STDs / STIs Community

CHRONIC YEAST INFECTION

Hello Dr,
Please help me.Im 26 yr old lady who is suffering from chronic vaginal yeast infection since 6 months. I have tried all flucanazole tablets, suppositories etc but i get temporary relief and it comes back! I am in monogamous relation since past 9 years and since 5 months I have abstained from sex but it still comes back.i have tested for other stds and diabetes but negative. I am highly stressed as i read that it could be 1st sign of HIV in women. I have never had any encounters except with my husband who is healthy. Im unable to live my life due to fear and am nearly suicidal. I used 2 get yeast infections in past but only 1-2 in a year. but this time it is chronic. I have to pee every 1 hour and the next day my vulva becomes red and i get the curdy discharge (all this seems to start right after periods and seems to last the entire mnth till next period ) I have had positive c albicans yeast cultures. I have tried yogurt, garlic, everything!!! please please tell me whats going on wiith my body? I am very very scared
XYZ
Go the homeopath route.  You have nothing else to lose at this point.  Also, continue to work with your doctor as well.  There are studies that show homeopath in conjunction with antibiotics or medical treatments will help increase healing.  I'm not sure what the combination is with yeast infections, but I read a lof of stuff about prostatitis, so there my be some literature about yeast infections.  

What I mean is,certain supplements will increase the uptake and effectiveness of the medicines into the body, making them more effective.  There must be something out there on yeast infections.  
I haven't seen anything that indicates this is a 1st sign of HIV in women.  It may facilitate HIV transmission when in advanced stages of yeast overgrowth, but since you're in a monogomous relationship, you have no worries there.  

I'm no expert in yeast infections but what I have heard is that you can get some relief by changing the diet and supplementing with homeopathic remedies.  I know this is supposed to be a medical forum but I've heard that these two things combined with prescription anti fungals should help clear it up.  Sorry I can't be more help.  
sometimes it just sucks to be female :(  chronic vaginitis is actually fairly common and isn't a reason to think that you had to have contracted hiv. if you have hiv concerns, by all means get tested for it so you can stop worrying about it!

continue to follow up monthly with your providers as needed for this. multiple different medications you can try alone and together to try to get to the bottom of this. also if you and your partner aren't having protected sex, give that a try too. sometimes keeping your partners semen out of your vagina, helps keep the ph of your vagina better to ward off fungal infections vaginally.

fem dophilus by jarrow is a probiotic I and many others here have had good luck with. it has been proven to colonize the urogenital tracts of women consistently to help keep the "good" bacteria at levels high enough to keep the "bad" bacteria under better control. You use it with prescription medications to battle the issue from both sides of things. You can buy it on amazon even if your local health store doesn't have it. store it in your fridge and take it 2x/day until you've been vaginitis free for a few months.  might be worth the trouble of getting it to have less vaginitis!

this really is not a std related issue so if you have further issues with yeast, the women's health communities are much better suited for it :)

grace
Grace - That was a great answer!  That's good stuff to know.  
I can tell you this.. before I had my son (10 years ago) I had 2 yeast infections in my whole life.. I had him when I was 23.. after I gave birth to my son I have had numerous.. countless yeast infections. I read that some women are just more prone than others to having them. I recently had one of the cottage cheese type infections and was startled but my husband told me he's noticed them before.. he just says that he thinks it's because I'm fixing to start my period or I'm fixing to have a "real" yeast infection (ya know, the kind where ya itch and it makes ya wanna jump through the roof, lol ;)

and the peeing.. I can tell ya.. is from stress.. I just went through that myself.. long story..
wow!! u guys are really supportive n helpful..i hope i can work it out..
@grace: yes i hate being a woman...i wish there was some way to put an end to all these infections. i recently ordered 5lac..heard its good.. but ya il try that fem dophilus.
Im glad to know im not alone and i hope some day we women get permanent relief from all this.
BTW: im in usa but im frm a foreign country..d medical bills are too high.. n d gynaecs dont seem to help..one insisted that it was common and wanted me 2 insert monistat all month round!!
every night i pray to god to give me strength to face it..
anyone who has had chronic yeast infections and has found a solution plzzzzzzz help me
thanks
xyz
the probiotics in that product appear to be the ones that colonize the bowels, not the urogenital tract.

not unusual to do long term yeast treatments when you can't seem to get rid of it. about the same price for oral diflucan as it is monistat so I usually ask for the oral pill so I have less mess to deal with.

when you tried the garlic, did you insert it vaginally nightly for 2 weeks?

