Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

I first experienced this weird sensation when i was a child and had a bad fever/illness in bed. Suddenly my entire surroundings in my bedroom became very intense and everything around me became fast and almost louder in my mind, although they weren't in reality.

Ever since then i sometimes (about once every few months) experience this odd sensation and it can become a bit worrying and strange.

The whole room seems to have a new feeling to it- everything im doing whether it be walking or typing seems to intensify and become louder yet the actions are very exaggerated and almost speed up (only perceived this way). I find it very difficult to explain fully but i'm worried it's some early signs of a neurological condition or something?

It usually only onsets when i'm alone and have a lot of silence for a while...?

Does you know what this could be, please?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 1
I am currently experiencing this right now, I was poorly over the weekend, high temperature, and now my chest is awful, everything sounds SO LOUD! the slightest noise kind of makes me jump and almost wakes me up, as if I've been sleeping, such an awful feeling
So glad I found this thread. I just had a similar episode for the first time in years. Has been happening infrequently since I was very young - I'm 35 now. The only way I've ever been able to describe it to people is that all of a sudden, my body feels incredibly heavy - movement seems fast, loud and destructive, but also strangely slow and lumbering - like I'm a giant, I suppose. Also a loud ringing and rushing in my ears but no discernable sound.

Like many people on here, I did always seem to get it when I was ill (I am very slightly ill at the moment), but could also be stress related I guess - didn't think I felt stressed but I do have a job interview tomorrow!

Also usually happens just before or interrupts sleep and very occasionally has happened in a normal daytime environment. Was scary every time but in later years, I've tried to 'ride it out' and almost embrace the experience to try and understand it more. Not always that easy though!

Some sort of disctaction - in this case, the act of reading and typing tends to help, although my ears are still ringing mildly 10 mins later.

Coincidentally, I have a meeting with a neurologist soon about something else - will be sure to mention this and post back if anything comes up.

