Heart Disease Community

PVCs - any home remedy successes?

Had ablation in 2002 & no AFIB since but plagued with PVCs ever since.  Just had another 24 hr. holter, echo, etc., and all normal except showed 4,000+ PVCs - benign.  So heart in good shape.  I exercise daily, am 6'4" - 180 lbs., 52 yrs. old and am on Flecinade and a beta blocker.  PVCs just seem to keep gradually getting worse(they're bad for a few weeks, not so bad for a few weeks, etc.) and now they're affecting my sleep and exercising (which really tees me off!).  Have been reading/investigating non medicinal ways to reduce the damn PVCs though I realize eliminating them is probably unrealistic.  Heck, I'd be VERY happy to reduce them to just a 'one a minute' frequency.  Have come across many posts supporting changes in diets as well as many variations/combinations of supplements.  I have, for a long time, avoided my triggers (alcohol, sugar, adrenaline, caffeine, etc.).  Have tried many different combinations of supplements and changed my diet but am feeling I'm wandering...trying this one week, and this another.  Much is trial and error and I'm getting frustrated and impatient. I want to hear from anyone who's had significant numbers of PVCs who, in turn, has had real success (assuming there is anyone) reducing them.  I don't care what they did...no possible remedy is too crazy or silly.  I realize what works for one may not work for another but surely there are those who have, perhaps through trial and error, persistence, research and a higher intelligent level than myself (not too hard to find) found success in reducing their frequency. If there is someone 'out there' who would like to share their successes, I'm all ears!!!!
So sorry you are being plagued by the #$%@ pvcs!  They can be unnerving, and finding a "cure" seems nearly impossible.  That said, I found ultimate success with ablations.  BUT, prior to that I tried flecainide, then rhythmol.  Has your doctor considered changing your medication?  For me, the rhythmol worked well and I had fewer side effects.

Having pvcs is annoying, but having them when you exercise, that really stinks!  I used to get them when I lifted anything over my head (weights included, small ones though...lol)

Good luck with finding what works best for you.
As for home remedies, try hawthorn berry tea when you're going through a bad bout with the palps.  It helps me sometimes!
It's so flipping frustrating isn't it?!!! I just went thru a 10 month phase of horrible runs, couplets, bigimeny everyday in the 10,000's. I took Toprol and couldn't even get out of bed. Started Sectral and within an hour, things only got worse. Anyway, I started taking around 400 to 500 mgs. of plain liquid magnesium about a week ago and when I woke up yesturday they were gone! Poof! Just like that. Its been a blissful, completely PVC-free 29 hours so far.
My Cardio/EP is a huge advocate for mag. getting rid of PVC's, but I never gave it much of a chance and was never diligent in taking it everyday....until last week when I just couldn't take the runs of PVC's anymore. Like you, I was willing to try anything.
By the way, serum blood tests do little to nothing in showing a mag. deficiency.  To get the needed daily amount, one has to eat huge amounts equivalent to 12 cups of broccoli, or 14 banana's, or 20 cups of spinach, etc. and that's EVERYDAY, not just a few times a week.

"While magnesium deficiency is fairly common, it is frequently overlooked as a source of problems. The reason is that serum magnesium levels (the test most doctors use) do not reflect body stores of magnesium. Blood levels are kept within the normal range at the expense of other tissues. Supplemental vitamin D or calcium reduces magnesium uptake.

Magnesium supplementation has been shown to be an extremely effective therapy or adjunctive measure in many common conditions especially cardiovascular disease. Magnesium is absolutely essential in the proper functioning of the heart. Magnesium's role in preventing heart disease and strokes is generally well-accepted. In addition, there is a substantial body of knowledge demonstrating that magnesium supplementation is effective in treating a wide range of cardiovascular diseases.

For example, magnesium was first shown to be of value in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias in 1935. More than seventy years later, there are now numerous double-blind studies showing magnesium to be of benefit for many types of arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation, ventricular premature contractions, ventricular tachycardia, and severe ventricular arrhythmias."
can you tell me where to get liquid magnesium?  does it come in any particular strength?  is there a chance it could make palps worse?
Yes, what liquid mag do you use?  I take magnesium taurate capsules but would really prefer a liquid.  The capsules do help, though.
Thank you for the advice on Mag. I ordered some from Life Wellness. I am so glad to hear that you are getting some relief from these horrible things!!!
I'm using a liquid Mag Citrate by Life Solutions. I checked out a few of my local health food stores first though. Most of them carry one form or another, although alot of the products have calcium in them too.
Most of the health stores will special order a brand for you at no extra cost, so make sure and ask if you can't find any.

When your taking Mag. for arrythmia's, my cardio suggests staying away from supplemental Calcium. Calcium is a neuro-excitor, magnesium is a neuro-relaxor. Mag. also acts as a natural calcium channel blocker.  It's alot harder to get the RDA of mag, then it is calcium. Without a proper balance of these two minerals, magnesium gets depleted, which will result in the negative effects associated with lack of magnesium (arrhythmia's) and a buildup of unassimilated calcium. The biggest side effect of supplemental Magnesium is diarrhea if your taking too much. I take 400 to 500 mg's aday with 0 side effects. A definete sign that I am low like 90% of the population. If you experience diarrhea, simply cut back on the milligram's until you balance out and it disappears.
Within 3 days, I was experiencing 3 to 4 hours of being PVC free, followed by an few hours of the real nasty ones I've been experiencing everyday for 10 months. Day 4 and 5, I went 6 to 8 hours at a time being PVC free and finally on day six, I only had about an hour or two of random ones. Day 7 and so far day 8 have been completely PVC free. It took exactly 1 week for my PVC's to completely disappear. It's really hard to believe it has been a coincedence. I've even engaged in a few known things to trigger them again (drank a Big Gulp of Pepsi, watched a real stressing movie, Sex), and nothing happens. No PVC's whatsoever.

