Herpes Community

Possibility of contracting herpes

After a possible exposure I was tested for all stds and they came out negative. But I’m scared that I may have contracted herpes. What is the chance of contracting Herpes from a one time encounter and there was no sores??? I had a red dot near my penis head but it doesn’t burn or itch and there is no pus. Also he performed oral sex on my anus, but he had no breakout on his mouth or tounge. I just want to know the chances and if I should be worried??
COMMUNITY LEADER
What did you all do together? Were any condoms used?

Chances of getting herpes from a one time encounter are pretty low, especially if there is no active outbreak. Chances go down even lower if a condom is used. Unfortunately, we have no same-sex studies on transmission rates, so I can't give you exact numbers, but it's pretty low.

I wouldn't be worried if you don't develop any symptoms, like blisters. A red dot with no pain, itching or pus isn't herpes. I can't say what it is, but if you are concerned, have a doc look at it.

If you had unprotected oral, you can get syphilis (whether you gave or received), or gonorrhea (if you gave, you could get it in the throat, or in your urethra if you received). Syphilis rates vary from location to location, as do gonorrhea rates, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked for that. Rates for both are always higher in men who have sex with men, unfortunately, even if chances are low overall.

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.