Thanks all - has been a real help reading everyone else's posts. Hopefully we'll get more of an idea of what this is.
My son, 8 yrs old, has had two episodes. He said he stopped breathing and then everything started moving really fast. When I asked him if he was ok he would tell me very softly to stop talking because it was too loud and fast. His heart was beating so fast and he was sweating. I hugged him and stroked his hair and finally his heart rate when slowed down. Then he fell asleep. He was very scared and it made me very scared. Has anyone, other than the lady with the epileptic son, seen a dr?
H O L Y CRAP. I experienced this as a child, but I don't remember being sick or having a fever at the time. Maybe I had a random high fever in the night and just wasn't aware? I remember I used to sleep in the living room with my brother and we would watch tv. In the night I would sometimes get these episodes. I would start hearing sounds like a giant ball rolling on the ground or maybe it was the ceiling fan extremely loud and exaggerated? It was SO LOUD and took up everything. I would get a really scared feeling. It seemed like the room got really far away, the hallway got longer, etc. Everything was so loud and so intense. This happened probably 3 or 4 times. It stopped and I didn't really think about it anymore. UNTIL I was around 15 or so and it happened again. I was getting ready for school and sitting on my bed really early in the morning, with my hair in a towel just relaxing. All of a sudden it was like everything was in slow motion but was also fast? Everything around me was so intense and when I would look at an object it would be zooming in and out. I thought it was random 'I am going insane' voices but maybe it was just the voice in my head. It was going so fast like a VCR tape in fast forward. It was yelling and so panicked sounding.  I couldn't really make out what it was saying all the time but it's like it was my thoughts just jumbled up and fast. I can't remember if it lasted just a few seconds or a few minutes I just know it really effed me up. I tried to tell my mom but she kind of just shrugged and rolled her eyes. I have health & generalized anxiety so I guess she just attributed it to that. I'm 21 now and I haven't had an episode like it since but I'll never forgot it and think about it all the time. People talk about having auditory hallucinations with anxiety but this was something else...it was different. SO DISTURBING. Since I'm a hypochondriac I'm always freaking out about it thinking I'm on the verge of becoming schizophrenic, have a  seizure disorder, or something else.
I have had an almost identical experience to what you're describing and am the same age. For me its as if any voices I hear at the time when its happening are also very intense and nearly seem angry but they're lacking a certain quality of speech that doesn't make it seem like anger. I don't quite know how to explain it. I'm honestly kind of conforted that I am not the only one experiencing this.
Same. Exact. Thing. I am amazed that others have explained exactly what I thought I could never explain. I remember it happening most often in school in 8th grade in English class but would then happen at random times from then on. Everything sort of went quiet or into slow mo but not really. And all sounds were happening fast but then again in slow motion. Each sound from a voice to the clock ticking or my pencil was like initially really intense like a punch of the sound and then like an echo but not really. So crazy. I don't want to read all 600 plus answers. Have you found any answers or explanation? Wow - Lisa
I have this exact same phenomenon happen to me except compared to both of you it happens somewhat more frequently. I just experienced it like 10 minutes ago after waking up this morning to work on some homework. My mind begins to register everything in a speed and sound unlike anything else. As you guys said everything becomes so intense and loud it's RIDICULOUS but it is of course only my mind perceiving it that way. I have never understood what is happening when it hits me but all I know is it is ****** weird. I think the first time it happened to me was middle school and it seemed to normally occur during tests when everything was quiet. It would really agitate me because the slightest noises of people writing on paper or stepping their foot would pressure me and make me completely lose focus. The problems on the paper seemed to bulge out and intensify. I absolutely hated the feeling. This feeling kind of stopped in high school for a couple years but I still experienced a few episodes in my last couple years. I deal with anxiety as well and I think that may have something to do with it. For some reason in college it has occurred much more frequently (I've been in college for 2 months and it's happened probably 5 or 6 times). The upside though is I'm not scared of it anymore. I almost think it's cool for the time being. It's like an insane rush for like 10 or 15 minutes before it dies and I'm like well, that wasn't so bad haha. I've accustomed myself to it a little bit and realize that it's not hurting me and it will go away after some time. I am still very curious as to what causes it, it is an extremely odd phenomenon. I'm just glad I searched on google and some others had experienced the exact same feeling. It could definitely be from neurological reasons, but who knows. Just wanted post something because I feel like this is pretty rare.
This is crazy. I had just remembered having this happen to me when I was a child. So I decided to google it. It happened a few times. When I wasn't sick. I had similar feelings when I had a fever as a child but for longer periods and those were mostly visual. But the random things that happened to me I would say 4-5 times within a couple years around age 8-11. Time would literally seem to speed up and it felt as if everything got more intense. It was like I was tripping for 1 min. It was like people were yelling and talking really fast when they were not. I remember it happening when my parents were arguing one time and another while watching a movie. And I know it happened once or twice more. Idk if it's just dumps of serotonin or what. Feel better I'm not the only one.
I have the exact same thing and it makes me scared and nervous it happened as a kid and now it has not stopped... does any one know what this could be please help
I'm 23 now, and this is somethin that's occured every now and then since childhood. I remember(at age 12 maybe) we addressed this to the doctor and his only theory was that since my brain is still in its "stages of early development" weird experiences like these might occur...Now, this theory can be pretty much rejected now since I still experience this in cases of longer exposure to silence..and my brain should've left that "development stage" or then im just stupid haha.
In conclusion, all I've gathered about this is that the mind just acts up really bad sometimes when it's used to receive a lot of stimuli and then suddenly *poof* , all stimuli is gone and it has to pull off some weird **** to cope. Ya dig?
The first time this happened to me I was around 12 years old with an extremely high fever. Every single thing around me was the loudest thing I'd ever heard, I panicked and tried to stand up and it felt like I was doing it super slowly but my surroundings were moving at lightning speed

But the most strange thing of all, is the voice inside my head, my own voice had a strange and sarcastic tone, like it was narrating what I'm doing and mocking me

I know it sounds really crazy, but this happens to me every time I get the "fast feeling". I have actually never really told anyone and couldn't be happier to find this thread

Admitedtly it only happens to me once a year these days, and only if my surroundings are very very silent.

