Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Hypothyroid and allergies?

Has anyone heard that Hypothyroid and allergies can be related? I read an article about this and was wondering if it was true. Suddenly out of nowhere I started developing allergies at 16 or 17 yrs, it started with gluten, then bananas, chemicals and now more recently (10 years later) dairy, green tea and hayfever. My dad has a hypothyroid so I guess i might be at risk, also his sister has a bleeding disorder (can't remember the name), I do as well but was told it was nothing to worry about. I have noticed that I have most of the symtoms listed which I thought where due to my allergies, and they could be but I should be feeling better as I do not eat anything I am allergic to anymore. I went to the doctor the other day and asked to have my thyroid tested, he sent me for a blood test called TFT which I'll get the results next week. From everyone elses experience, is this the only test that can be done? Thanks for your help.
Nope but was diagnosed this year with hypothyroid/ hashimotos. Have you been checked for that ??? I am going to get my allergy testing done soon. I am curious to see what comes of it. My allergies have gotten worse over the years. No allergies that I am aware of, but I will find out I am sure.
I'm not sure, since I'm still awaiting results from my doctor on my thyroid. But my allergies have grown from almost nothing to almost everything including:
1) Dust
2) Pollen
3) rabbits,
etc.
and the symptoms I get now include:
1) Asthma
2) painful hives on face/hands
3) typicaly red eyes and sneezing.