Nutrition Forum

brestfed and underweight

My 10 months daugther was born with 3.4 kg and 51 cms, her growth was very normal until the 3 months were she started refusing to be breastfed. She stills breastfeed but for  short periods and mainly when she is sleeping. she refuses any milk given by bottle or cup and she started solids at 6 months, having around 4 solid meals a day. She nurses around 4-5 times a day. Her weight is  very low, though her height (71 cms) and head circunference are pretty normal.. I have tried everything but nothing seems to be working, I am very worry that she could be having a main medical problem.. any help?
Her weight is just under the 5th percentile and her height is just under the 50th percentile for her age. Have you tried giving her breast milk in a sippy cup? If she accepts that then she can drink more breast milk from the sippy cup. If you cannot produce enough then slow wean her off the breast milk by starting with ¾ breast milk and ¼ formula, go to half and half, then ¼ breast milk and ¾ formula, and finally to all formula. You can do each mix every 3-4 days as long as she is accepting the mixture. Try giving her yogurt and cheese for substitute of milk also. When she is one year old suggest she drinks Pediasure for milk or mix Carnation Instant breakfast mix into her milk if she weight is still on the lower side. If you are concerned she may have a medical issue then bring her to her MD to be checked. Thank you for your question.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.