Hepatitis C Community

Gamma globulin shot

Will getting a Gamma globulin shot help to strengthen a weak liver.
Thought Gamma Globulin shots were to buck up the immune system. Whether that eventually strengthens the liver, couldn't say. Nothing though will stop the damage being done by Hep C unless you treat. Welcome and tell us about your status. You have Hep C, have you treated before? Had a liver biopsy? What were the results? What is your Hep C type? Welcome to the group, keep in touch.
I also thought gamma globulin was to protect the immune system, saying that because I had a gamma globulin back in 68 I was 8 years old, the whole family was exsposed to a guy at the base grill who had hep a so we were given the gamma globulin as protection. Welcome to the forum, you will find alot of knowlegable people on here, I am still learning but did want to answer about the gamma globulin. :) sorry bout the spelling
Gamma globulin is not standard treatment for either liver disease or hepatitis C. So either you have active hepatitis A for which it is a standard treatment or some other illness (measles)... or your doctor is experimenting on you. I would run, not walk away from this doctor if he believes that Gamma globulin is going to "strengthen a weak liver". He or she is practicing non standard treatment. What is a "weak liver" suppose to mean? There is no such medical term. It has no meaning.

A hepatologist is a doctor that specializes in liver disease. I would suggest you find one if you have liver disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_globulin

"Gamma globulin injections are usually given in an attempt to temporarily boost a patient's immunity against disease. Injections are most commonly used on patients who have been exposed to hepatitis A or measles, or to make a kidney donor and recipient compatible regardless of blood type of tissue match."

Good luck.
Hector
I was given the gamma globulin shot after being exposed to Hep A from someone I worked with back in the 70's. I have read it could have been a source for Hep C transmittal back then. I really be cautious with thinking it would strengthen your immune system.