Try doing a search here, or you can ask Dr. HHH.
I've never heard this, and would like to see it if you find it.
This is what I have found by searching this website so far. I didnt asked the doc about the actual study. Below, I have copied and pasted the conversation between he and someone else:
Thank you for this informative resource. I have learned a lot on this forum but would like some clarification on a few points. Many websites refer to chlamydia as a "silent" disease, in that many people carry it without symptoms. As a man who has been in a faithful marriage for 4 years, would it be possible for me to "carry" a germ like chlamydia for several years with no symptoms? You mentioned that women may carry it and develop PDI over the course of years, which suggests to me that men can also be long term, asymptomatic carriers? However, you have also mentioned that infections like gonorrhea or chlamydia will clear up by themselves over the course of months. As a man with no symptoms (but has not been tested), would I ever have to be concerned that I quietly harbor such an infection (chlamydia or gonorrhea.. although I know gonorrhea is more likely to cause symptoms)?
Maybe you can also comment on the generally progression of these diseases, and how frequently they tend to persist asymptomatically (for months or years?)
Thank you in advance for all your advice and knowledge.
Reported Report this Spam
Was this question helpful to you?Yes No
by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.
Add as Friend
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.
Seattle - WA
, May 23, 2007 12:00AM
Most infetions clear up on their own. In the pre-antibiotic era, 90% of people with pneumonia got better. The other 10% died, which is bad--but spontaneous cure is the rule, especially for most bacterial infections. This includes chlamydia as well as gonorrhea.
In a study of a substantial number of women (I think it was around 120-150 women) who were positive for chlamydia, not treated, and were tested again at various intervals over the next several years, 90% had cleared up within a year, but 1 person was still positive with the same strain 4 years later. That's the longest documented infection. In general, the infection clears up more rapidly in men than women. So the odds you still have chlamydia 4 years after getting infected--if you were infected at all--is zero or close to it.
I hope this helps. Best wishes-- HHH, MD
I think its really important to note that we don't know much about that 1 woman. Was she still having unprotected sex with the same person who infected her, thereby having the same strain again and again for 4 years? Was she being treated each time?
Its tough to make conclusions without knowing more info.
And for what its worth, I still wouldn't let a chlamydia infection (or any other bacterial infection, for that matter), try and heal on its own. There are too many things that can go way wrong with this.