(I'm 22 now)
That's so crazy what you said about the voice inside your head feeling as if it was sarcastic or mocking you... I have had the exact same thing! Among all the other weird audio sensations... like things sounding loud and sped up and almost aggressive. It would happen to me when I had a fever when I was a kid or if I was sitting in silence for a while. It's happened to me a couple times as an adult (im 27) but much much less than when I was a kid. Im so happy I'm not the only one! If I tried to explain this to anyone else who hasn't experienced it I would sound like I was on the verge of schizophrenia.
I just had the same thing and it qas like zooming in and out and everything was fast when I tried pucking my phone it feeled so heavy I have no idea what happend.
Wow im so glad I am not alone!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, but mine was slightly different. Things would get intense like you described but also things seemed to grow in size and get louder, faster etc. and it would give me anxiety attacks almost. It was like I was having crazy hallucinations or delusions, I really wanna know exactly what this is. I've never told anyone about this before because its rather hard to explain. I'm 18 now and it hasn't happened to me since I was like 12, but I still think about it. I would get so freaked out and the only thing that actually kinda helped was to just splash water on my face and close my eyes for a minute.
I had this often as a child. But oddly now tonight, i woke up at 05.00 in the morning due to my own yelling at some dream i had. I felt annoyed at something in the room that i felt made alot of noise. Dream aside, since i woke the intense ringing in the ears is super high pitched, my pulse seems very slow and hard, and every tiny movement i make feels like an exaggerated event. If i ajust my position it feels like i am throwing myself violently around even if i try to move as slowly as i can.  This is the weirdest feeling!
Commenting myself.. as a child this feeling was always accompanied with a mental imagery. A pulsing from super sleak, clean white surfaces. Then morphing into grittier, jagged black shapes. Then pulsing between these shape models with acompanying feelings.. strange to put in words, byt they were feelings. Sleek white and jagged black.
So fun that SO many have similar phenomena happening to them. Very interesting that it seems to happen more when young. I am 36 now and just experienced it for the first time in years.
So it might be called a sensory seizure. I've had these weird occurances as a kid too,  and more frequently as I've gotten older. Ive noticed it happens when I lie down mostly. I can't really say there's a trigger for it. For me my thoughts get loud, fast, and distorted. My movements feel a lot faster. My surroundings also seem to get louder. It can be hard to describe further than that. Obviously everything isn't faster, and my heart rate is normal. I've been told its an anxiety attack but it doesn't fit that description. I tried to do a complex math problem to see if my brain was in overdrive. Nope not the case. It happened when I was taking a test once and I could hear people's pencils writing, and there body sounds clearly. My thoughts would repeat and were very fast and loud. It usually passes within 5 to 15 min. Kind of neat honestly. I wouldn't worry to much since I've had it my whole life (26 years), with out any health complications. If it's effecting your life maybe seek help for seizures.  
^ I guess it can relate to certain imagery too. Someone posted earlier it's like a ball rolling around. I was asleep once dreaming when it happened too, and there was a ball rolling around on ramps. It was like being inside a pinball machine.
I get imagery as well! Or I used to. As a child, I would get this dream of (lol) Mario running after a star, and this man making a speech, it inflicted the same kind of anxious horrible feeling that I get with these episodes on here. I still get the episodes, but I don't get that imagery, I'd be interested to know if it was connected.
I get this a lot and sometimes I will hallucinate. His usually happened when I have high fevers or when I am seriously ill. For example when my appendix ruptured or when I had pneumonia when I was four. Is there a specific name for this??
Finally people who have gone through this aswell I used to get it a lot as a kid. Used to make me cry that's how bad it was. It's a terrible feeling. Even when my parents would try calm me down. I'd tell them to whisper and it still shouted like they was super loud. Haven't experienced this in years now
There is a common theme with my experiences like this. Contradictory; everything seems to contradict itself, but simultaneously. And I mean everything from surface textures (or the air and sky) being smooth and rough, to movements slow and fast, distances between me and objects across the room will feel as close as my face will allow, yet too far away to touch. Sometimes I dream of a situation as such and it just gets too violent and loud(and vice versa) or just... too weird. Everything goes so fast the world looks like it will obliterate. This is happening right now. I lightly tap each key on my phone yet it feels as if I am agressively pounding it in fast/slow motion. My senses have never been so confused. My heart rate rises... Idk what this is but this is the first time Im hearing other humans speak about this So that is exciting.
I wish someone knows what it is.  Im not sure about alice in wonderland.  Ive never seen things big or small.  Its the same as most comments here.  Everything is fast and loud happened more often when i was kid all the way to when i was a teenager.  It didnt happen much anymore on my twenties and I dont remember it happening on my thirties.  Im 37.  My ten year old just had an episode tonight and i decided to look this up.  I would move faster or jump around to fix it.  There were times that it happened when i wasnt laying around but it mostly happened when I was.  
Hope this helps. (from my experience) one way to stop/to get out of that state that is taking to someone or speaking out loud  I had difficulties starting the conversation though, even there were people around me.. I've had the same seizures (or whaterver that is called) since I was a kid. On and off while doing something or just working. It stopped probably when I turned 24 (I'm 28 now). But few months ago it happened again. This might be totally unrelated, those were the times when I had no weed .After noticing that I kinda tested it out few times.. At the age of 24 I started smoking weed on a regular basis, kinda makes sense. It might be something else too lol. Anyway I'm just too high to write anymore. :P
I used to get this around 6/7 yrs of age...I think it's caused by the adrenal glands which can affect your reaction to things...fight or flight. As a kid I also had kidney problems and could have been a contributing factor...as well as stress being sexually abused etc...any food for thought...the mind and body working together to freak us out lol
It's a terrifying sensation, that I haven't felt since I was 17, until this morning that is 3 years later and this was the worst attack I've ever had.

