Hepatitis C Community

Hep C Related Conditions

Are gall bladder and kidney damage associated with Hep C infection? If so, please explain the relationship and possible effects.
I think you need to see a doctor about your problems and concerns.  Good Luck
I've wondered that myself.  I have kidney stones and gall stones, but I haven't read any studies showing heppers have a higher likelihood of either.
absolutely hcv can cause extrahepatic issues that affect the kidneys and it can cause chronic kidney disease.  Kidney damage is a valid concern.  This is a small sampling of available info on the topic:

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Bonkovsky-2.html
"The most common kidney disease related to hepatitis C infection is membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN) (6). The prevalence of MPGN varies with geographical location. It is more common in Japan and is less frequently seen in France. Patients with MPGN usually complain of weakness, edema and have systemic arterial hypertension. Urine of such patients contains a lot of protein (>3.5 g/day), a condition called nephritic syndrome. Other abnormalities include low serum albumin (due to losses in the urine), decreased complement levels, and the presence of rheumatoid factor and cryoglobulins. MPGN may sometimes occur in the absence of cryoglobulinemia. Another kidney disease called membranous nephropathy (MN) is less common in HCV infected patients and is not associated with cryoglobulinemia or rheumatoid factor but is associated with heavy proteinuria (7). The mechanism of the disease is still unclear, but some studies suggest that it is caused by circulating complexes of antibodies and HCV particles directly causing damage to the kidneys as they are deposited in the glomerulus and tubules of the kidneys. Some authors recommend treatment of patients with HCV-related kidney disease even in the absence of active liver disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18397713
1: Clin Nephrol. 2008 Mar;69(3):149-60.Links
Hepatitis C virus-related kidney disease: an overview.Kamar N, Izopet J, Alric L,

"Hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infection leads to chronic liver disease, but also to extra-hepatic manifestations, including kidney disease."

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/KLS/CEhepCMonograph.cfm
Hepatitis C-Related Renal Disease: An Unrealized Challenge

"Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is reported to be associated with a 3-fold increase in the relative risk for developing chronic kidney disease (CKD). Research conducted to determine the proportion of HCV-infected patients who develop CKD indicated that the prevalence of CKD in HCV-positive patients was 5-fold higher than that in HCV-negative patients."

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AASLD/11630
AASLD: HCV Linked to Higher Risk of Kidney Cancer

"Hepatitis C infection may double the risk of renal cell carcinoma, according to a retrospective review of a large database.

"HCV infection increases the risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and other hematopoietic malignancies. Chronic HCV also is associated with various kidney disorders and chronic kidney disease, said Dr. Gordon."

thanks alagirl!
no problem :)
Hi, I treated the Hep C 3A 10 years ago with Peg-interferon and ribravirin and was cleared. I now have proteinuria etc. I went to a nephrologist and he sent me through a whole bunch of blood and urine tests, they came up with a monoclonal IgG protein which might cause MM but I feel it is from Hep C. I was negative for Cryo but feel Lab Corp didn't do the test right. Have you heard of anyone who has a case like mine?  Thanks Hope all is well with you.