.  I got back to eating whole foods. I think all of us would do our bodies good if we just put good old whole foods in our bodies.  THese chemicals are killing us!
Thank you so much for this info. I have been dealing with this only a little while and just got the diagnosis today. Very helpful,  going out to  get Magnesium tonight!
I am a avid rock climber and outdoor enthusiast. I've had PVC's since I was 23 and I am now 34. I know that both my parents get them and my father was in the military and would run 6 miles a day and the PVC's would never affect him. My PVC's come and go, but I like many of the people here started taking an interest and researched about home remedies. I read too that Magnesium really helps decrease the amount of PVC's. I started taking Magnesium supplements and my PVC's completely went away. I would have an occasional every blue moon, but it really helped. It took about 1-2 weeks to show results using the Magnesium supplements.

I stopped taking the Magnesium supplements back in June of 2007 and the PVC's have been coming and going more frequently. I just started taking Magnesium again and I'll post the results in the next week or so. I too have been to the cardiologist wearing heart monitors and taking all kinds of tests and the results were all negative. One thing my parents do is to just ignore them, which works when you have the mind for it. Me being the obsessive, over analyzing person I am, tends to notice every single thing.

I've been bitten by a rattlesnake, rock climb super hard, stress and drink on occasion and I've not had a situation with PVC's the where I felt like I was going to die, they just scare me. I've noticed with myself a correlation between gas and allergies, but it could be just me looking for an answer to make me feel better. I've read a correlation between GERD and PVC's. I've also read about other muscles being too close to the heart and irritating it to cause PVC's. Here's a link to the GERD forum:

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=45&m=308402

On a personal note, I try to just forget about the PVC's I get and enjoy life. I don't let them get in the way of me being happy.
I have had PVCs since being pregnant with our third child 6 years ago. I have had tachycardic episodes on and off since I was a child. I had a Holter monitor done twice (the first time they placed it incorrectly so it registered nothing) and got my results a few weeks ago (the Holter was done almost 4 years ago). I was told that the Holter showed I was having many PVCs (never told this before) and that I was OK. At the time of the Holter I also had a heart ultrasound done and it showed the heart muscle itself to be fine (does not show the state of the veins and arteries, though).

Anyway, FF 4 years. I was so fed up with the palpitations (PVCs) that I decided to go back to my PCP. Was told that I have PVCs. Was put on omeprazole for acid reflux disease last January (2007) after I had an upper endoscopy to rule out any esophageal or stomach disease. In August I was told I have Barrett's Esophagus (the gastro doc had told me I was fine when I went for the follow-up appointment, after the endoscope, in Feb!). Anyway, no sure if there is a link between gastric problems and heart arrhythmia but I have both. I had side effects from the omeprazole (skin rashes, tachycardia, bloating etc but they didn't change my meds and I really hate being on meds anyway). I am now on Prilosec OTC. Not seeing the side effects (yet so hoping for none!).

Last Thursday, after much reading, I started on Magnesium Taurate (500mg). I bought them a month prior, just before my first appointment with a cardiologist (I never got to see one at the time of the Holter), but had not taken any yet. I did ask the cardiologist about magnesium taurate and he totally poo-poohed the notion and told me that too many people rely on supplements rather than FDA-APPROVED (yes, he emphasized that) prescription medication. He heard some PVCs. He said I was tachycardic (my HR was a little higher than usual because I was nervous and I hadn't slept well the night prior) and that he could do electric (I think that's what he said) testing of the heart (feeding wires into it!) and/or put me on beta blockers. I don't want to be on meds (or more meds since I have to be on the acid reducer because of the Barrett's) and I told him that. We talked about ablation briefly.

I am now starting my second week on a 30 day heart monitor. I have called in many PVC epsidoes in the first 3 days but haven't bothered calling any since. I started on magnesium taurate a week ago tomorrow (Thursday of last week) and have NOT FELT A SINGLE PVC in almost 3 days now. I also have not felt the raised HR in the morning that I sometimes (not always, mind you) get.

Is this a coincidence??? Is the magnesium taurate doing this? If so, I am amazed. I put my husband on Natural Calm tonight (magnesium citrate - another supplement I read was great for heart health) just 'for insurance' against heart disease. He doesn't experience any arrhythmia but I think that it's better to be safe than sorry. We are a natural remedies family anyway and I want to make sure he's around for a long time (he is only 38 too so why not keep his heart healthy, right).

