Multiple Sclerosis Community

Diet pop and MS

Has anyone heard of a link between diet pop and MS?  I was wondering if there is any truth to it or research to back it up.  
Hi, I don't think I have met you yet, but I just had to ask this question when I seen the word pop! I live in Tennessee now and have for 14 years but I am origionally from southeast Kentucky. I haven't heard anyone else call it pop in 14 years, I love it. That's what I called it when I moved here and nobody knew what I was talking about. I still call it Pop when I am with my family. Are you from Kentucky?

Anyway if there is any kind of link then I sure know that it is true for me. I have not been dx with Ms, but ADEM  unless I have another attack or new lesions on MRI. I love diet coke, I swear I think I am addicted to it. I have wondered about the aspertame myself, but I can't seem to find any evidence that is concrete. Maybe someone else will know the answer.

Take Care,
Santana8
Here's a link to snopes.com about the link between aspartame and ms:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Seems there's no proven link.  I did a little checking after a friend forwarded an email to me last week about this very thing... :)

BTW, I'm from New York originally, and I still call it pop, LOL.  Even after being away for more than 25 years.. )

Rita  
To Rita, thanks for the information on aspertame!  I thought everyone called it pop until I moved to Tennessee, You would think that Tennessee being so close to Kentucky would have the same dialog, but   since they call it pop in NEW York too maybe it is more common than I realized..
Santana8
I grew up in Kansas and we called it pop.

Quix
This does not help answer the question but it is fun to see what things are called.

In Canada they to call it pop but in Australia we called it soft drink, my father sometimes use to call it 'lollie water'. (lollies in Australia are what you call sweets or candy.

Sarah

here in Philippines they call it "cola" or soda... guess that's the US influence here.  Growing up in Australia we called it lollie water (i hadn't remembered that till you brought it up). Then soft drink.

Interesting!

Sally
If from the Pines (Piney), may have heard it as "soder' (long o) pop."  Just add a nice Larry the Cable Guy twang when you say it. . .lol

If from DEEP south Jersey, may have heard it as "going out for a few pops" (adult beverage added)   ha/ha. . .

Just feeling silly . ..happy april fool's day

SL

Pop here in MICHIGAN!
As to aspartame, the FDA claims it is safe, but all alternative med practitioners believe it is very harmful.  It seems that the body does not recognize it as a food and doesn't know how to correctly metabolize it.  Same idea for high fructose which Children's Hospital in MI believes is the current culprit behind the rise in children's diabetes.  

Check out Dr. Andrew Weil's website for good info on current research regarding artificial sweeteners.  and, get off the diet coke!  Use it to clean rust off your car...it works.
Hi Santana,  Try finding diet coke with Splenda instead of nutrasweet, and switch.  After a month or so, see how you feel.  Just a thought.  Love, Amy
WYFROG,

GLAD TO MEET YOU AND WELCOME TO OUR CYBER FAMILY.

I HAVE READ MANY ARTICLES ON ASPERTANE AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS,I'M SURE THEY AREN'T THE GREATEST,BUT MS HAS BEEN AROUND LONG BEFORE
ASPERTANE.

HERE IN OHIO,ITS CALLED POP,AND YES, LIKE SANTANA,I ENJOY MY DIET COKE AND I DON'T CARE FOR THE DIET COKE WITH SPLENDA.HOWEVER I DO LIKE THE DIET COKE PLUS WITH THE VITAMINS IN IT.

WHEN I BREIFLY LIVED IN NORTH CAROLINA AND HAD WENT INTO A FAST FOOD PLACE AND ASK WHAT TYPE OF POP THEY HAD,THE GIRL SAID YOU MUST BE FROM THE THE NORTH,WE CALL IT SODA.

T-LYNN
My relatives in Southern Illinois call it "sodie."  I always thought that was cute.

Wanna