Pain management for lumbar pain induced numbness?

I have numbness on my right buttock and back of my right thigh for four weeks now. I also have lower back discomfort. I wouldn't even call it pain. I've had x-rays and an MRI. I just yesterday started having nerve twitches in my genital area. I'm positive it is related. My doc has set me up with a pain mgt doc next week. But how can pain mgt help the numbness to go away? It does not make sense to me.
That numbness sounds like sciatica.  Which I've had!  My doctor told me about stretches I needed to do which eventually released the involved nerve.  Here's a link to some stretches to try.  https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches  I agree that pain management seems premature here.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Numbness usually indicates a compression of a nerve.
Are you seeing your primary care physician or a board certified spine surgeon?
While the primary can order tests etc, given the numbness - your best option for proper diagnosis and treatment is to consult a spine surgeon.
They are uniquely qualified to look at the actual MRI images and see any nerve root impingement or compression, rather than just rely on the MRI report. Given it’s been ongoing and now you are experiencing different new symptoms, that would be my suggestion

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community