So, if you are suffering from any sort of arrhythmia and don't want to try meds (or if the meds are not working or worrying you) try some magnesium taurate or magnesium citrate and see if it helps. Also, do a Google search on those and PACs and/or PVCs. There is a lot of info out there. Of course, this is not an FDA-approved medication but I am really pleased with my results so far.
Hi, just a little update. After getting only 2 or 3 PVCs in an entire week I started getting some yesterday (3 or 4) and today I have had (that I have felt) about 10 - 20. Not sure if it's connected but I just started my period today so I am curious if any other woman out there has them occuring more during their menstrual cycle than the rest of the month. I was getting quite happy about taking magnesium taurate but feel a little disappointed right now. I know it's better than in the 1000s but I was so hoping this would be the miracle cure. Any other woman noticing an increase in frequency during their monthly period?
Whenever it’s the time of the mo th my pic get way worse, how is your magnesium helping?
For the past 17 years I've had palps and they are always worse a few days before my period starts.  
i have been getting pvc`s for the last 6 months and i realy dont know what to do it realy scares me sometimes i feel as i am not doing to wake up. my Dr. tells me to cough lots like that helps. i dont know what to do.
teri
As long as you have a structurally normal heart, the PVCs are considered benign.  I know they don't feel that way, but doctors feel confident that they are more annoying than significant.  Have you had any tests?  Some people find coughing will stop the extra beats, but that doesn't always work.  Try not to worry....

last tuesday i went out had some beers never again the next day the pvc were so bad i just could not stand it. my blood pressure went up too 154/120 my heart rate was 172 i thought for sure that was it.
why are they happening? How did it just start?
i had a monitor for 24 hrs. and the Dr. just told me that i`am having pvc. i live in a very small town, they tell me not to worry but its so hard i have a little boy.
does anyone else have that problem when you go out and drink???
teri
I always got menstrual associated PVC's.  All my investigation leads me to believe they are caused by peaks and valleys in hormones.  I had PVC's the worst in my life the 1st three months of my pregnancy with my only son (at 34 years of age).  That was reason alone not to have more kids.  I began early menopause at the age of 42 and they were even worse than when I was pregnant.  I thought I would die.  I finally resorted to Zoloft as prescribed by my doctor and the palpitations stopped completely.  I stayed on the medicine for 2 years and was PVC free.  I finally decided to go off the medication and the PVC's returned after several months.  Now I go through terrible episodes and then back to no PVC's for no apparent reason.  The past week or so I am back to moderate to severe PVC's and I just can't handle it any more.  I am seriously thinking about returning to the Zoloft to alleviate the ebbs and flows of these "benign" annoyances.  They are robbing me of my sanity.  Good luck with everything.
Thank you so much for the information on magnesium.  My friend and i would buy one this afternoon.  I am having this scary pvc's since february this year after a paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia episode.the pvc episodes are not frequent, yet just the same, i am always scared of them..
Thanks so much again.  and i'l let you know for whatever results i would have.  
May God bless us all!
I noticed someone said that the Dr. told him/her to cough during PVCs...my husband has had these for years and when he has them he involuntarily coughs. Hundreds of times a day, no kidding.

Anyone else out there experience uncontrollable coughing during PVCs?

