26.1k Members

Need help with interpreting lab results TSH, fT3, fT4, anty-TPO, anty-TG

I just got my lab results.
fT3     4.23   pmol/l  (norm 3.13-6.76)

fT4   16.39   pmol/l  (norm 12.0-22.0)

TSH  1.87  mlU/l  (norm 0.27-4.20)

anty-TG 11.3 IU/ml   (norm <115)

anty-TPO 9.13  IU/ml  (norm <34)

I sleep a lot, my mood is down, am anxious, have low blood pressure, pulse circa 60, am sensitive to cold more than anyone I know. Can this be related to thyroid? Results seem in norm. Please help
1 Responses
From your symptoms and your test results I'd say that it is most likely central hypothyroidism, which is a dysfunction in the hypothalamus/pituitary system resulting in inadequate production of TSH to properly stimulate the thyroid gland.  Even though your FT4 is close to mid-range, your Free T3 is much too low, even though it is within the so-called "normal" range.  Due to the erroneous assumptions used in establishing ranges, test results for FT4 and FT3 in the lower half of their ranges are often associated with being hypothyroid.  

Your FT4 is at 43 % of its range, but your FT3 is only at 30 % of its range.  
The difference in levels indicates that your body is also not converting T4 to T3 very well.  So you are going to need to find a good thyroid doctor tht will treat clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  If your doctor is not willing to treat you clinically as described then you are going to have to find one that will do so.  That is not easy to do, since most doctors only pay attention to TSH levels, which doesn't work.  

Also, hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D B12 and ferritin, so I recommend getting those tested as well.  D should be about 55-60, B12 in the very upper end of the range, and ferritin should be about 70 minimum.  So if you can get those tested  you can supplement as needed to optimize.  

Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child