Hepatitis C Community

Supplements Recomendations

According to Life Extension Foundation...

The following supplements have been shown to reduce liver oxidative damage, lower iron, and boost the effectiveness of conventional drugs:

Calcium citrate—1000 to 2000 milligrams (mg) daily with iron-containing foods to block iron absorption
Lactoferrin—900 mg daily, to block iron, in divided doses
Lipoic acid—750 mg in three divided doses daily
NAC—600 mg daily
Whey protein isolate—20 to 40 grams (g) daily
Glutathione—500 mg daily, on an empty stomach
Silibinin extract—900 mg daily, in two divided doses
SAMe—1200 mg daily, in three divided doses
PPC—1800 to 3600 mg daily
Green tea extract (93 percent polyphenols)—750 mg daily
Garlic (high allicin)—900 mg daily
Aged garlic extract (Kyolic®)—1200 mg daily
Selenium—200 to 600 micrograms (mcg) daily
Vitamin E—400 international units (IU) daily with at least 200 mg gamma tocopherol
Vitamin C—2000 mg daily (on an empty stomach to minimize the increased iron absorption caused by vitamin C)

Hepatitis C Safety Caveats

An aggressive program of dietary supplementation should not be launched without the supervision of a qualified physician. Several of the nutrients suggested in this protocol may have adverse effects. These include:

Calcium

Do not take calcium if you have hypercalcemia.
Do not take calcium if you form calcium-containing kidney stones.
Ingesting calcium without food can increase the risk of kidney stones in women and possibly men.
Calcium can cause gastrointestinal symptoms such as constipation, bloating, gas, and flatulence.
Large doses of calcium carbonate (12 grams or more daily or 5 grams or more of elemental calcium daily) can cause milk-alkali syndrome, nephrocalcinosis, or renal insufficiency.
Garlic

Garlic has blood-thinning, anticlotting properties.
Discontinue using garlic before any surgical procedure.
Garlic can cause headache, muscle pain, fatigue, vertigo, watery eyes, asthma, and gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhea.
Ingesting large amounts of garlic can cause bad breath and body odor.
Green Tea

Consult your doctor before taking green tea extract if you take aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin). Taking green tea extract and aspirin or warfarin can increase the risk of bleeding.
Discontinue using green tea extract 2 weeks before any surgical procedure. Green tea extract may decrease platelet aggregation.
Green tea extract contains caffeine, which may produce a variety of symptoms including restlessness, nausea, headache, muscle tension, sleep disturbances, and rapid heartbeat.
Lipoic Acid

Consult your doctor before taking lipoic acid if you have diabetes and glucose intolerance. Monitor your blood glucose level frequently. Lipoic acid may lower blood glucose levels.
NAC

NAC clearance is reduced in people who have chronic liver disease.
Do not take NAC if you have a history of kidney stones (particularly cystine stones).
NAC can produce a false-positive result in the nitroprusside test for ketone bodies used to detect diabetes.
Consult your doctor before taking NAC if you have a history of peptic ulcer disease. Mucolytic agents may disrupt the gastric mucosal barrier.
NAC can cause headache (especially when used along with nitrates) and gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhea.
Milk Thistle

Consult your doctor before taking milk thistle with tranquilizers such as Haldol, Serentil, Stelazine, and Thorazine. Milk thistle combats the effect of tranquilizers.
Do not combine milk thistle with the blood pressure medication Regitine. Milk thistle combats the effect of Regitine.
Phosphatidylcholine

Phosphatidylcholine can cause increased salivation, a metallic taste, headache, drowsiness, and gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhea.
SAMe

Consult your doctor before taking SAMe if you have bipolar disorder. See your doctor frequently if you take SAMe and you have bipolar disorder.
Consult your doctor before taking SAMe if you take antidepressants. See your doctor frequently if you take SAMe in place of or in addition to antidepressants.
Consult your doctor before taking SAMe if you have cancer. Nucleic acid methylation patterns may change in people who have cancer and take SAMe.
Do not take SAMe if you are undergoing gene therapy.
SAMe can cause anxiety, hyperactive muscle movement, insomnia, hypomania, and gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhea.
Selenium

High doses of selenium (1000 micrograms or more daily) for prolonged periods may cause adverse reactions.
High doses of selenium taken for prolonged periods may cause chronic selenium poisoning. Symptoms include loss of hair and nails or brittle hair and nails.
Selenium can cause rash, breath that smells like garlic, fatigue, irritability, and nausea and vomiting.
Vitamin C

Do not take vitamin C if you have a history of kidney stones or of kidney insufficiency (defined as having a serum creatine level greater than 2 milligrams per deciliter and/or a creatinine clearance less than 30 milliliters per minute.
Consult your doctor before taking large amounts of vitamin C if you have hemochromatosis, thalassemia, sideroblastic anemia, sickle cell anemia, or erythrocyte glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. You can experience iron overload if you have one of these conditions and use large amounts of vitamin C.
Vitamin E

Consult your doctor before taking vitamin E if you take warfarin (Coumadin).
Consult your doctor before taking high doses of vitamin E if you have a vitamin K deficiency or a history of liver failure.
Consult your doctor before taking vitamin E if you have a history of any bleeding disorder such as peptic ulcers, hemorrhagic stroke, or hemophilia.
Discontinue using vitamin E 1 month before any surgical procedure.
Thanks for posting this.