I'm going to tell him about the Magnesium...sounds positive.
I am a 23 year old male who has been having chest pains and irregular heartbeats since I was 16. I was very active in high school as I was on both the football team and the lacross team. I have been to several different doctors and have had a full battery of tests performed on me including EKG's and stress tests. The results of all of these tests have been negative, yet I continue to experince discomfort in my chest. The sensation I feel in the chest area are like tiny needles poking their way through my heart muscle. At the same time I also can experience irregular heartbeats. I tend to get some relief when I lie down on my back. While the many doctors I have seen keep telling me that I don't have any serious life-threatening disease and pass it off as stress, I feel like there is more to the problem that I am not being told and maybe that's the problem in the first place. The chest pains and irregular heartbeats are really beginning to scare me since they have been going on for several years with no relief in sight. Does anyone have any suggestions or are there any doctors that can provide me with some help or information about my situation? Thank you so much for your time. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I am 71 years young. I had PVC since I was 27. They would come and go. Sometime hang around several weeks and sometime for only a day or so. Then other other times just have one or two and that would be it. In and out of cardio's office when they first began and they had no solution. Last year I was instructed to take Calcium, magnesium and potassium plus L Carnitine. I did that and my palpitations have been reduced by about 95%. By the way two years ago the cardiologist said I was having  PVC and PAC. There again he was not that concerned about them.  Anyway just thought I would relay my experience. Hope this is a help to someone. Now I have never experienced any chest pains. I was a competitive runner 5K and 10K from 40 years old until 57 yrs old.. I never had a PVC when running or I just didn't feel them. I also have never taken a Rx medication for them.
I had PVC's in the hospital and come to find out my potassium and magneeseium (sorry if I spelled them wrong) were really low I had to have them IV medicated. If memory serves me the magneesium through Iv can have high risk. Ihad to be monitored with an ekg and vitals every 15 minutes while I was getting them this happened for 2 days and I have been fine since
good luck
michelle
researching pvc's as i also have long runs, bigeminy, trigeminy, sometimes lasting for hours.  never felt faint or passed out, but, like all the other posts, it does scare me sometimes,  been having them for years, but getting worse over time.  also have mvp with a murmur.  although this can cause pvc's, i am convinced that it is not the cause for my condition.  did take magnesium years ago and it did work miracles.  stopped all pvc's very quickly, so i do recommend it.  coughing seems to be almost a natural reflex when experiencing these pvc's, and it can help.  one maneuver that my cardio told me to do which does work about 75% of the time is to take half a deep breath, close your mouth and strain like you are doing a sit up for a few seconds.  this usually resets the heart to a normal rhythm.  i find it more effective when i lie down.  
  thanks for the magnesium choices.  i will try the liquid mag today.  i have the pills, but fully understand the benefits to a liquid supplement.  
Like many, I've had a frustrating time dealing with PVCs. Good days and bad days, which got me thinking about triggers. Eliminated all the usual - caffeine, alcohol, sugar - better, but still had bad days.Finally figured out that hot sauce was causing them - I LOVE hot peppers and was using a habenero mash almost every day. Capsaicin has a direct effect on the adrenals and it seems that mine are totally out of whack by the mega-doses of capsaicin from the habeneros. It got so bad that now even plain black pepper fires up my palps.

Am feeling much better since I eliminated all the hot peppers and black peppers. Magnesium really helps too - 500mg - 600 mgs / day. As I type this, I'm palp-free for the first time in months.

Hope this helps some of you.

Patrick
***@****

I have acid reflux/GERD. Will Magnesium citrate  make my heartburn worse because of the citrus in it, which is acidic? Thanks.
I have been taking the Magnesium Chloride solution now for 3 weeks.
Prior to this date, including all of 2007 to April 2010 I had over 60,000 PVC events per 24 hours with a heart rate of 37 BPM. In fact the cardiologist said that they gave up counting after the 60,000 mark.

To say the least I was grouchy and unhappy. Cardiologist did not give a good outcome when talking about Ablation. He said the problem was in a very hard place to get to, if they could get to it. So I lived with the problem for 3 years.

After trying the Magnesium Chloride (will try anything as most of you know to get relief) two weeks went by and all of a sudden I have a better attitude. I am not as grouchy to everyone. I feel good and I am starting to think better. In fact I have restarted the projects I had given up on three years ago. My heart rate is 32 BPM for the low reading and 39 BPM for the high readings. Most of the time I am at 35 BPM. I only get winded or feel short of breath once in a while now instead of all the time.

I can build my own ECG equipment so I do not have to wait for a doctor visit. My PVC's seem to be much calmer now. I know I still have them but they are not so dominate in my daily activities. I even mowed the grass and was nowhere as exhausted as I was last year.

I know the Magnesium did something for me. Better attitude and outlook and thinking again. This beats just sitting around angry all the time.

It is worth a try if you are having problems.

Mean while the cardiologist is sizing me up for a pacemaker now. He told me that one day I will wake up in the hospital with a brand new pacemaker.

***@****

Sorry to hear you about your attacks. I noticed someone recommended Hawthorn Berry Tea for you. Personally I would go for the extract as it's a higher concentration. I know a few ppl who have had success with it.

Also with your magnesium (if possible get it in a chelate, powder form- higher absorbtion & qnty of actually magnesium) it is worth making sure your potassium level is right to as they both work a bit of each other.

One of my favourite is Pau D'Arco & garlic. Both are brilliant anti-fungal and anti-bacterial additions to your diet, which can help if you think you're palpitations are related from these factors.

No doubt PVCs are a terrible thing to burden; especially for those of you who have them so frequently.
Thankfully these abnormalities are mostly innocent and benign but of course try telling that to someone who is continually pplagued with them.

