Anyone know where the experts are?
Forum is closed for internal review
When is it expected back?
I Have a question about oral hpv. I performed oral on my wife regularly for many years. 12 years ago she had precancerous cells treated. We were unaware at that time of hpv. What are my risks of oral cancer? In the expert forums I researched its stated that the chances are better of being hit by lightning. I'm Not sure this includes someone who is positive they performed oral on a infected person.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, the risk is from direct contact and i assume she had a pap test and the warts are on her cervix. I dont believe you come in contact with her cervix with oral sex.
No warts. Just precancerous cells.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Still need direct contact.
Really? Then how is oral hpv acquired?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Mouth contact with a vaginal hpv wart.
What about the strain that causes cancer not warts?
COMMUNITY LEADER
All strains of HPV are topical and needs direct contact to be at risk. Its on the surface of the cervix, not in the blood or nerves.
So can I conclude that a man giving oral to a woman is at zero risk of contracting oral hpv?
COMMUNITY LEADER
No true. she can have it in the immediate vaginal area or on the cervix.
So in my situation am I at risk? Thanks for the help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
If she did not have any vaginal warts at the time your risk is very very low.
There's never been warts just the precancerous cells. Should I take any precautions?

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.