Neurology Community
45k Members

Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

I first experienced this weird sensation when i was a child and had a bad fever/illness in bed. Suddenly my entire surroundings in my bedroom became very intense and everything around me became fast and almost louder in my mind, although they weren't in reality.

Ever since then i sometimes (about once every few months) experience this odd sensation and it can become a bit worrying and strange.

The whole room seems to have a new feeling to it- everything im doing whether it be walking or typing seems to intensify and become louder yet the actions are very exaggerated and almost speed up (only perceived this way). I find it very difficult to explain fully but i'm worried it's some early signs of a neurological condition or something?

It usually only onsets when i'm alone and have a lot of silence for a while...?

Does you know what this could be, please?
OH MY GOD!! I though it was only me. I know EXACTLY what your talking about!!!! It hasn't happened to me in years, but all of a sudden at this very moment its back. So I couldn't help but search it online once again and behold. I find you! MAN my typing sounds obnoxious right about now! This has definitely never been documented. It's soo trippy. I really hope we find more people like us!
I have it also.. It feels like everything is happening really fast and the thoughts in my head are really fast, but really it's just normal speed. I feel like I'm talking and moving really fast when it's happening but I sound  normal to others. I would love to kno WTF this is it's scary as I get older and can actually think about the possibilities. I couldn't really explain it when I was younger so I was always blown off about it!
I have also experienced this. As with you, the first time I encountered it was when I was a child with a fever. Lately I've been having it more frequently, and I'm eager to find out what it is.
123que double posted this thread and on the twin thread someone comments on it claiming it to be a "simple partial seizure". I've since read up on SPS's and the symptoms are only vaguely similar and seeing as all three of us have the exact same symptoms I doubt it is a simple partial seizure. The symptoms are much to specific to simply be pushed into some vaguely similar preexisting disorder.
wow.... i just experienced the same thing seconds ago and out of desperete need of an explanation i googled this..
im actually doing my project for school right now that is due tommorow and ive been sitting in front of my computer for several hours of silence.
out of no where, my mind kind of wandered and my ears focused on the smallest noises. typing keys are like banging, and the sound coming from my computer booms. everything is magnifyed in perspective, and ringing within my head.
It hurts my ears, and basically the slightest things creep me out..
I dont understand it but ive had these moments about once each year. I think ur right about the silent part. it usually happens when i am stressed out? i think and have not slept for a long time.

i remember my first time was when i was little, and I visited the doctor and got ct scans or whatevver they are called but never quite got any specifics.
they thought it was something to do with anxiety? i dont really remember but il ask my mom tommorow... seeing its 3 oclock now.. haha back to hw.
This happenned fairly often when I was a child. Now in my 20's, it happens only sometimes. I had not thought about it much, until the other day when it happened fairly intensely. I kind of just sat in silence and absorbed all the very fast, exaggerated sounds around me (and loud, rapid thoughts in my head), until it all became too much, and I forced myself to get up and go for a walk. Just getting up to leave the house was intense - walking gently to the door seemed like I was stomping, and moving at the speed of light, but I knew I wasn't. I could hear my thoughts yelling "I'M WALKING TO THE DOOR I SHOULD GO FOR A WALK I'M TURNING THE DOOR HANDLE" etc. After a couple of minutes of walking, and listening to my iPod, it subsided.

It's a hard thing to describe, so when I actually found people online describing EXACTLY what happens I was pretty amazed. I can be sitting in a quiet room, maybe with some people in another room talking, but then it all seems so loud, fast and intense. The people talking in the other room seem like they're yelling, my own thoughts are loud, and my slights movement seems exaggerated and agressive. It's not painful, and usually not concerning - actually quite fascinating, like for that period of time it is happening I am connected to my surroudings and myself in a different way.

Usually happens during illness/fever/stress/tiredness. Usually happens when I've been quiet for a while.
Same thing with me guys.  When I saw the post I said, no way!
I am usually on the ms forum, no diagnosed yet but seeing this is indeed trippy!