Hepatitis C Community

interferon

Which drug is the interferon? Is that the VIC I keep hearing or the RIBA? I'm so confused. What drugs do what? I thought there were 3 drugs for treatment. One is a shot? What is incivek? Can anyone help explain? I feel like a idiot on this forum.
This is my simplistic understanding:

Interferon is the first drug used to successfully treat hep C.
It was found it works best in combination with ribavarin, ( riba).
Interferon is injected. Ribavarin is in pill form.

For years this has been the standard of care SOC for hep C treatment.
It had a poor success rate for genotype 1.
Geno 1 is the main strain of hep C found in the US.

VIC is a PI which is a third addition to SOC for genotype 1 patients.
It has vastly increased  the likelihood of success for those with genotype 1.

I hope that helps.
No doubt someone else will explain it better than I.
Interferon is the drug that is injected subcutaneously, usually once a week.  You will often see it abbreviated as INT or PEG INT, or referred to as Peg.  It is peginterferon alfa-2a.  There are other varieties of Interferon, but the one that is being used most often in the triple therapy is peginterferon alfa-2a, 180 mcg/0.5ML.  Ribavirin (RIBA) is a tablet that is usually dosed based on weight.  A typical dose is about 1200 mg. per day (3 200 mg. tablets twice a day), or for smaller people it might be a smaller dose.  Victrelis (VIC) is one of the new drugs used in triple therapy.  It was approved, along with Incivek (INC), in May, 2011.  I am assuming Victrelis is a tablet, but since my husband was on Incivek, I don't know for sure.  Incivek is a tablet that is taken three a day, in my husband's case 375 mg, 2 tablets 3x/day.  Both of these drugs, VIC and INC are protease inhibitors that, when combined with Interferon and Ribavirin, significantly improve the chances of getting rid of Hepatitis C.  Hope this helps.
Advocate1955
Incivek is the same type of drug as vic just dosed in a different way but still used in combination with inf/riba as explained by OH.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the righthand side of the forum web page, there are some frequently read web pages listed as links.  One of these is a list of abbreviations and acronyms used often in discussing Hep C.  I have also copied this into my journal so that I can refer to it easily.  Here it is:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/328922/Acronyms--Abbreviations--and-Definitions--Hepatitis-C
Advocate1955
Thank you so much!! I feel like I'm learning a new language. So the interferon and RIBA are required. But you can choose between the INC or the VIC??

Yes that is correct for the triple treatment