Parenting Children (6-12) Community
2.28k Members
Avatar universal

child being bad

i have a 9 year old neice who lives with me ,her mum spolit her rotten the child had control over at all times she never did as she was told .everything she asked for she  got off her  ,i have had her live with me 6 month now and she is finding it hard with rules she calls me ,says shes going to hit me .screams alsorts out of the window .lies all the time .pretends to cry when shes in trouble ...she as told social services i have punched her when i havent ..dont know what to try next i have keep her in and taken stuff off her but not working she gos worst when she sees her mum once a month
4 Responses
134578 tn?1602101550
Is there any way for the child (and you) to see a children's therapist?  Issues of setting boundaries are the biggest things in relationships between adults and kids, and often benefit from professional assistance.  As far as seeing her mother, maybe she should not see her, if it is upsetting to your home life.  What does social services say or do?
Avatar universal
social service havent done nothing they have just said shes testing you to see how far she can go .also she as lived with my other sister well everything was sorted with court case of were she was going to stay she lived there for about 6 month she as lived with my other sister on and off all her life it took her 12 month to get her to be good .after that she had no problems with her .then she want back to her mum and it started again .i think she wants her mum so she can get away with everything .because she cart have her .she takes it out on me i have also just found out that when she stays at my mums she spoils her rotten and lets her get away with everything so all my hard work is thrown out of  the window
973741 tn?1342342773
I would second annibrook's advice to seek therapy for this girl.  She has had a tremendous amount of instability in her life being moved from here to there.  While you say her mother spoiled her rotten, quite the contrary in my opinion.  She sounds like she has had it rough.  It is very difficult for a child to have had so much disruption in their life to trust adults.  They do often act out.  I think a therapist should be able to help.  Perhaps the court can appoint one.  I'd at least try.  good luck (and rescuing a child is one of the most noble things a person can do).  
Avatar universal
i am going to see the doctor over getting her some help ..
Have an Answer?
Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.