Hepatitis C Community

What is this medication?

Hi guys,

Some of you may know that I've been complaining that my doctor won't give me anything to relieve bone pains. Some of you said you take Tylenol and others say that I need a different doctor..

So, earlier this week when I complained of a headache, he prescribed me some medication (I almost fainted, haha). It's called FIORICET.  It says Butalbital/APAP/Caffeine on the label. I asked him if it would help with the bone pain too and he said it would.

What is this medicine? I looked it up and got some information, but there's not even a milligram number listed on the bottle. Have you taken it? What does it do?

What stinks is that I have taken it twice and it does absolutely NOTHING to me. Nothing.

Thanks!
Kelle
Fioricet is a barbiturate sedative (butalbital) mixed with acetaminophen medication and caffeine. This non-narcotic pain medication and relaxant is often prescribed for tension headaches caused by contractions of the muscles in the neck and shoulder area, and migraine.

Butalbital is habit-forming and potentially abusable.
acetaminophen = Tylenol

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have:
kidney disease
liver disease (!)
You may not be able to take Fioricet, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

Does your Doctor who prescibed this know you have HCV and liver disease? You may want to check with him as this med can cause liver damage.

Cheers!
Hector

ha. ha.  Yes, it's my liver doctor who prescribed it. It seems like everything I take can cause liver damage. I hate taking all this acetaminophen. I have Darvocet that has that in it, this Butabitol, sometimes I pilfer Hydrocodone from my friends when my body hurts so bad.

I know, I know, don't take meds that are not prescribed to you...but I don't know what else to do, he won't give me anything strong no matter how many times I ask.

Aren't barbituates "speeders?" How can this be a sedative? And the caffeine? And I wonder WHY I don't feel anything. Is it for pain, too? If not, he lied to me.
Barbituates are downers not speed.

Fioricet/Fiorinol won't help a migraine - it will help muscle tention headaches (If that's what you are having)  If you are having bone pain you should make an appt. with a rheumatologist.  He can prescribe something for you, they generally know a lot about hcv and it's symptoms, tx and sx.  If you want Foricet without the caffiene (which I used before it's called PHRENILIN)  I prefer to take my own caffiene (coke or coffee)

Try the meds he rx'd you and see if it works.
The liver warning has more to do with the Acetaminophen that's in the Fioricet than the actual Butalbital.  Plus there is a small amount of caffiene in the pill to constrict your blood vessels to stop any pounding in your head. It may work great for you, give it a try
Hope you feel better...
enigma
Thank you!
  Another one to stay away from is Vicodin or anything with tylenol in it if it is possible.  All are bad with liver disease.
Acetaminophen is the only pain killer that people with HCV should take.

Quote"Toxic Medications:
Many people with hepatitis C also suffer from other illnesses or disorders which require them to take medications. Many medications both prescription and over-the-counter drugs can be quite toxic to the liver (see list below).
The author notes that for example; taking paracetamol (acetaminophen in the USA) on an empty stomach or with alcohol can be harmful.
Eating regularly will help avoid this as well as help you absorb any other medications or supplements you are taking. But, if you are in pain, paracetamol is the best option with a safe dosage being 500mg four times a day or 2g daily (Riley, 2001 - part 1).

List of Toxic Medications:

• Muscle relaxants.
• Psychotropics (a drug which alters the mind) e.g. antidepressants.
• Anticonvulsants (a drug or agent that prevents or reduces the severity of convulsions).
• Lipid-lowering drugs.
• Oral antidiabetic agents (therapy for type 2 diabetes).
• Estrogens are any of various steroid hormones developing and maintaining female characteristics of the body; this hormone produced artificially for use in oral contraceptives etc.
• Anabolic steroids are any of a group of synthetic steroid hormones used to increase muscle size.
• Antituberculous agents (Riley, 2001 – part 1).