Hepatitis C Community

iron and platelet count.

Hi,all.i have been told i start treatment mid May.only thing my iron levels are high and platelet  count bit low.they say i will not get full dose treatment not to cause more problems,anyone had this prob let me know.
Thanks..Dai..
Hello Dai.  Have you been tested for hemochromatosis?  Many of us with Celtic backgrounds have a genetic predisposition to that condition, which can cause iron to build up in the liver.  Ask your doc, if you have not discussed this already.

Several people on the forum have had issues with iron levels, I'm sure some of them will chime in with ideas.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you.

jd
I see by your profile that you work in the steel industry.  Could there be a connection?  It's an occupational hazard where you work?  Good old fashioned bloodletting never went out of style.  I'd rather give up a pint every once in a while then face dose reductions.
could do the obviouse stuff cut out red meat etc and see if that helps, i cant see having high iron being a reason to reduce dose, my iron was just under the max and i had full dose. but low platlets would be a reason , but they would need to be very low first, what are the levels?
Isn't there some medication used to increase platelet production?
Promacta. The situations when it's used is fairly narrow. As I recall, one of the side effects is hemolytic anemia.
Dai,

I told you the guys here would have better answers for you than I would....you see I am really always right!   ;)

Deb
As FIGuy  said its use is far from common, a dose reduction would be appropiate but levels could drop to 50  ( i think US units are 50,000) before getting too concerned
Hi thanks for that,yes i was tested for that but was clear,i was told that the damage was directley from the hep''c''.starting some kind of treatment in mid May.havn't been told much really.
bit wound up.
Dai..
Hi,my levells are around 100 i belive,not sure about iron thou just told its on the high side,i will ask in my next appointment thou about the help i could get for low plates.
Thanks..
Dai..
Hi,Rob.yea i thought there was some kind of med for low plates,i will ask next week when i have my appointment to start treatment.
Thanks..Dai..
are you from the uk ? if so forget about rescue drugs for platlets, if you are very lucky you might  get epo for hgb and gcsf for low neuts
Deb,yea thanks for that.you were right.
Nice 1..Dai..
Swansea ok
right forget drugs for platletts , and most likey the other too, you will be dose reduced looking at the count, but maybe you can start on full dose, i expect they will watch your count closely,
My doc kept a watch on  my iron counts;  it went high some 5 years ago and I also tested negative for hemachromatosis.   Make sure you're not taking any supplements with iron, as your liver maybe having trouble metabolising it and (I don't remember exactly how) but you end up with excess in your system and blood stream.  If your liver is having trouble processing iron, the iron deposits can cause further damage.   Check your diet for any high iron foods, don't take molasses etc (iron in veges is a different type and is better assimilated).

Low platelets may also be the result of HVC; if you trawl the site for low platelets you'll see that many here have treated with low platelets but need to be monitored, as the tx will lower them further.

Handy hint is to get a copy of your blood tests so that you can be better informed in the decision making process.   I learned so much from the site and was able to make some informed decisions along the way, that certainly helped me get through tx.   Best wishes for a successful treatment.