"A random sensation occurring when I'm alone, with no warning.                        
Tiredness, loneliness? or is it boredom?
Suddenly my entire surroundings in my room become very intense!
A tremendous steady booming in my head!
Everything around me becomes faster,louder,rapid!
Minutes that feel like they last hours!
Hypersensitive to all sound, footsteps, breathing, it's all overpowering!
Why am i narrating everything I'm doing in my head?
Slightest movement seems exaggerated!
I feel paranoid, afraid to move!
Utterly helpless, my limbs feel like they belong to someone else, they do not fell like mine!
It comes as fast as it goes and when its gone its forgotten."
I have had these episodes for as long as I can remember. I always liked it from the beginning and try to allow it to go on for as long as I can. Around 30 minutes is the longest periods I have had. I can hear better when this happens as well. Moving and speaking also also increases as far as functionality and articulation are concerned. The falling of a pen across the room would be like a slow motion segment out of a movie yet happening in real time while my concentration is seemingly increasing or in a hyperactive state. I also had a friend who I found out had this and we talked about it at a young age. Later he and I both developed mental illness surfacing around 17. Furthermore, addictive personalities. I'm not  implying it's connected to these area but I would like to see if a correlation does exist.? I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. However I embraced it from the start and have been able to expand the duration of the moods. Sorry to all of you who find it frightening when this occurs. My overall hypothesis is it could be an evolutionary process and we are experiencing the beginning of an increased awareness of our senses to our environment both intrinsically and extrinsically. It allows me to take in more information objectively and sort it subjectivity. It's a very organized state of awareness. I never make mistakes during the periods and even though it's always strange I'm just better at handling my business in all forms during these episodes and places thinking and thoughts in a constructive manner.
After seeing these responses I felt I really should offer my own! I've had this since I was young like everyone else, as I remember experiencing it then. However I feel like it's only recently (I'm 18 by the way) that I started re-expereing it?

As of late I've kept a diary of every time it occurs, and so far I've had it 7 more times since August 2016. It lasts about 10 minutes on average, and my heart rate does not increase whilst it happens. The way I've described it when experiencing it is that things feel loud, fast and "intense". I also get a strange sensation before it happens where things just feel wrong (I suppose it's an anxious sensation) so I can tell it's going to start when I feel that way.

When it's happening there's sometimes a sensation in my mouth as well, a kind of weird fuzzy in addition to the same feeling on my hands. This tends to continue after the fast/loud thing has ended. As well as this, my thoughts are often pretty loud and I can 'hear' my thoughts yelling at me like "aaaa!". The intensity increases the longer it occurs for almost like I'm going to explode! I always feel like I might, the feeling is so overwhelming.

