Hepatitis C Community

Is Medical Marijuana Helpful for Side Effects?

I'll be starting Incivek (Telaprevir), Ribavirin, and Interferon; does anyone know if medical marijuana has helped with the side effects? I'm in California where it's legal. I am not a marijuana user but I'm wondering if it might be useful in this case.
i have been on interferon and ribavirin for hip c in 1998 1999 after 18 months of taking the prescribed injection, yesterday on the 29th of June 2011 i was told by a liver specialist and blood tests etc that i need a liver Transplant, i would like very much for any help with someone that experienced the same outcome and how to go about the process of finding a donor.
samikawar - click on the post a question button at the top of the page and post your question with a title like "transplant information request"  that should help you get responses.  i am not at that stage yet so i cannot help you.

stevepo- one of the most prolific posters (jmjm) here treated a couple of years ago.  he was seeing one of the top liver docs on the east coast. jim's doc recommend he get marijuana for the nausea.  don't know how it will work with the new drugs but if it were me and i was experiencing weight loss i would give it a try.
i will be starting the same tx on the 11th this month...i plan on smoking a little pot to help with eating a more healthy diet...also maybe for sleep...you'll have to find a type of pot thats good for you...some may cause too much anxiety....good luck...billy
I've been on Medical Marijuana for 4 years and also throughout 3 of 4 of my failed treatments. I will start treatment the 2nd week of Aug. with Victrelis. It was the Gastroenterologist who recommended the Medical Marijuana. However, the best way to smoke it to prevent carcinogens is with a vaporizer. When I was nauseated often by past treatment attempts, I took a couple of hits and within 10 minutes.... no nausea..... and.... suddenly hunger returned....

There have been cautions by scientists that Medical Marijuana may cause progression of Fibrosis. However, my Gastro is not totally convinced, as the clinical trials done for the most part with those patients was not a pure Medical Marijuana only test on regular patients, but most were also alcoholics. If he felt it was that destructive, he wold not renew my prescription on a yearly basis. Otherwise, it’s up to you....

Magnum
Having the munchies on TX is a gooood thing!
i agree with you all on the marijuana even though i am not living in a state where (at this time it is not legal) as much as we here in tn would love it to be....but my medicine man has said nothing of my self medicating with it and really it wouldn't matter much to me cause i have been a firm believer in its use for a number of years and have no intentions of slowing down now! its 1 of gods natural herbs and i intend to use it in any way i can if it helps me from being sick and not wanting to eat!
You may have to give it a try to find out.  There's so many different types of weed for sale especially at the 420 head shops, I'm in California too.  I'm not a pot smoker either but they got all kinds of scooter pies and cookies and what not.  The pot may not help you but if you have trouble eating maybe it could help with the taste buds.lol  good luck!  
I have a pot prescription in California.  I was also a marijuana care provider and grew legally here.  I haven't been smoking because I have been trying to get my weight down for treatment. When I start treatment I will b smoking. Marijuana is prescribed for almost everything. I think it may make some conditions it's prescribed for worse.  However, there is clear evidence that it helps people on interferon.  It will help you keep your appetite up and also get much needed sleep which will help your immune system. So I would recommend it to anyone going through treatment.
Magnum, I remember you posting in 2001 when I went through a years treatment that failed. Wow - you are hard core going through it 3 or 4 times now! Are you geno type 1? I am, and am starting my second round of treatment this tues using Telaprevir. My daughter, who I gave the virus to (don't know how) was in the phase II trial in NYC and cleared the virus. I got pretty sick the first time on just the peg/Ribo combo and had to also use neupogen on a weekly basis.

I hope things will work out for you - stay strong!
reading these posts about smoking marijuana during treatment, I can understand how it would be adventagious to the sick part and the eating part, but what about the paranoia that it can cause. Are the medical type different than the street type? I just remember when I did smoke in the way back when. It made me very paranoied and worried about everything. Certainly dont need that now. Lord knows all I do is worry. :(  I live in Fla. and it is not legal here.
I didn’t smoke it during tx. The only reason was, I don’t care for it. I’m a firm believer in you do what you have to do in order to complete your journey. For the pot I didn’t smoke, I more than made up for in Xanax, Lortab, and Ambian.
to roostermom:

I am 1a and am currently under heavy anti-biotics daily infusions as a precaution to prevent a hip infection (long story), therefore cannot start treatment yet until this infusion is over. This will go on through the second week of Aug., at which time I will start Victrelis for an awful 48 weeks (including a month lead-in). I failed 4 treatments, early Cirrhosis, liver functions normal, MELD 6, clear headed although on Med MaryJane, great attitude and in my opinion, Med marijuana is much easier on your body than chemicals to eat, sleep, stay awake, attitude, pain, depression, etc... Remember Elvis and Michael Jackson? Maybe they should have tried pot instead of a long list of drugs.... Amen....

As for Paranoia under pot. If you are confident in yourself and in your life in general, what's to be paranoid about?