grace
no grace..i used to eat garlic clove whole... im anemic too..is that what must be causing the chronicity? im gonna start homeopathy soon..hope that works for me....
I'll give ya a couple tips I've learned over the years that helps me. When I get a yeast infection I get the regular 3 day miconazole suppositories (I even use the generic brands like equate and rexall). That does the trick for me if I use it correctly (do NOT miss a night), until another infection rears it's ugly head. I've just got used to the infections after 10 years and don't go to the doctor anymore about it. Also keeping everything clean down south is very important. Don't use vaginal wipes, scented soaps or anything like that to clean with.. I just use dial antibacterial soap and I make sure to rinse completely then I take my hairdryer on a cool setting and make sure I"m dry before putting any underwear on. I ONLY wear 100% cotton underwear also. You should try sleeping with only loose fitting clothes on and no underwear.. Let that area get plenty of air.. no tight fitting clothes.. it's not recommended to douche either.
My yeast infections have lessoned in number greatly since I've formed a routine of taking better care of myself. Try your best to lower your stress.. even if you have to get on meds like anxiety pills or depression meds. Stress hinders the body from recovering and encourages yeast growth.. and speaking of yeast infections I just getting over one (my last infection was in March). Last night was my last night on the miconazole and it's gone now.
One thing I like to do when I start feel an infection arising (burning, itching) is to take my hand held shower head and clean myself real good with that, with water as hot as I can stand it. It relieves the itching and I really believe it kills off those nasty buggers because sometimes I don't even have to use medicine to treat the infection!! I actually wash the yeast out with the sprayer. If you dont' have a hand held sprayer then you could buy a douche bottle (it's actually a bag with a hose on it) at the store and fill it with very warm water to clean yourself out... no vinegar or nothing else. Sorry to sound gross but it works for me. This time I was using the sprayer and my yeast infection was going away but I decided to use medicine anyway (especially since I have ALSO been on my period, lol.. when it rains it pours ;) Best of luck.. hope you feel better soon!!
eating garlic doesn't help with vaginal yeast infections dear!! It needs to be inserted internally nightly for 2 weeks. instructions for how to do so are on the 'net if you google it.

I don't recommend showering with really hot water either - it doesn't kill the yeast, it causes damage to the skin as well as if you are douching with a handheld shower nozzle or with a regular douche, it actually screws up your protective flora and just makes a bad problem worse :(    it's not cleaning yourself out, it's disrupting the natural protection you have as well as shoving bacteria further up your urogenital tract to do more harm !
yes i agree with grace..its a very bad idea to shower n try to clean it..
I am so frustrated.. i recently tried tea tree oil intravaginally and also yeastguard supposataries.. but to my dismay today im starting to get the cottage cheesy discharge again... ive lost all hope..wht is wrong with me:((
I am just saying what has worked for me after suffering for 10 years from yeast infections. It has made me feel so much better and has helped decrease my infections.. has never made my infections worse. I'm talking about using straight water.. no douches.
please someone help me...im just not recovering from it...seems like i have an infection d entire month... fed up of using creams n pills.. :(((
thanks shakentocore...
im still worried so as to why my body doesnt seem to heal these infections..i have no other health problems otherwise(touchwood) but i take too much stress and am a very emotional person, im praying a lot to god to heal me from this yeast so that i can resume my Normal life again:(
these things happen to people and it becomes very emotional.  No on knows why for sure, but everyone is different and our immune systems react differently.  For some reason or another you're more suseptible to this form of yeast.  You will find a way to beat it, just be persistent.  Good luck and let us know if you make any progress.  
thanks stressed...
i hope i can fight it..im keepin faith...i want to hv babies and be happily married:(((
thanks stressed...
aarrgghh... again im peein like every half an hour... what has increased urination got to do with yeast infections? I gt tested for diabetes ..negative... only thing left is hiv..but im not mentally prepared for it:( im really scared people.... why is my yeast not gng :((
This is not a symptom of HIV.  If you really can't get it out of your head, tell your doctor and test for it.  

Try not to stress too much and keep working with your doctor.  I know it's easier said than done, but I know what you're going through.  

im so thankful for ur efforts to help me... ur  words mean a lot to me:)
as i said i really dont have the courage to test for this..t im in d usa but im a foreigner here..ive cum to study further here... and my husband..my mom dad..everyone is back home.. its very tough to struggle on my own.. the doctors bills are so expensive here..my student insurance wont cover such problems:( im at a loss:( i have asked for homeopathy medications from home..its on d way...i reallyyy am keepin my fingers crossed.Hope that helps me out:/
why does this thing crop up whenever i search the net?????????/

"Repeat infections that occur immediately following treatment, or a persistent yeast infection that does not respond to treatment, may be the first or, at least, an early sign that an individual is infected with HIV."

im paranoid please help
no reason to think you have hiv just because you keep getting vaginitis. vaginitis is very common in females and frequent recurrences isn't unusual at all either.

you need to go and be seen today and get some basic urine testing done as well as get retested for yeast vaginally. at this point I would not self treat at all and make sure you are getting properly tested for yeast. would be a shame if you had yourself all worked up like this over something not worth being worked up about. not all discharge is yeast and if you are having such a hard time with things, being seen each time you have discharge is a good idea.
thanks grace.... but 2 months ago i had gt a culture done 2 mnths ago n it was + for c albicans. im getting the same symptoms now..n my gynaec is not at all good.She told me 2 keep using monistat wenever i get it again..so does that mean i need to insert monistat 30 days a mnth :(((( n another culture wud mean more than 1000s of$$..im at a loss in life:(
Use the 3 day treatment... at night when you're sleeping ofcourse. I have used the 3 day treatments for 10 years and they work everytime as long as I don't miss a night.. there's no way I'm going to keep going to the doctor everytime I get an infection.. my insurance would probably drop me on my @$$! lol

I know EXACTLY how you feel when it comes to getting an HIV test.. you might try getting some medicine for anxiety first and then get the test done. Your stress is only adding to your physical problem and it looks like the only way you're going to get some real relief is by getting a negative HIV result which I think you're going to get!! I read that stress is a big factor in causing the overgrowth of yeast in our bodies. Try your best to try and relax and get the necessary testing done. The sooner the better. You're not alone.. I'll say a prayer for you!! Be strong!

Oh, get this.. yesterday I noticed a white dot on my right thigh... very small one. I ofcourse googled it and guess what it's a possible symptom of?? You guessed it.. HIV!! I've already had a negative HIV test.. looks like everything is a sign of HIV.. good grief!! lol I'm about done googling crap!!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.