But all of this stuff doesn't feel physical for sure! I can definitely tell it's all in my head when it happens, which is frustrating because you're a back-seat passenger just waiting for it all to end. Meanwhile, all your other functions are totally fine. I won't go to a doctor about this because It isn't really a burden on my life, but I can't help but curious.
Oh I just wanted to add that being sick isn't something that influences the episodes for me. It just happens randomly, and I've never had a seriously high fever in my life! Only mediocre or average ones.
I was really hoping to find an answer to what this is but this is my experience.
When I was younger I experienced very similar to what you have all described speeding up of my time perception, becoming sound sensitive etc. However as well as it occurring whilst awake it would also happen in my sleep: I would hear an out of tune flat note (I think it was a guitar I could hear) that would get louder and faster, I would wake up in a sweat, crying and screaming. It is still the worst recurring nightmare I've ever had.
Until recently I had forgotten about it however about a year ago, I'm 18 in July, it started again, only when I'm awake. It happens a few times a month and it causes me to become very upset and distressed during, usually causing me to well up and verge on hyperventilating.
I do worry that it's stress related or worse and I hope that I find an answer to what it is soon and what I can do to help it, if I do I'll share it on here.
It's called, "Exploding Head Syndrome". I am not joking. Look it up. I used to get the same exact thing as a child (especially during fevers) and have only had it happen to me a few times during adulthood.
This exact thing happened to me! It happened fairly regularly as a kid and just happened to me now again for the first time in years (I'm 29). I did have a stressful day at work so maybe that triggered it. I still wish I knew what it was exactly. I've looked up Exploding Head Syndrome but I don't hear any explosions or have any sort of auditory hallucinations (which seem to be a component of EHS) so I'm not sure if that's it. But the OP described exactly what I feel. Ambient sounds and my own thoughts become very loud, and time both feels like it is rushing by and at the same time deliberately slowed down? So difficult to describe, which is probably why I could never articulate what was going on as a kid and only succeeded in confusing my mother before it passed. As an teenager/adult it just became a weird thing that happened occasionally. Pretty scary as a kid though.
I get the same thing time to time, I'm 16 at the moment. It happens about every month and only at night. Always thought I was crazy which made me not want to  explain to anyone otherwise. Sometimes I get headaches afterwards. Everything seems to speed up, everything sounds louder, I hear my own thoughts as if I was yelling them outloud but I could only hear them, and I get a weird tingling sensation throughout body. I don't know what it is or if it is some kind of mental disorder but I am a little worred about it. I want to know what this is called, I don't want to be unsure about this.
I feel now maybe it's a kind of anxiety dissorder...
I am currently 31, diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, and had this happen to me for 20-30 minutes every 2-8 months throughout my whole life since I was 7 years old.  It first started when I played the following game for 8-12 hours a day for a significant period of time:
I had a nightmare one night where I was seeing images of the game zooming in and out really fast and hearing a high pitch tinnitus sound getting louder and unbearably louder.  I then woke up feeling the same heightened sound sensations.  I only seem to experience the intensified (as oppose to louder) distortion of sound, my body parts feel bigger and any body movement feels amplified.  I, like so many others, feel very fortunate to have found this discussion as Ive never been able to feel like I can articulate the episodes correctly and have felt like I'm the only person in the world going through it.
the game I played was Treasure Island 1984
THIS HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME. IT STARTS OFF SLOW AND I CAN FEEL MYSELF FALLING INTO THE PATTERN AND ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BREAK ONCE I'M IN THE SENSATION. USUALLY IF I'M BY MYSELF FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME,(EVEN IF I HAVE MUSIC ON SO ITS NOT DEAD QUIET), IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN, BUT IT FEELS LIKE EVERYTHING SLOWS DOWN IN MY MIND BUT MY ACTIONS AND SURROUNDINGS ARE FAST AND VERY INTENSE. I CAN REMEMBER IT ONLY USED TO HAPPEN IF I HAD THE FLU AS A YOUNG CHILD AND FELT LIKE I WEIGHTED DOWN IN MY BED, WHILE EXPERIENCING THIS. BUT OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS IT JUST HAPPENS WHENEVER IT WANTS. I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT AND IT ONLY LASTS FOR A SHORT WHILE. I NOTICE THAT THE USE OF TECHNOLOGY WHILE GOING THROUGH IT MAKES IT SEEM TO STOP ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS?
I HAVE THE SAME THING AHHHHHHH WE ARE INSANE
My 8 year old son describes how he was feeling at dinner tonight and I knew right away that it was what I have experienced my whole life- exactly what everyone on here is describing.  

I always felt it impossible to not feel like these episodes were violent-- even if there was no physical violence whatsoever-- as every movement seemed aggressive and confrontational, every sound like a bomb!  EVERYTHING LOUD!!!  Like the volume on life had been turned up so loud that it was distorting,  I would try all kinds of tricks to shake it, but it always just seemed to come and go without warning or reason.  

Are there any explanations available on here?  I was told it sounded like a panic attack, but I don't know, I'm not really on board with that.  Any feedback is appreciated.  
I GET THE SAME THING AND I USED TO GET SICK AND FEEL THAT AND IM SO GLAD SOMEBODY ELSE KNOWS!
Same I always tried to explain it to anyone and they all looked at me crazy. It's hard too explain I would tell them but that didn't help it. And since I never knew what it was or could find how to determine it I just called "a different kind of deja vu" if anyone does find out what it is plz tell me
i have exactly the same thing. i was diagnosed with Mild right temporal lobe epilepsy. If you google it it tells you the same symptoms
I have the same thing, it started off when I was younger and had a fever and I didn't get it for a couple years but I'm 14 now and it's every couple of days that I get it. It's scary and everything seems angry and to loud. I have it right now at this moment and everything is faster louder and aggressive. I'm scared please help.
Read what I wrote... don't stress
I have gotten these for as long as I can remember too. They always occur at night when I'm laying in bed. Suddenly the bed feels like its made of cement and I know one is coming. Slowly all the sounds in the room become deafening loud. If I move the covers on the bed, this is so loud that I try to just stay still. My voice sounds the same when I speak. Then everything begins to move fast. Fast and loud. As a child I would describe this as someone crumpling a paper bag in my ear. The episodes last 5-10 minutes. Music stops them. It seems to create a tempo for my brain to follow. I have thought they were anxiety attacks, epilepsy and seizures. The closest I have come is Alice in wonderland syndrome; but that still isnt right. Doctors dont know what it is and since its not hurting me i just endure them and go back to sleep. I try to think of them as my brain being overwhelmed and needing a reset.
I left a message in this thread 3 years ago, and it's cool to see its quite active still(last message is only 8 days old).
Since quite a few more things've emerged recently on the "neurological" aspect of things in my life, I figured an update and some speculations would be appropriate to share.
In addition to the "intense loudness" episodes, I began having some bizarre unprecedented episodes where I'd feel intense deja vú and nausea for 15 secs, now and then. Although being very different in nature from the ones discussed here, it's yet a seizure/episode. Just another type.

