Neurology Community
45k Members

Can anyone help with very bizarre symptoms PLEASE!

I have been having some very weird and worrying symptoms.  I have been getting a very bad burning and swollen feeling in the left side of my head down into my cheek.  It's not there when i wake up..it comes during the day and cold air especially really aggravates it...it almost throbs it gets so sore and burns so badly. Does this sound familiar to anyone or any suggestions to what it could be...i'm very worried it's something serious like brain tumor or MS or such.  I've had a numb feeling for months in the same area but not it's a burning..almost like my face and head are on fire..only left sided.  If anyone can help i would really appreciate it....could it be an infection in my face and skull?

I am certainly not an expert but I am dealing with this as well. It could be a number of things from infection, Lyme Disease, MS, etc. and you should definitely get it checked out.

I have also been having neurological symptoms such as burning, numbness, and tingling in different areas of my body. It's been really scary but the fear of the unknown is the worst, don't you think? I have autoimmune hypothyroid but my docs don't think this is related and now I'm being worked up for infectious disease and MS. I just had an MRI that showed possible MS like changes and now I have to have a spinal tap, which is the next step in MS diagnosis. It's no fun at all but I want to know what's going on with my body.

Take a deep breath and make an appointment to see your doctor, you will feel better when you know what's going on. Hang in there!
I have been going to my doctor for 9 months. She seems to think it's nothing to worry about..maybe a pinched nerve from stress or such but i'm starting to get really scared it's a tumor or something serious. It's only in my head and face, no other body syptoms at all. So frustrating because it's like they don't believe me. They're not the ones living with it everyday!
I'm just wondering if this was some sort of skull/facial infection would the syptoms come and go like it does or would they always be there? I'm just so frustrated!  Doctor keeps telling me it's stress, i don't feel stressed out! Also  would a tumor show on a CT scan because i did have one done and everything was normal!!
did they use contrase in your ct? i had one too, but they did not use contrase, i was later informed that if they do not use contrast that small things are easily missed. Mine came out fine too, i had very different symptoms than you. sorry i can't be much help.
Could be you have an infection that has settled into the lymph nodes in your cheek, like an abscess from a tooth or infection in your ear.  Feel of the lymphs in your cheek, and also in the neck between the throat and the corner of the jaw... if either area is tender to the touch, that's an indicator you have an infection in your head somewhere.  A dentist can determine if it's a tooth. Your regular doc can do some bloodwork to look for infection, bacteria, and so on.  And an ear nose throat ENT specialist can take a look at you, he has seen so many oddball things in people, that he might know right away the cause of your symptoms.

Could also be you have a nerve problem in your neck or head, but the scan you had should have demonstrated that.  You could have your pictures and report sent to a neurologist's office, and have him take a look for anything abnormal with your nerves, and he can do some simple office examinations to see how you're doing neurologically on appearance.  He might spot something wrong that the other docs missed.
No they didn't use contrast..just a regular CT scan..i'm having another one done next week by the ENT..not sure if it'll use it or not...so did the CT scan miss something for you? I'm just worried..the doctor is so sure that the CT scan would have showed something and that's why she's putting it off to stress....she did book me with a neuro though for next week also.
Cheeks nor glands in neck are tender to touch...i do have another CT scan, dental xrays and neuro appt next week...i'm just tired of dealing with this...feels like the side of my head is swollen even though it's not visably so. Doctor did blood work and i guess it didn't show infection...she hasn't contacted me. I don't think a CT scan will show the nerves will it? At least that was my understanding...maybe an MRI will but there's a 8 or 9 month wait to get one of those around here...already been to an ENT..he used some tube to look up my nose and said it's not a sinus infection but is sending me for a CT scan anyway.  My worse fear is that's it's a brain tumor..my mother and grandmother both died from one but the doctor since since they both had it elsewhere first and it moved to their head it wouldn't be hereditary...i really hope not...my little girl is only a year old and she needs her mom..that's what's the hardest about all of this.  Someone told me antibiodics can cause nerve damage..anyone else hear this? I was on quite a few different ones when i had the baby..symptoms popped up four months later.
Trust your gut instincts on getting to the bottom of this, they are rarely wrong. If you feel that you need further testing and don't feel heard you have to keep pushing. Is it possible to get a different primary doctor? You definitely need a second opinion. It's good you have those appointments lined up and you should definitely see the neuro. Why in the world would it take 8 months to get an MRI?! Wow. I would definitely push for the MRI, at least get on the list now. It shows way more than a CT and can detect very small things.
Like I said before, the fear of the unknown is the worst for me. Try not to let the fear take over because it will if you let it (I know!). I've never heard that about the antibiotics before. Take care and hope you get some answers.
Find the post below yours, right now it's on page 2, from dude222, he's got a numbness in his face similar to yours, maybe you guys can exchange notes.  And we all want to hear how your various specialist tests go.  By the way, the CAT scan does indeed show nerves and blood vessels, but an MRI shows them in more detail.  A CAT scan can be improved, however, by injecting a dye to give helpful contrast in the pictures.  I assume your ENT checked for an earache...
yeah he checked my ears and nose...very frustrating....it's weird how cold aggravates it...i'm seriously frustrated....sometimes i wonder how doctors become doctors...anyway i'll update after all the appointments
I had my neurologist appointment yesderday...he listened to my symptoms and also did the test he normally does and doesn't think it's anything to worry about. He says that most likely it was a virus i had that attacked the nerve that carries sensation to my face and up into my temple area.  I have my CT scan today but of course i have a bad head cold so i'm not sure if they can distinguise a head cold from sinus infection or not...probably pointless of me for even go.  Still feel like i'm getting no where with this. The neuro said that if it was anything serious it would have been much worse by now since it's been nine months...easy for him to say....meanwhile i guess i just have to live with it since noone seems to want to help
You had a dental visit scheduled this week, too, I think you said.  Could be a goofed-up tooth, so wondering how that went.  In the same vein, I wonder if a nerve got trapped where your jaw attaches to the skull, don't know if nerves go thru there, but it's called a Tempero Mandibular Joint problem or TMJ, where the jaw doesn't fit into its socket like it should.  The dentist should know about all that.  Since it doesn't feel numb when you first wake up, that might be because you're not moving your jaw.  As soon as you eat or talk, it might fire up, if it's that particular joint problem.

Back on the antibiotic idea, where you said you took a bunch when you had your baby, and four months later the symptoms appeared... you said you heard they might cause this kind of problem.  If so, perhaps there is an antedote type drug or treatment that will counteract that side effect.  You could do some research online and find out more on what happens to people who get a reaction to the types of antibiotics that do this and what is done for it.

Also, maybe you could tell us if it is painful, how bad is the discomfort, in what ways is this causing an upset in your life, can you live with it, that sort of thing.  I have a friend whose foot is permanently numb from a circulatory problem, and she just has become accustomed to living that way, so could be eventually you can just go on as usual and try to forget it.  But I know, you want to know why, just in case it's serious, to make sure it doesn't progress.  Since you have family members who have had tumors in the past, I can see why you think about that, but with all the scans, I think it would have showed up.  Maybe scheduling the MRI would indeed be a sort of final answer to that particular question.