I have PVCs (not as frequent as some of you guys) and I am of the opinion they are nearly always due to to Stress and or Anxiety. I got so annoyed with them on several occasions that I decided to have a few beers.....Yes you got it the accohol calmed my stress and anxiety and in turn god rid of my PVCs. Hey I'm not saying to become a drunk.
Goodness not great advice perhaps but  it works for me. Oh I shall try the Magnesium.
Chris (Ireland)
May I suggest that you PVC Sufferers have a couple of beers during an episode.
I guarntee your PVCs will diminish.

Chris (Ireland)
HI. I've had tachycardia since the age of 11 - I'm now 56. I coped with them because my heart returned to a normal beat after an episode - coffee, alcohol, etc. would bring them on and they'd last longer. Recently things have changed - now it's an irregular heart beat many,many times a day - had an ECG doc gave me a beta blocker but things are only a little calmer. I'm not sure why things have changed and these are far worse than having tachycardia. I'm going to try magnesium but grateful for any more info.
Ive just been diagnosed with PVC's - utterly horrible - they started about 3 months ago but have become chronic beyond belief. My heart is flapping around all day, I have several every minute. Ive had an ECG but no holter monitor. My doctor advised me to go away and forget about them. That is rather hard, they feel dreadful and cause a kind of depression too I've found... Im terrified and heart rate is rapid, they go all through the night. I havent tried magnesium yet, im so far just taking Apple Cider Vinegar, but will go and find some magnesium this week..
Doctors are generally unresponsive when it comes to patients worrying about pvcs -- mine claims they are more of an annoyance than anything else. They obviously don't realize how scary they are. I'm on Sotalol to control mine, but I'm interested in the posts about magnesium. I never knew anything about that.

Those of us diagnosed with benign PVC's and no evidence of coronary heart disease  should review their medications...  In my case I was taking ambien to get to sleep because the PVC's kept me up ( Holter study in Dec. "11 13,000/24 hrs) ... I also had symptoms of non-acid reflux GERD - abdominal pain.  After an internet search  I discovered a connection between ambien and reflux.  I stopped taking ambien in December, '11 and within a week not only my abdominal pain went away but so did my episodes of PVC's. I still have the occasional skipped beat but the bi- and tri- geminey that went for hours is gone, but not forgotten.  Even though I don't sleep as well I don't have PVC's.
I wore the Holter monitor a few days ago and I pressed the button 140 times.  Doctor said I had some PVC's.  I really do not think that he analyzed all of the episodes on the Holter monitor.  He is referring me to a cardiologist.  I wanted to say that I began taking potassium, magnesium about 1 week ago(the PVc's have been really crazy the last few months and have had them for about 4 years and last night I splurged on another supplement CoQ-10.  I took one at about 7:00 p.m. last night and by about 11:00 p.m. my PVC's stopped .  This morning too I feel great and have had like one PVC in the last 4 hours.  I can not wait to take my next dose of the CoQ-10.  I read about about many people having great success with the Co-Q10.  It is a enzyme that is for your heart and heart function.  It even says that on the label.  I also started Vitamin E last night and it is great for heart helth.  Go check out the CoQ-10 online or go take a look at the Wal-mar or health food store, it is not very cheap but I am thinking that this may just be the supplement that I am looking for.  I think that it has maybe done the trick after just one dose.  My heart would have already skipped about 25 times this morning and would have been trying to flip flop around when I tried to go to bed last night.  It has been skipping pretty constant for about 3 months now.  Pretty much all day.  I am thrilled to find this blog and so happy that the Coq-10 seems to be working so well already. It also may be the fact that is is one week since I started the Magnesium and Potassium.  I hear it takes those two supplements a week or two tom take effect.
I am a 30 year old male and I have had undiagnoced PVC for who knows how long. This last week tho I finally decided to get checked for an irregular heart beat. The second they hooked me up to an EKG they noticed my heart would pause every 40-60 seconds and then restart. Soon as it was diagnosed  I felt terrible so bad a that the PVC's got worse with the stress. I couldn't even sleep at night the PVC's would scare me and send a rush of adrenaline through my body making me very nervous .I started doing some research and heave started taking 400-500 mgs of potassium a day, plus an omega 3-6-9 formula thats supposed to help with heart health As well as baby aspirin 85 mgs in the morning. I have also cut out all aspartame from my diet. I was hooked on no sugar juices mixes eg.Crystal lite and Nestea ice tea. All these things have helped but did not make my symptoms go away completely. One this that has been a life saver was something I stumbled upon on YouTube. A woman was talking about stomach problems and her PVC's. She recommended a Vagus Nerve massage the second i did this by rubbing my stomach deeply into my abdominals under my rib cage they intensity of the PVC's went away. So much so that last night i slept with out even feeling them. This really works!! Please look into Vagus nerve massage.
Yes, the Vagus massage does help but the effects are temporary. Try taking GABA 750mg every day. The GABA supports your parasympathetic nervous system which impacts your Vagus nerve from within. It has virtually done away with my PVCs. I take L-Theanine 100mg along with the GABA and that may help as well. Also...NO caffeine..not even decaf for me...and no HOT drinks as this irritates the vagus nerve. Any time you eat or drink too much it can set off the PVCs as the Vagus is irritated. Try the GABA. It really works to fix what's wrong with the Vagus from within...you can reduce the dosage gradually and wean yourself off gradually. From what I've read, the GABA is harmless.
I've had PVC's for around 20 years now. I hate them like the rest of you. Something to note that may not be the case for everyone, but if you observe that your PVCs come after eating, and you are someone who exercises regularly, there is a possibility that you aren't getting enough calories. Might be worth doing a calorie count, and finding out from a trainer or nutritionist what your calorie intake should be given your exercise regimen. My calorie needs are around 2500/day given my exercise routine and build etc, but for about a year, I wasn't paying attention, thinking I was eating healthily, and was only getting around 1800/day. Like clockwork everyday within an hour after exercising, my heart would start with its tricks.
Believe me, it might work because if you are really stressed, it's better to have the effects of alcohol than to have the stress. But alcohol sometimes makes them worse. I've had PVC's now for 5 years and I've had 5 tachycardia attacks in that time. I had to stop drinking, though I love it. If you've never had a PVC, it's really hard to understand the fear about them. I've passed 4 kidney stones and I prefer to pass another one than to have PVC's or tachycardia attacks.
I have a lot less PVC's and palpitations when I take a chelated magnesium suppement.  I use Solgar brand Chelated Magnesium, which is magnesium glycinate.  I take 2 pills (100mg each) twice a day.  If I stop taking it for a day or two, I can definitely tell that I need to go back to it.  