Jennib14 shared here that she's been diagnosed with Mild Right Temporal Lobe Epilepsy; the same kind of Epilepsy has been suggested  concerning the other episodes i mentioned having. Correlated? Sure. In some way, most likely.
From my experiences with various neurological episodes and as Jennib14 adduced, it seems to lean toward seizures, particularly originating from the temporal lobe(which i think is responsible for sensory perception).
Not to alarm anyone, I'd conjecture this is due to some form of mild jerks/electric abnormalities in that part of the brain.
Notwithstanding, if anyone is getting very concerned, you might wanna have an EEG and MRI examination done at your neurologist.
Never hurts(unless they want you to start taking a bunch of useless nauseating meds lol). I'm having my 1st appt in a few weeks(i will be having EEG test)

It's not either surprising that we had these more regularly in our younger years; the brain is undergoing some crucial development during those periods. Therefore it makes sense and would be safe to assume that, during that stage, we are more liable to experience such things.
In spite of the many on this forum thread having admitted to having these episodes, it goes without saying that this is no ordinary phenomenon; eg, I've shared with many in my life about these symptoms and not one of them have been able to relate.
So, the reason as to why exactly  we are predisposed to having them, remains a mystery and, by the accounts of others here, I doubt a  neurologist even has a definite answer for.

Take care
Both myself and my sister had these episodes when we were children and into our twenties. I'm now 53 years old. My sister and me called these episodes 'The Quicks' because everything seemed to go faster, your limbs when moving seemed to move fast, people seemed to move fast, sounds became loud and speeded up. The horrible thing was the feeling of paranoia. People (family members) seemed malicious even though they were doing nothing out of the ordinary. My hands and arms did not seem like they belonged to me. The episodes arose like other people's, when everything was very quiet and also if I was doing something repetitive. My sister and me would tell each other when we were having The Quicks. It was really very weird. We both didn't know other people had them. Like someone else on here I remember singing and also doing something repetitive to get out of it. Like others I'd love to know definitively what it is and why it fades away with age.
@treehouse Yea , I could totally relate when you said that "they appeared malicious" while "nothing was out of the ordinary". This also triggered that paranoia feeling for sure ; it was crazy, but since i rarely have them anymore i kinda just laugh at it.
Thx for sharing
I am 29, female. From china. I have been experiencing this since early childhood. now much less frequent. once in a few months. I also experience sleep paralysis and lucid dreams at the same pace.

it usually lasts for 10 mins. When i was a kid, i would tell mom and she would pray with me. it would go away. my coping mechanism is to talk to someone either over the phone or in person. It used to overwhelm me. when i am older, I sometimes like to ride it out.

i just had an episode tonight after shower being alone at home. so I turned off lights and lit one candle to sit down and meditate. essentially to minimize all sensation stimulation. I tried to slow down my breath so I don't scare myself with the sound of my breath and try to quiet my thoughts so they don't sound too loud and aggressive. I try not to move at all. all my movements feel aggressive and violent.

sometimes, I would think to myself, if this sensation lasts longer, I would go insane.