I started on 4 teaspoons of Gaviscon the first few days while I waited for my liquid mag from Life Solutions to get shipped to my chiropractor. You can order it yourself I believe at: http://lifewellness.com/pgroup_descrip/11/51/?mode=image

I'm going to order Natural Calm Powder the next time. It has Mag. Citrate as 615 mg (elemental from magnesium citrate) per 3 teaspoons. It comes in a rasberry lemonade flavor.

Nutricology's liquid magnesium is also a good one. It's magnesium chloride at 66.5 mg's per 1/2 teaspoon, so you can start as slow as you like and work up to about 400 mgs. Liquid Magnesium Chloride has to be stored in the refriderator.
You can order it online here: http://www.nutricology.com/Magnesium-Chloride-Liquid-8-oz-p-16512.html or check your local health stores.
And here's some product info on it. http://www.nutricology.com/proddesc/discuss/NC_MagnesiumProductsPDFSheet120105.pdf

finetilthree: You know, at first, I too was worrrying about mag. possibly making them worse, but after talking to about a dozen doctors, and researching for hours and hours, I was finally convinced that if anything, mag would'nt do a thing, or more likely, it would get rid of them. Once I understood the whole process of how mag acts in the body on nerves, cells, and especially the heart, I can see how magnesium could only help palps....and as long as your not over doing it, there's no side-effects. I've had to take a "what do I have to lose" approach at this point. Magnesium at the RDA levels will not kill me.
My Cardio recommends 300 to 500 elemental mgs. for women over the age of 30.
If you research Magnesium, you'll see that Mag. has been used for over 70 years to actually help correct palps/arrhythmia's and is even given to heart attack victims to improve survival rates. It is also a standard procedure in stopping or correcting  atrial fibrillation, torsade de pointes and severe refractory ventricular fibrillation and has been proven to correct post surgery etopics by 70%.

Best wishes!
Prior to my ablation, Magnesium supplements decreased my PVC to about 66% of what they were without the supplements...not much but something.

sickofpvcs-- Your welcome! I sure hope you find the relief that I have. Let me know how things go for you. I'm almost through day 3 and still PVC-free....

fwilson-- I trust that your ablation has proved successful? :)
I think I would have taken even the 34% reduction over no relief at all a few weeks ago!

It's good to hear that other people have had at least some success with magnesium!
Almost all of the supplement PILLS I researched showed extremely low, less then > 40% dissolution and > 20 % absorption rates versus liquid magnesium which had immediate dissolution rates and up to 98% absorption rates starting in the mouth upon taking it.
From some of the researchers clinical standpoints, liquid magnesium appears to be as close as you can get to the benefits proven in IV or injectable magnesium therapies.

*** The Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) shows that vitamins and minerals in a pill form are only 10 to 20% absorbed by the body. In contrast vitamins and minerals in liquid nutritional supplements form are up to 98% absorbed.***

I have been having PVC's for the past 10 years.  For the past four or five years, they haven't affected me. Just in the past two weeks they have been bothersome.  I had become carefree in my diet.  I began drinking caffeine laden drinks on a daily basis, not taking my supplements, using Splenda and Sweet and Low, having a little too much wine and not sleeping adequately.  Every so often we need a wakeup call.  So this is what I have done, and it is helping..a little better each day.  I gave up the caffeine, have been taking Natural Calm (a magnesium supplement), tabooed the wine (only one glass a week) and nixed the Splenda and Sweet and Low (artificial sweetners aren't good for you and I don't think they can be good for your heart).  And I have gotten back to an 8 hour sleep regime.  I think sometimes we let life go buy and forget about taking care of the only body we have.  It is like a fine turned instrument and when you don't take care of it, just like a car, it acts up.   Another thing I have read is that MSG and glutamates are not good on the heart- I started checking labels and found derivatives of this in too many things.  I got back to eating whole foods. I think all of us would do our bodies good if we just put good old whole foods in our bodies.  THese chemicals are killing us!
Thank you so much for this info. I have been dealing with this only a little while and just got the diagnosis today. Very helpful,  going out to  get Magnesium tonight!
I am a avid rock climber and outdoor enthusiast. I've had PVC's since I was 23 and I am now 34. I know that both my parents get them and my father was in the military and would run 6 miles a day and the PVC's would never affect him. My PVC's come and go, but I like many of the people here started taking an interest and researched about home remedies. I read too that Magnesium really helps decrease the amount of PVC's. I started taking Magnesium supplements and my PVC's completely went away. I would have an occasional every blue moon, but it really helped. It took about 1-2 weeks to show results using the Magnesium supplements.

I stopped taking the Magnesium supplements back in June of 2007 and the PVC's have been coming and going more frequently. I just started taking Magnesium again and I'll post the results in the next week or so. I too have been to the cardiologist wearing heart monitors and taking all kinds of tests and the results were all negative. One thing my parents do is to just ignore them, which works when you have the mind for it. Me being the obsessive, over analyzing person I am, tends to notice every single thing.

I've been bitten by a rattlesnake, rock climb super hard, stress and drink on occasion and I've not had a situation with PVC's the where I felt like I was going to die, they just scare me. I've noticed with myself a correlation between gas and allergies, but it could be just me looking for an answer to make me feel better. I've read a correlation between GERD and PVC's. I've also read about other muscles being too close to the heart and irritating it to cause PVC's. Here's a link to the GERD forum:

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=45&m=308402

On a personal note, I try to just forget about the PVC's I get and enjoy life. I don't let them get in the way of me being happy.