Hepatitis C Community

Who is your good doctor?

Is there someone you'd recommend to others in your area?
From time to time, someone on the forum needs a referral.
Who do you see ? Why do you like them ?
Tell us if the doc is a GI or Hepatologist or other, where they're located and how to contact them.

Although, my GI had suggested I see a specialist at CPMC in S.F., it was a member here who recommended a specific  hepatologist several years ago. He is still my liver doctor.

Many of us refer to our doctors and how much we like them, so lets help others.

(For anyone concerned with privacy issues, by law medical professionals can not share information about patients other than with specific professionals.)
I see Dr. Todd Frederick, a hepatologist  in San Francisco:
Specialty: Liver Disease/Hepatology, Liver Transplant, Gastroenterology
He can be seen in San Francisco, Ca. and currently also at clinics in Chico California and Reno, Nevada.

I like him because he is knowledgeable, compassionate, flexible, and answers my emails promptly.

He is one of several liver specialists based in S.F. @ CPMC who also work at outreach clinics in Northern California and Nevada.

For more information about them:
http://www.sutterpacific.org/services/liver.html
Click on Dr. Frederick to connect to the link about him.
Dr. Ira Jacobson Heptologist NYC.  He is one of the premiere heptologists in all of the world. He does not take insurance but you can submit out of network.
Gregory T. Everson, MD, FACP
James "Jay" R. Burton, Jr., MD

Are the monitoring docs of my trial, located at UC Denver Hepatology Dept
Dr. Santiago J. Munoz, MD, FACP, FACG
Professor of Medicine, Director of Clinical Hepatology, Medical Director of Liver Transplantation

Temple University in Philadelphia, PA
Ira M. Jacobson, M.D. | Weill Cornell Physicians Organization ...www.weillcornell.org/imjacobson/Cached

Ira Jacobson, M.D. is Chief of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Vincent Astor Distinguished Professor of Medicine, The Joan Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, & Attending Physician, NewYork-PresbyterianHospitalCornell Campus.

Dr. Jacobson is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology, andis a world-renownedexpert in Hepatology and Liver Disease. He is the Medical Director for the Center for the Study of HepatitisC, and is a principal investigator on many important trials involving antiviral therapy for both hepatitis B and C. He haspublished twotextbooks: ERCP and Its Applications, Lippencott and Raven, 1998, and ERCP Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications,Elsevier,1989. His special interests include hepatology, and endoscopy.

I have shopped for hep docs in Houston since the early 1990's and have met many of them for consults over the years.

Here's who no one should consider doing TX with (I did) or have your liver BX with, Dr. G at Texas Liver Specialists.  If anyone is considering him or is already a pt of his, you can PM me if you're interested in knowing more.

The best hep docs in Houston seem to all be at the Baylor College of Medicine.  They have a large practice with many hep docs that work together and pt's meet more than one if you are a long term pt, it's nice being able to hear each doc's opinions and knowledge.  Another good thing about this group is that they all get together in a weekly meeting to have a look and have a consensus with liver bx pathology slides even after the pathologist gives his report... Then they discuss individualized plans for TX or their recommendations.  I personally think anyone in this entire group is very knowledgeable and would recomend any doc there, however, have never done TX with Baylor so have nothing to add about that...

My hep doc (Dr. Schiff) in Miami, at U of M is very good too, very nice knowledgeable doc!
Oy. I have a sinking feeling this thread might not be such a great idea....Having said that: If it is OK I would much rather mention my Dermatologist, Dr. Jeffrey Meffert with the Dermatology Center at Texas MedClinic  in San Antonio, Texas.

Believe it or not, it is quite often the case that a Dermatologist is the first doctor to pick up on the possibility of HCV since often times the virus manifests itself in some type of skin condition at first (or eventually).

Dr. Meffert is familiar with many of the side effects of  HCV meds, HIV meds, Cancer meds and other medications that have Dermatological side effects. He helped me with my tremendous hair loss the first time around by prescribing an ointment/drops for my scalp that I believe helped my hair grow back fast. Then when I was through treating, I made a solution with those drops, Minoxidol and Azaelic acid and my hair grew back fast and super healthy. That is the reason I am not freaked out while I watch my hair fall out by the glob!

The reason I met him in the first place is due to an unusual side effect I had the first time I treated. It is very uncommon so I won't bore you with that but I eventually healed with no scarring. I do not think I would have fared as well with a lesser experienced Dermatologist.

He is affordable and accepts insurance.
______________________________________
Dr. Jeffrey Meffert is Board Certified in Dermatology and has written over 40 journal articles and book chapters on a variety of topics.  He is also a frequent speaker to primary care physicians on general dermatology issues and is actively involved in the American Academy of Dermatology as a member of both the Education and Bioterrorism task forces.

Born into a military family, Dr. Meffert graduated from Marshall High School in San Antonio prior to attending Rice University in Houston.  Upon completing his medical school training and Family Practice residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Dr. Meffert practiced family medicine in Virginia and flight medicine in Alaska with the United States Air Force.  He returned to San Antonio and completed his Dermatology training at Wilford Hall Medical Center in 1995.  Dr. Meffert was in the Air Force for over 21 years, completing his Air Force career as Program Director of the combined Army/Air Force Residency in dermatology at Wilford Hall and Brooke Army Medical Center.  He has been practicing dermatology for the past ten years.
In Indiana they don't come any better then Paul Y Kwo at IU medical center, lead researcher and principal Investigator for Victrelis (Boceprevir) and Mercks go to doctor. Besides being down to earth with a great since of humor. He's not afraid to treat, or treat outside the norm.

Kwo loves it when patients take this serious and are well informed, he's very open to ideals and doesn't feel threatened.
-------------------------------------

Dr. Paul Y. Kwo is associate professor of medicine and medical director of the adult liver transplant program at Indiana University Health.  

Dr. Kwo's clinical interests include Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B and liver transplantation, while his research interests include Hepatitis C and alcohol metabolism.
In NJ, I highly recommend Bindu Balani Internal Med + Infectious disease.
Hepatitis Treatment Center, 20 Prospect St Hackensack NJ 07601
The best Doctor I have ever had. Lots of experience. She treats the entire patient, not just the disease.  She is always available when you need her and is dedicated to getting you through your cure.
Great office and staff
I think this thread is a great idea and don't see how it can be harmful in any way.   We're not going to get into any 'my doctor is better than yours' arguments or anything.  People are asking all of the time who we could refer them to in certain parts of the country, at least this way it will have all the best doctors in one thread to point them too!
I second dr Ira jacobson. He does not
Take insurance but runs a lot of trials and is a leading
Doctor in the latest treatment options for hep c. I have been in the Gilead 9881 and 9541 for the last six months and received excellent from the whole team.
Dr. Renuka Battacharya at the University of Washington Medical Services and Transplant Center.  We really like her a lot.
She is a Clinical Assistant Professor and Chief of Clinical Hepatology at the University of WA.  
Her education is:
M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
Residency in Medicine, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship in Gastroenterology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
American Board of Internal Medicine Transplant Hepatology 2010
American Board of Internal Medicine Gastroenterology 2003
Advocate1955