I am very happy to have found it. I tried to explain it to other people, but no one understands it. mom just calls it demons.
I can't believe I found other people that experience this! It happened to me as a kid, usually when I had the flu! It's so hard to explain that I never told anyone about it. I tried to explain it to my friend once and I just sounded insane and she had no idea what I was talking about. I'm 27, and it has happened to me a couple times as an adult, but mostly when I was a child. The times when it happened to me as an adult, I was in college and I was prescribed to adderall. I would be studying and focusing for a long time and it would happen for maybe 10 minutes. I feel like if I think about it too much it might start happening again... insane. I thought I was the only one.
I was just talking to my son about this exact feeling...everything seems amplified. It's like the world is louder & moving faster. But you know it's just you that is experiencing it. Its happened to a handful of us on our family. It used to terrify me...& my two older boys. Now my 3rd son is experiencing it, too. I dont know if its spiritual or not, but I've had sooo many spiritual experiences & I have read that the spirit realm is much faster than here on earth. But in Heaven it doesn't seem that way. I don't know. This is very interesting to me, though! (This thing does not like apostrophes)
That just happened to me... same everything. I am 14 and i have a fever. It lasted 5-10 minutes this has only ever happened once or twice before. I don't know what to do it scared the crap out of me
Wow this happened to me when I was young and it never happens any more , I never understood this feeling and now that I’m older I always though maybe it was a dream. When I was a child my sisters and brothers Always got the fever and everytime they got the fever they experienced seeing things , I always watched my mom holding them telling them no one is there and I could remember my sister or brother crying and screaming to my mom saying someone was right there trying to get them .this had never happened to me this only happened to my brothers or sister when ever they got a fever. Me on the other hand I always experienced something different that I never understood. I didn’t get sick as much as my relatives but I always had those moments where everything in my room would just start to spin and move really fast, everything I Hurd in my head was just really really LOUD! I don’t get fevers now that much but reading these comments realizing that everyone experienced this as a child I’m starting to feel like wtf is in those vaccines these hospitals be giving us when we are young. Because I don’t get that feeling any more last time I felt it was when I was about 15 I am 25 years old now. Like my sisters and brothers use to be terrified when they had a fever they all experienced seeing shyt coming after them and I could remember them panicking in my mother’s arms crying and screaming because they was so scared. Wth is that all about and it ONLY happened when they was sick with a fever ?????? You just gotta start questioning shyt the doctors was the only ones who injected something inside our blood it makes no sense to get sick with a fever and everything around you is moving fast or your seeing shyt coming after you. Makes no sense
I don't exactly know how to describe it, but right before it happens I get a weird feeling..something JUST isn't right and I feel it coming. When it finally does come I'm overwhelmed by this really intense sound just repeating in my head and I can't make it stop. Things start to move really really fast in my head but when I go to look around it's in slow motion. As I'm looking around the noises around me that didn't exist before have gone over the top loud! When all of this is happening I'm hearing a loud crowd of people talking fast and I can't make out what they are saying but in my head I understand everything that they want me to do..its like they are yelling at me to move faster and faster but they aren't saying it in English. When I would look down at a pen or a book on the table it would be so extremely close to my face, but at the same time way too far away to reach. If I would go to reach for the pen it feels as though I'm going for it so fast that it's aggressive..like reaching for it so fast that my elbow pops. But now in my head I'm  not moving fast at all but I am on the outside. Or at least that's how it feels. When I would try to stand up i would feel like a giant and when I would look down it was like i was 50 feet in the air and id begin to lose balance and my head as I call it "get supper heavy and cloudy". I also feel really really small and the room gets really big around me. While all of this is happening there's a voice in my head yelling something along the lines of "they think you're lying this dosent happen to people you're lying, you're faking, they don't believe you" so with everything in my head moving really fast, sounding really loud, and having multiple things yelling at you all at once...IT'S TERRIFYING
My daughter also suffers from this.  She is currently at home from school sick with a fever and has had quite a few over the past 48 hours.  She has also had them when she is well but not for a while.  It is absolutely terrifying for her.  This morning she clung on to me and asked me to stay still as what I was doing in the kitchen was extremely loud for her.  Everything is also in hyper speed.  She also complained of numbness in her fingers last night when it happened and came into me during the night as it happened in her sleep and woke her up.  I am very concerned that I should be more proactive and bringing her to the doctor and demanding all sorts of tests or should I try not to worry her and see what happens when she feels better.  She is 14 now and has had a history of anxiety,  Any advise greatly received. Thank you
Yes yes yes !!! I thought I was the only one in the world that this happens to , I got it since I was a kid , I would hear yelling in the background in my head like arguing or something and when I move it seems fast and slow at the same time , I look at my hand and it looks big and far away but close at the same time , I would walk to my kitchen trying to sing a song to make it go away ,  my  voice would sound low like no one can hear me but I hear everything extra loud like if the water was dripping from the faucet it would sound amplified times 100
Okay, seeing this comment gave me so much relief that im not the only one who experiences this, that you hear a crowd of people yelling in your head and you can't quite make out what they're saying. That everything around you is louder and more amplified in your head and it just repeats and repeats and it doesn't stop. You feel small verses your surroundings and you feel like a "giant" or light headed when you stand up. I have experienced this since I was young but the past year it's gotten so bad, i get it nearly 2 times a week now and it's the most overwhelming feeling I have ever experienced. I have looked into this for years and never found anyone online who has explained this feeling or experience so perfectly as you did in your comment. I was honestly convinced i write it myself LOL is there anything you do to stop this? Have you talked to anyone like a doctor about this? I'm desperate for answers because I absolutely can't stand it.
This happened to me constantly when I was young but I wasn’t sick. And it still happens to me maybe a few times a year and I’m 20 years old. Once again I have never been sick when this happens but I think that because so man people say they were sick it must be a clue. So I have anxiety and have never been diagnosed with anything but it runs in my family and my mom takes medication for it. I believe that if there is stress put on the brain whether it be a fever or malnutrition or anxiety, that this may occur. Let’s come up with a name for it! I haven’t found one.. how about left hemisphere aggression syndrome?
I too have had these since my teen years. I'm now 29. I've always thought it could be something to do with stress or anxiety. However I just had one of these episodes and after reading others experiences I might have a fever and could have caught the flu. It's strange and worrys me. I too get these loud voices in my head talking fast. I never really catch or remember what it is the voices are saying. Also it's seems as if my actions speed up. But I know in reality Im not moving any faster then I ever do. Its as if I loose  control of my mind. I tried telling a friend about it in my early 20s but it all sounded strange to her and and my me seem/feel crazy. The convo only lasted a couple of mins and I've never brought it up to anyone else again. I'm truly glad I've seen that I'm not the only one. Also I did have fever seizures when I was little. I wonder if there's a connection.    
Ok this is Alice in wonderland syndrome I’ve had this since being very young.
I dont have an answer but would like to know what is happening. Our son, age 7, just started having these spells and he starts bawling and tells us everything is loud and fast. The first time he had this happen was about a week ago and he was by dad. Dad wasnt moving or talking and our son all of a sudden started crying and asked his dad why he was going so fast and talking so loud... it doesnt last long but it has been occurring at least once a day for a week now. We are concerned  
This happens to me too about every 4 months or so .. I would hear loud arguing in the back of my head but low , I would feel like I’m moving super fast than slow as I reach what I’m reaching for , things would sound extra loud ex; if I drop a pen it would feel like the whole house would hear it or if I turn the water on it would be soo loud .. my thoughts would speed through my mind but I would feel like I’m talking slow . When this happens I get fascinated with my hands because they would look extra big  but they would seem far away
Has anyone ever woke up in a panic as if you can’t breath and than you don’t know if your dead or alive , it feels like I’m fading away to another realm , it feels like your heart isn’t beating and I almost can’t feel my own hands until it finally slips away and I feel human again .. I’m not weird lol , I had an accident at my job site and had to undergo two spinal fusions c56 and lumbar ls51  it’s been happening ever since the accident , fall from 25ft off a ladder
I have had this for years, a lot less now that I’m older but I have a way to get rid of it just as it starts or if I can feel it coming on. It’s pretty dumb but I just watch sponge bob the tv show and that here’s rip of it straight away. Not sure why, maybe because I watched a lot of it when I was a child? Someone give it a go and let me know if it works? Maybe spongebob is the cure!
Gets rid*
I have called it the funny feeling or fast feeling for years now
I would also love to know what type of people you guys are, to see if there is any similar themes.

