Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community

IBS back with a vengeance?

Hi all, I have recently found out that my stomach and bowel issues are all due to IBS, and am having horrible symptoms. For the past seven or so months I had been on a low dose of Zoloft for depression, but now that things are looking up, I'm off the medication. I've been off it for about two weeks now. It took a little while, but now that the Zoloft is completely gone from my system, it feels like my IBS is back with the force of the past seven months.
For years, whenever I wake up in the morning, if I lay there for more than a few minutes, I get crippling stomach cramps, almost to the point of crying out from the pain. Back then, my bowel movements were usually relatively regular, but came at least every 24 hours. Also, whenever I ate certain foods, (many things caused this but plain milk [like in cereal, and it didn't even have to be dairy milk] and overly fatty and greasy foods) would make me feel nauseas. Sometimes to the point of nearly retching. As soon as I got the taste out of my mouth I would be fine.
Now, months later, all those symptoms are back but even worse. I have been horribly gassy and bloated, and feeling like I have heartburn for no good reason. Also my bowel movements have been coming very irregularly and often. Sometimes I have diarrhea, sometimes not. Right now I have horrible gas pains and cramps, and I'm on the verge of tears from the discomfort.

Does anyone know anything that can explain this? Or even help?
I don't really have access to doctors that will do more than tell me to change my diet then leave, so I don't have too many options. I also really don't want to have to go back on the Zoloft. Aside from the IBS, I feel so much better now that I'm not on it... I saw something about taking probiotics; do those really work? Thank you all so much
This kind of sounds like typical symptoms of IBS.  I have been told my GI doc that anti depression meds can actually help with IBS, as it lowers stress levels and stress can be a trigger for IBS.  Perhaps this is the reason your IBS returned so violently.  
I am currently experiencing a flare.  Sometimes the pain can be so intense I can not walk and will double over in pain, swearing that this time I need to go to the ER.  But every time I do,  docs always say the same thing: gas in bowels and severe constipation (it's nothing at all for me to go 1-2 weeks without a movement).  Needless to say, I don't go to the ER any longer, as I know better now.  The last visit I had seen my GI doc he told me that most likely this pain is due to colon and intestine spasms.  He prescribed an anti spasm called Hyoscyamine (Levsin).  It doesn't completely take away the burning/stabbing feels like someone punched me a million times in my side and gut, but it gives enough relief for me to feel more comfortable.