Groin pain-unable to lift leg

I am an avid hiker, biker kayaker etc.  For four months I've been unable to lift my leg without pain. Example, getting into a car. I have to lift my right leg.  To cross my legs when sitting I have to lift my leg.  It is undiagnosed but my GP sent me to Physical Therapy.  They have no idea, but have me doing pilates style exercises.  Nothing is changing. I'm worried, frustrated and miss my life the way it was. Any ideas what this might be, what type of Dr. I should see?  Help
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi jlwanderer
     I think you need to see an orthopedic doctor, it will be a big help for you.
Helpful - 0
Hi I'm antonio an I'm having the same problem as you. Have you found out the problem yet,if so tell me what should I do
Helpful - 0
Hi, Antonio.I'm Maria. Have u found anything out yet?
I've been experiencing everything I read here. Mine started 10 years ago in the gym doing leg presses and lifting my butt off the seat. Bad idea. I went to doctor after doctor with no results. Except a little arthritis.Then things got worse after I retired 3 years ago and am doing more sitting. PT had me doing yoga stretches (which I was already doing) and the many chiropractors didn't help or made things worse. I'm still doing the stretches and they help a little. But I'm at my wits end now because I can't sleep at night without pain relieving creams and I walk with a cane because I can't trust the leg. I don't trust doctors anymore because none of them seem to know what's wrong and I hate wasting money like that. But I want to fix it. I can't stand the pain any more. I'm afraid.
Helpful - 0
Have u found out the cause yet?
I too have this issue i have had 8 heart stents and they went through my right femoral artery and i have the same pain and cant lift my right leg and no relief laying down cant lay for long periods of time it hurts to turn side to side hurts in my back out to the front of my lower abdominal area I'm at my ends witts please give me some advice
i had this same thing for months. then i started taking fish oil and a baby aspirin and it went away. for months i was barely able to get my leg in the car. i also had pain in that hip that went away at the same time. i could finally sleep on my R side
Helpful - 0
I suffered 1 year before my physical therapist figured out a labrial tear. I was referred to a orthopedic who performed a repair.  All was good for a while until the chronic limping prior to surgery caused a multitude of other lower back pain, dropped left foot with plantar faciitis .  I sought out "STEM CELL THERAPY" , prolotherapy and PRP injections.  It's made a HUGH IMPROVMENT IN THE PAIN , So after improving for several weeks, I am now back to pain in the groin and unable to lift my leg. I don't believe for a minute the stem cell therapy had anything to do with it. I'm assuming it's either a pinched nerve, so I'm doing my Ecosgue ordered excersices with some relief until I can get it rechecked.
Helpful - 0
I am 61 female, have been walking/jogging 4 x week for the past 10 yrs..6 yrs ago,sharp pain in left groin: went to an orthopedic surgeon; had an MRI: labrum tear...basically nothing you can do about it; only rest and wait. Now I have sharper" pain in the right groin area; I want to rule out a femoral hernia--so going to ortho again...I have to pull up my leg with my hands in order to get into my car!!..It is very bad not being able to walk or jog..it is the only exercise I enjoy & its free...plus gives me lots of energy & keeps my weight in check... I've been taking Aleve at night..since it hurts when leg is in certain position in bed!...Lets see what the Dr. says...will keep you posted
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem - I am a female at age 62 I have pain in my left hip that travels down to my groin and down the inside of my thigh - very difficult to sleep at night as the pain keeps me up.  Thanks  
Hi!  That's unfortunate to have that kind of pain.  Absolutely you should see your doctor.  Let us know what they say!

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.