Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
278 Members

accident cause prolapse

I read the many causes for prolapse.I see all the general reasons so to speak,  but I am very intune with my body and know the accident I had was the cause for my prolapse, but can not find anything online documenting such...  Where can I go to find more research on this matter.  I was like a cartoon character ice skating for the first time, doing the splits this way and that way while maintaining my balance so as not to fall to the floor...It was at this time that something did not feel quite right and in the following couple of days I felt something different in my vagina ( a bulge of sorts).  Now this accident occurred Monday evening and by Friday I knew I needed to call the Dr. but it was past 5 o'clock so first thing the following Monday I called and made an appointment with the Dr. , which confirmed my suspicions of prolapse.  I had no problems what so ever previous to this accident.  The Dr.'s are telling me that this is related to vaginal birth etc. etc. .  I have not given birth for 26 years and have been just great until the accident.  EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTIL THE ACCIDENT,  I AM VERY INTUNE WITH MY BODY and would have noticed if anything was wrong before the accident.  What I need is some direction to where to look for information concerning others who have had similar problems and are trying to find some documentation as to such.  PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Most women who have POP have several causal factors; one that is dominant (most often childbirth) and the rest just stacking the deck. While the skating accident may have pushed the envelope, it is likely that the combo of vaginal childbirth (structural weakness that was the result of) and lowered estrogen levels (as our estrogen drops, our muscle tissue strength and integrity is impacted-all muscle tissue, both internal and external). Women often don't recognize signs and symptoms because they don't know what those signs and symptoms are-they often mimic other health concerns. Realistically, the most important thing to recognize is not what the cause was, it's that you have POP and it needs to be addressed (won't go away by itself). A urogynecologist is the specialist for this condition. Has your physician made any treatment suggestions or told you what types of POP you have (there are 5 types) or the degree of severity? If not, I'd recommend you see a urogyn for clarification and treatment path.
Sher
Thanks for your reply,  like I said, I am very intune with my own body and when I detected the bulge in my vagina was immediately following the accident.  So then I went online to figure out what was going on and called and made appointment with a Dr..  Again like I said, I went to the Dr. and they confirmed my suspicions.  I had a pap smear done just about 18 months prior and everything was just fine and also at time of pap, I asked how did everything seem to be?  Was told everything was good , just needed to wait now for results of pap test.  When I have something wrong I take immediate action and take care of whatever may be the problem...
For example a brain anurysm in July 2010, opted to have it coiled.  They found a nodule in my right lung in 2009 , also once again opted for the lung resection to check everything out and make sure things would be alright.  So, as you can see, I do not wait around when something is wrong. I take action, as with this medical problem which I have surgery scheduled for April 2012.  I do know in my heart of hearts that my problem is a direct result of the accident.  What you have stated is like saying every woman is destined for this medical condition.  Get real, my grandmother had her 11th child at the age of 44 and had no such problem .  If this was true what you have been led to believe, then that would mean all women HAVE A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION.   UNTRUE!!!  
Not every woman is destined for this, but 50% of women over 50 have it. Current scenario is no screening is done during pelvic exam (not that drs don't see POP during pelvic exam, they are simply not pursuing it-I speak with women from 20s up with POP on a regular basis; all women should be told about the classic signs/symptoms of POP minimally when pregnant so it can be caught early. Here's a link to article I posted that lists symptoms and causal factors-indicators that so many women have.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Womens-Health/Taking-Pelvic-Organ-Prolapse-Out-of-the-Closet/show/1148?cid=994

Honestly it doesn't matter what causes it, what matters is that  you recognized something is wrong and are addressing it. I'm hopeful that physician doing the surgery is a urogynecologist-this is the specialsist for POP-especially if mesh is being utilized for the repair. Mesh placement is extremely intricate and it is important that we do our homework to make sure the procedure utilized (there are many for POP repairs) is being done by someone who is well experienced. What type of POP do you have? (There are 5 types, women often have more than 1.) What is the degree of severity (there are 4)? If your physician has not filled in the blanks, ask more questions.

Some women are "made for having babies" but after 11 children I'd be shocked if your grandma did not have POP. Often women do not disclose this condition because the symptoms are so personal. What matters is you address your own scenario, no matter what the backdrop is for other women you know. Good luck, I hope things go smoothly with your procedure.

Sher
Look first of all I am well educated and well rounded , thank you.  My Dr. is an urogynecologist...  I have read all the statistics for the causes, etc..  My family is a very communitive one.  I myself had six children, with my last being delivered 26 years ago.  In fact the Dr. was so amazed that he commented on the elasticity of my vagina and such,  THANK YOU. Most women will go through life accepting explanations for their medical conditions without questioning why?.  Either they are very accepting  or take defeat without a care.  Come on women, get a clue and question why.
I read ongoing research continually and communicate daily with urogyns, physical, occupational, biofeedback, myofascial release, and visceral manipulation therapists, and research physicians and have never heard of a skating or similar accident by itself being the cause of POP(not saying it is impossible, just saying I've never heard of it). I can run it up the flagpole with my connections but don't want to dig any deeper if it will cause more frustration for you.Let me know if you want me to dig into this, if I don't hear a go-ahead I'll let it drop.
GO AHEAD PLEASE and it was not a skating accident, that was just an example.  I did the splits this way and that way while trying to maintain my balance after slip and sliding on a substance in the walkway.