I’m creative/musical and an introvert and a bit of a gamer
OMG SAME , and I haven’t had it for like 4 years and then got sick, came back, and now I’ve had it pretty much every night.
People, I think I found it! You should search for "Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE)". Read this:
https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/temporal-lobe-epilepsy-aka-tle
Hi, this happens to me every time I get up at an odd hour, or i have bouts of insomnia. It seems to happen around 7am if up all night... Or if I didn't get enough sleep. For example- Showering in the morning to try to wake up instead of sleeping like is should, the voices that arent there the sounds and speed... everything speeding up and the real stuff slowing down, the shower echoing and these voices non coherent sound like they are getting closer, and a white noise all at once, then like pounding on the bathroom shower stall echoing slow and reverby and heavy. Or when I get up to check an email its silent around me, and my head gets loud and the sound of the typing has the pounding on the shower wall effect to try to get my brain to stop speeding up having this skitzo moment, this has happened to me a few times during the day too. Maybe not just tiredness or lack of sleep. Maybe when my brain is processing one thing, a task, like typing something... and my brain processing thoughts too. Its a sensory overload entirely. I am not certain if it is a seizure, a form of bipolar mania, skitzephrenia isn't skitzephrenia if you know it isn't real, well thats what most doctors tell me. And their is also maybe seizures. BUT unless they are right by you when you are having one, how are they going to trace it happening to you? mine are so rare. every few months to once a year or just generally infrequent.  but they are as intense if not more and more each new time. If anybody knows... Email me, a doctor more so. e m b e r j a y r u t h @ g m a i l . c o m
Look up Derealization and Depersonalization!!!!!!!!!
This tends to happen a lot with anxiety.
I have this feeling when I read something in silent late night. I searched and asked a lot just like plenty of people here and I reached to some syndrome named "Alice in wonderland". But when I googled it, the descriptions are not accurate as our feeling. I enjoying it sometime but if it bothers you just put a head set with some low volume music on.
i been getting that feeling since i was alittle kid matter fact i’m getting that feeling righrnow like i hear voices and people are screaming at me and eveyrhinf is justgoing so fast i can’t explain this feeling .. it really sucks .. i had this for over 30 years
Anyone else here have adhd?