Marcia
While I take most of what in the Life Extention Protocol and most have been recommended by HR as part of an Anti Fibrotic regime, I would think very carefully before undertaking this.

Make sure you know why you are taking it and what you expect to achieve by taking any Supp.

Dont just blindly follow it.
CS
Interesting to find out today that the Milk Thistle (Rexall brand) does NOT contain Selenium. However, Rexall does make a 200mcg Selenium product. the Product number is 3212 for those interested, and they said Wal-Mart does carry it...

Magnum
Very wise, thanks for pointing it out!

I have decided to take some of those supplements. I have them all lined up and will start taking them after my biopsy. I decided to take lower doses. I must say that I don't suffer from any other ailments than hep c, so it is easier for me to to take the decisions.

Marcia
Do you mean you would be wary of taking them while treating, or you would be wary in general?   My husband took most of them before treating and he improved a lot.  Now that he's treating again, (3rd try) he started out taking most of the same supplements as Gauf but he has been too sick to swallow extra pills so is just taking Pegasys/Riba?alinia now.  I will try adding back the lactobacillus GG, PPC, and vitamin E at least as he feels better.  He started Compazine for nausea yesterday so maybe I can sneak a few back in.  If I try today he will probably throw them at me.:>)
Ev
Thank you for your thoughtfull and informative post !

I'm wondering if you or anyone here has had any experience using Colloidal Silver . I have used this for years for many things because since I have no spleen my immune system is already low.

Thanks,

moon

No not be wary so much as understand what each supp is supposed to do.
And a little scepticism doewsnt go astray.
Why is calcium in the list, to chelate iron does it?
Same for Whey what does it do.

I also take most of them but I take each for a reason.

I know what Gauf has been doing, and I too will more than likely take at least some supps on Tx, maybe not as many as Gauf we will just have to see on that though.

The is quite a lot out there on many of these supps ALA NAC SAMe to name a few. I think it would be wise if more than just Life Extentions word was taken into account. Some of these supps aint that cheap after all.

All the Best
CS
The selenium part makes sense to me as south western Pa is totally lacking in selenium in the ground.  Might be like that everywhere. not sure.  I can mainly relate most supps with my animals.  I know animals (horses & dogs) are not humans but the research gives the end result.  For my horses I use a selenium (salt) block because they are not getting any from the pasture grass & hay we baled 2 weeks ago.  So if one thinks about it, the veggies grown around here are also lacking.  Makes sense to me but correct me if I am wrong.  

Denise
I totoally agree with you.  I have spent many hours of digging and redigging to decide what to use and when.  With Joe having cirrhosis I am aware that the wrong thing could have grave consequences.  The Life Extension list implies that all of these can help while receiving conventional treatment and I don't see how they could know that.  HR certainly wouldn't make such a definitive statement.  It has been very nerve wracking to make these decisions for Joe.  He is a very smart guy but he has left all of this to me.  He never wanted to read any of it but would do his best to swallow whatever I gave him. No doubt, a person could do more harm than good if taking things indiscriminatly not to mention the variance in how the individual responds to whatever. I have let a lot of other things go while spending so much of my time researching this stuff but what will I care if my house is cluttered and needs paint if I lose my wonderful husband.
Ev
Can't you present this list to his doctor and let him cross off what he feels he should NOT take? Just a thought...

Magnum
I've not found them to be the least bit interested so I quit trying that.  We are now at a teaching hospital and they know there stuff as far as conventional treatment goes and have even been willing to push the envelope a bit for Joe since it is his third attempt and he has cirrhosis.  But they don't seem very interested in discussing supplements. Neither was the first Gastro we had.   The PA did agree that Sam-E shows merit. She sort of rolls her eyes at milk thistle though.   She works under Dr. Bacon who is a very good Hep c Doc and I am very satisfied with there handling of the tx but we walk alone with supplements.
Thanks for the suggestion though.  I have followed your posts for a long time and remember the infamous Infergen scare.  I wish you the very best on your next try.  I will be watching and praying for your success.
Blessings,
Ev
Magnum:  thanks for the post and info!

"But they don't seem very interested in discussing supplements..." -Ev
-----------------------
How very true, for me as well.  My husband has several docs (also at a teaching hospital), and I've asked a half a dozen of them about milk thistle, SST -- like yourself, Evangelin, I'm willing to push the envelop too, as my husband also has cirrhosis -- and none of the docs have anything to say.  It almost seems like its taboo to have an opinion on supplements. (I guess if it's the drug companies keeping you in business, it could be "conflict of interest"? :P lol)  

I've gotten more information from this forum about supplements than I have been able to get from all of the docs I've talked to combined... (with many thanks to Evangelin, and Cocksparrow, and Gauf, and Magnum, and all those who are willing to go outside the box.)

~eureka