Hepatitis C Community

Can Hepatitis C and HIV contracted from dried blood?

Yesterday I got needle stick/puncture in my left index finger by a needle that a person who injects drugs.  The needle had dried brown  blood in the barrel/cylinder.  I did not bleed from the needle stick or puncture nor I did not see a broken skin.  I only see a slight grazed or scrape.  What is the possibility of my contracting Hepatitis C and HIV from this incident?
If the needle entered your blood stream and hep c infected blood came into contact with your blood your odds of transmission are about 1.8%

You may want to discuss your risk with your doctor. You can wait 6 months after this incident and get a hep c antibody test to make sure you are not infected.

Do you know if the person is infected with either hep c or HIV?

As far as HIV you can ask in the HIV community or better still speak with your doctor.
Hi there, Here is some more information about what Hep C is and how it is transmitted. You need blood to blood contact, as flyinlynn says.
http://www.medhelp.org/hepatitis-c/articles/What-Is-Hepatitis-C/2251

For HIV questions, please visit our HIV Prevention community: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIV-Prevention/show/79