Hepatitis C Community

Hep C positive test result

Hi there everyone! Im kinda new here and just been diagnosed through a blood test with Hepatitis C. It was a routine test from my Rheumatologist. Im hoping its a false positive but chances are its not. My luck hasnt been so good this year starting in Jan with being told I have diabetes and my kidneys are releasing to much protein in my urine.  I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me about prednisone. My doctor put me on this for some issues I was having with my butt cheek and leg hurting all the way to my ankle. I think its my schiatic nerve, she gave me 40mg of prednisone a day for 3 days then cut it down to 20 mg a day for 4 days to wean me off it. A week and a half after coming off prednisone I had a bunch of blood work done and it came back positive for Hep C.  I know prednisone can cause false positives on some test but can it cause a false positive for Hep C??  Only answer please if you know for sure the answer to this because I am really scared right now for my 2 daughters whom I am hoping do NOT have this Hep C too..... Has anyone been told they have Hep C after 1 blood test but due to being on prednisone it was a false positive?  PLEASE help, thank you
My research shows no link to prednisone and a false positive for hep C.  Let me ask what did your results show:  Anti-HCV positive or HCV RIBA positive?
all they told me was I tested positive for Hep C.....that was the extent of my phone call.....they have left me hanging, only learned what it is due to research on the web
Most of us were shocked and upset when first diagnosed.
If your worried about your kids having it, then rest assured that if you are hep C positive, there is a chance that they do have it, but many, many people here have raised kids, never knowing they had hep C, and their children didn't have it.

You need a doctor you trust. You have the right to copies of all your blood work.
If you are in doubt, get another test, or see another doctor.
When I was diagnosed, I was upset & worried my family didn't have it. The doc assured me my wife didn't have it, kids didn't have, but get my wife  get a C check. She hasn't gotten one yet but shall soon.

I was notified Memorial Day(almost the anniversary) weekend by phone by my PCP who I've know & joked with for years......I trust this person.....In fact last Tuesday was the first time I've seen him since the tx started.....he referred me to a hepatologist.....so I've put my trust in my new buds.....