I was on metoprolol for several years, and that did take care of the problem for a long time.  Eventually, the side effects of metoprolol became worse than the PVCs, though.  As the side effects of the metoprolol got worse, it also seemed like the effectiveness of it in controlling my PVCs became less.  In the end, there was no good reason to continue taking the metoprolol.

Drinking alcohol makes my PVCs worse afterward.  The next morning when I wake up, my heart feels like it's skipping a lot of beats.
This was a super helpful blog to read. My PVC's (that skipped beat feeling in my chest that really feels SIGNIFICANT -- that's what we're talking about, right?) have been more associated with stress and anxiety too. Though sometimes they start in the middle of my most calm moments. Like others - docs say benign.. But when mine strike - the blood flow to the head interrupts ever so slightly and I feel the slightest bit dizzy.. It's just a mess.

I am intrigued to try and start the liquid magnesium talked about early in the thread. I have many of the other symptoms of poor magnesium levels (like soreness of muscles endless fatigue, etc). Thought I was just getting 'old' (at 51). I always wondered why my magneisum blood test always came back normal. Now I know it's not a reliable test.

Thanks all!
Grant
I had PVCs for at least a year. After many trips to the doctor and even one to the ER, I figured it out. I was taking Xanax because of a anxiety caused by a motorcycle accident and I accidentally got hooked on it. All benzodiazapines are addictive and a patient can get addicted and start experiencing horrible PVCs as a between dose symptom. In effect, the drug was causing anxiety as it would wane from your system. Then you need to take more Xanax to get the PVCs calmed down and the cycle gets worse. I stopped the Xanax and the PVC and anxiety got much worse as my dependence had gotten out of hand. I am benzo free for two months and have PVCs but are getting better. Most signs indicate that within a year I should be normal and PVC free.
I have had cardiomyopathy for 11+ years now. I have a defibrillator and never been shocked until just recently. Out of the blue my heart stopped and I passed out. My docs think it was a random event and tell me not to worry because my device did it's job...... easier said than done. PVC's have always bothered me, but were pretty much under control until this episode. Now I get terrible bouts of them. It's really weird though, they mostly come after a meal. I take 250mg of magnesium and I think I will up my dose after reading everyone's input, but I am curious if anyone else has had a correlation of PVC"s and food.
Yes!  My sister and I have arrhythmia (she gets pvc and I get pac's) when we need lecithin and glucose.  Lecithin is a natural source of choline, and rice is a natural source of glucose.  It often takes a few doses of lecithin (I take quite a bit...it is a food) like 3 or 4 of the large softgels (or 6 or 7 of the small ones) at several consecutive meals along with getting enough glucose in my meals and then they go away.  This has worked for my sister too.

