Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer Community
347 Members

Is 20% high enough to warrant surgery?

My wife's doctor suggested she get surgery.

If a doctor writes that there is a 20% risk a thyroid tumor is malignant, does that justify surgery? This is the final judgement after the Ultrasound, the scan that determines if it's hot or cold, and lastly the MIBI.

I'm not educated on the topic other than what I've read online. My natural instinct is to follow the docs recommendations, but 20% doesn't sound like a confident diagnoses. I read the MIBI has over a 90% success rate in differentiating between benign and malignant tumors.

Ultimately it's her decision and I will support her either way.  I would just hate for her to cause further compilations when it is unnecessary. Any insight is welcome.
1 Responses
168348 tn?1379357075
I had a 25% chance and turned out to be benign BUT upon final biopsy they found two small micro carcinomas (papillary) so I am very glad I had the surgery.  Why take any risk was my thought so had the surgery in '07

C~
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.