Magnum
I hope I didn’t come across like I was endorsing chems. over pot, that was not my intent. When I was younger I smoked the hell out of it. When I got older, I just didn’t care for it anymore. During tx I even made some Pot Butter and made some cookies with it. They did their job but I still didn’t like it. If I enjoyed it, I sure would have smoked it during tx.
I used to be very confident in myself and my life because I had control. Not a control freak or anything but i like things in order and since this happened I feel like I have lost all control. Not sure whats around the next corner, trying to keep calm but this is all very troubling seeing as I said before we dont have control. Its up to the chemicals to kick the crap out of our bodies and what if it can not. Then what. just having a bad day today playing the waitng game. Sorry for sounding so down. Dont like this one bit. Wish we could get lab results and not have to wait for md. After all it is our blood, and our life. Waiting, Waiting seems like all I do is wait for the phone to ring. Good news. Bad news. Just wait and see.  I think I need some retail therapy today.
Like you, I did my share in college, but stopped at age 22 until 2007, when the Gastro recommended this for Insomnia (tried every sleeping pill) and also for nausea under treatment. If I didn't have to smoke it for hunger or sleep, I would not be doing it. However, I never do it for recreation (going out partying, driving under the influence, etc..) but rather for sleep. With this awful anti-biotics daily infusions from hell, even with pot, I'm only sleeping 5 hrs. nightly, so I am upset about that, but will not take sleeping pills as none of all the ones available work except Ambien CR (time release), and that made me feel drunk all the next day. I was suggested two Benadryl, which I tried, but again, the next day I felt sluggish and lethargic. I don't get that with pot for some reason. When the treatment is over and I am hopefully undetectable, I plan to stop the pot as I really won't need it at that point. I know we are at times forced to take drugs, as there is no other alternative for some ailments.

But meanwhile, I just hope I can control the munchies and voracious appetite for Mars bars, Almond Joy, pizza, ice cream, blueberry muffins, tacos, burritos, Ding Dongs, cream puffs, key lime pie, chocolate truffles, strawberry milkshakes with crushed nuts and sprinkles, dark chocolate covered Macadamia nuts, spicy wings, double layer pumpkin cheese cake, banana pudding, caramel pop corn, Tiramisu layer cake, cranberry bliss bars, butterscotch tarts and pomegranate ginger cake... Excuse me while I go to the fridge...

Magnum
Magnum..You're too funny.  Did you just, by chance, indulge in a few hits as your wrote this?
It's funny, but my 18 year old daughter recently discovered pot and has been practically begging me to smoke with her.  I don't smoke and last I did was in my teens.  Did not like it as it made me very insecure ( which I was at that time anyway) but it magified it.
Of course I told her 'NO' because I have to set the right example as a parent, not to mention it is illegal, right?
Now that I learned from this forum that Hep C  tx is a condition that benefits from marijana, I may just have to give it a try, if necessary.  Wouldn't my dear daughter be  happy? LOL
FYI...I just learned that in Texas it is not legal, however, if one is caught with a small amount, it will be thrown out in court if you can prove your medical condition warrants it.  In my book, that is just about the same as being legal  Except, where to get good quality stuff.  If just happens that New Mexico is a couple of miles from my home in Texas and it is legal there.  Do any of you know if I can get a script from my Dr in texas and get it filled in NM?  Probably not, huh?
I know that in NV (111 today) you can't cross state lines and use your med pot card. I would love to because most of my friends are in CA, where there are more Med pot outlets than Starbucks and when I go visit, I am abruptly told I can't use my card.

Listen, politicians, cops, teachers, preachers and on and on use pot. If anyone thinks they don't, they need to come out from their cave and into the real world. If you get caught, the logic would be that you have an illness and can prove it (you should get a letter stating you have Hep C from your GI like I did), and show that letter to a judge (who probably smokes pot while watching his favorite movies and drinking martinis with his mistress on coke. I’m sure that one day all states will allow med marijuana.

One good thing Obama did is to keep the nosy and intrusive Federal Bureau of Intimidation from busting people who are sick and on med pot. Finally one president woke up from his coma.

Magnum
many of the clinical trials i have looked at conduct drug screens. has anyone ever heard of someone being denied a trial because of marijuana use?

i've read that marijuana use can be used as a justification to deny a liver transplant.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004389825_liver03m.html

eric
You missed Basken Robin’s Rocky Road and coming home to eat an Artichoke Heart & Jelly Sandwich.
I also have hep c an cirrhosis of the liver and was told if any alcohol or e legal drugs including pot was fond in my system I would be denied a transplant if one were needed. Check out everything first and be careful. I also believe it helps with not wanting to eat. Also helps me fall of to sleep. Can't risk it though.
thank you for the warning.  i also am experiencing cirrhosis and have heard that a transplant can be denied due to a positive drug screen.
welcome to the forum
blessings
eric
For me it wasn't an option. I was receiving SOC at no charge (peg/copeg) and I had to sign a contract stating I would not indulge in any drug use or consume any alcohol while on tx. It seemed like a fair trade to me.
i was contemplating treatment with my local GI.   when i went to discuss treatment a medical assistant thrust two forms at me - the first stated that i would use two form of birth control so that me partner would not get pregnant while i treated.  i had no problem signing the first form because i know the danger of birth defects while using ribivirin.  however the second form stated that i would not indulge in any illegal drug use or alcohol on treatment.  well that form rubbed me the wrong way.  there seems to be an assumption that just because we are experiencing hepatitis c, we also abuse alcohol and drug.  i wonder if cancer patients and aids patients are required to sign similar forms stating they will not use alcohol or illegal drugs?  by the way i do neither, but still it pissed me off.
eric
I think there is a gray area here. I you have a prescription to use “Medical Marijuana” from a doctor, to me it clearly speaks for itself that he is condoning the use to help you while you are sick. Remember, you can always appeal ANY decision made by whoever will refuse your meds because of that fact. When presented with this evidence in front of a judge, his first reaction will be that a doctor has prescribed this. So who is responsible?

I think by "illegal" drugs as stated on the form you mentioned, probably means crystal meth, heroin, cocaine, LSD and the like. As for the word "Medical" in Medical Marijuana, what judge is going to argue that point?

There aren't enough case files to support that you would be refused treatment for using Medical Marijuana. I'm not an attorney, just a person with common sense and logic...

Magnum