Another thing to watch out for is bromide (in bread and some mineral supplements), which can exacerbate the arrhythmia for me.
My husband has undergone echocardiogram, stress test, holter monitor x 24 hrs.   It revealed 10,000+ PVC's in a 24 hour period.  We are going back tomorrow for his 1st appt with his new cardiologist.  This blog has been very helpful.  Hubby does not "feel" the pvc's but is almost always very tired.  I am going to talk to him about the liquid mag.
i had some issues with PVC male 58, overweight, no cholesterol, no High Blood Pressure, no diabetes, was an athlete when younger, that helped I guess
Went to the doctor in the hospital who proposed some meds with helped moderately over a 2 week period and I am not a fan of chemical aids like drugs
I found this site, took 2 * CoQ10, 3 * omega fish oil and 2 Mag 64 magnesium choride
Problems are gone now after 4 weeks
Thank you for the advice, I have been having PVC for about 3 months.  I have been going to the ER and being sent home and wondering don't they care?  I am going to try the diet change and Magnesium today.

Sarrilea
I was just curious to all the people on here with PVC's are any of you on Thyroid medication? Recently myself and two others that are on thyroid med's have been diagnosed with PVC's and we are now wondering if there is a connection to this. My friend stopped doing his thyroid medication for about two weeks and had no PVC's but then of course his thyroid suffered so had to restart his med's again. So I am just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. I also have just started trying magnesium to see if they decrease will you posted on that.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions! Diana
I've been having PVC's for over 25 years. I used to play football (soccer), very active at work as a firefighter, and now I work as a football coach. The PVC's can get very active after a meal, and definitely the day after a good drink (beer)

I've been taking Magnesium for over 5 years now and even though they calm the PVC's down, they don't get rid of them entirely. Magnesium is also good for anxiety, with some Doctors claiming Magnesium deficiency is the main cause of both anxiety and depression.

So for those that are worried about PVC's, then don't be. After 25 years the active life I've had, if PVC's where a heart problem, then I wouldn't be writing this now. Plus with the evidence that Magnesium prevents and treats anxiety, then you're killing two birds with one stone!
hypnotherapy has done wonders
I feel your frustration and have been there! I put myself on a supplement called GABA about a month ago and my PVCs are almost completely gone. I started taking the 500mg capsules twice a day and am now on 750mg just every morning (once a day). I also take 100mg of L-Theanine every morning as well as vit B6 100mg and a Taurine supplement. It's the GABA that's made all the difference and I have done enough research to understand why. I'm a critical care nurse and the other day I told one of our best cardiologist what I had been trying and how well it worked. She was impressed that I had deduced that the GABA could help me and she agreed that the logic and science was sound in my coming to using it. It has to do with your own body's production of GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid) and your parasympathetic nervous system and how these 2 impact your Vagus nerve which affects your heart and can cause it to fire extra ventricular contractions. Anyway, the science is sound and it surely has worked for me.... That and I no longer take ANY caffeine nor do I drink anything warmer than lukewarm as this can affect the Vagus nerve as well. Good luck. Hope this helps!
I am flummoxed by the spate of these discommoding bstards; they do have a penchant for arriving at certain times of notable activities / positioning of the body (after meals, when i labor breathing from anxiety, exercise, lying on left side,  bending over, ) but has anybody gotten them from being entranced in a deep thought?  For ex., i would often find myself daydreaming with its associated deep focus, and somehow a powerful pvc would zap me right out of the aforesaid thought.  It needn't be a panicky thought,  just intently focused. Finally,  some are ruing over which precedes the other : is it the pvcs then the anxiety, or the other way around.  Or both: once the cat is out, there's no method. They scare me so, so much, even despite having tests performed to rule out something more sinister.  
I had my first PVC at 18; nearly 50 years later, I have them more frequently, and went on a beta blocker (Sotalol) to help control them. I've never smoked, never used caffeine, and drink very, very little. Your post was in 2007. Any changes in your nonmedicinal trials since then? I'm wondering if there's a connection between diet and the pvcs. I'm not overweight, but my diet is not the best.