Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid Erfa causes drowsiness?

I have increased my Erfa dose a little, from 2 to 2.25 G. This causes drowsiness in the evening and morning. In the morning it is difficult to wake fully. When I take 2 G, there is no such problem.

What other causes may be for drowsiness?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I don't think it's the ERFA causing your drowsiness; it's most likely that your FT3 levels are either too high, or too low.

Please post your current thyroid hormone levels.  Since you're taking a med with T3 in it, you should be getting TSH, FT3 and FT4 tested on a regular basis. Be sure to include reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.  

Have you had vitamin B12 tested?
When masured, in 2013, my FT3 has been 5.5-6.7 at ERfa Thyroid 2.25G.
At 2.0G it has been 5.5-5.7. Ref.: 3.1-6.8.
TSH is 0.02-0.03 (ref. 0.3-4.2).
FT4, when sometimes measured, 14-15 (ref 12-22).

In previous years my FT3 has been lower in relation to the reference range, although my dose has been higher, 2.5G.  (My medication started at the end of 2006).

My B12 (and active B12) test results have been normal.

During spring-summer, this year, I have been losing much hair. But what is very weird, I have lost muscle strength. I have found it when carrying water buckets and also in hand grip strength tests.

My thyroid gland has shrunken to very small and the cysts it has carried have also shrunk to below one cm.

I have primary hyperparathyroidism. Could this be involved in losing muscle strength?
COMMUNITY LEADER
What was the result of your latest FT3 and FT4 tests, and what dosage were you taking?

FT3 at 6.7, with a range of 3.1-6.8, is too high.

The parathyroids control how calcium is used in your body, so it would affect your bones, but I'm not sure how it would affect muscle mass.

Have you checked out the following web site on parathyroid?  

http://www.parathyroid.com/

FT3 was (sorry, reference ranges are slightly differet at different times):

after being at 2.0G Thyroid for 16 days before March 6, 5.7 (3.5-6.5)
after being at 2.25G Thyroid from March 6 to March 28, 5.5 (3.1-6.8),
after being at 2.25G Thyroid from March 6 to April 30,  6.7 (3.1-6.8),
after being at 2.0G Thyroid for one week before July 18, 5.5 (3.5-6.5).

In 2013 I have tried to decrease my dose from 2.5 through 2.25 to 2.0G but have not yet succeeded to be at 2.0 for longer times. The March 28 value was lower that April 30 due to shorter time on 2.25G.

At the beginning of 2013 I got atrial fibrillation after increasing my vitamin D intake from 50 to 100 mcg (but dropped it immediately to 50). Before that I was at 2.5 G Thyroid, then dropped Thyroid for a short time but returned to 2.5.

My thyroid dose had been 2.5G from spring 2010 to early 2013, although I have sometimes tried to change it a little.

FT3 at 2.5G Thyroid:

June 16 2010: 6.4 (2.8-7.1)
August 3 2010. 5.8 (2.8-7.1)
October 26 2010: 5.9 (3.5-6.5)
January 28 2011: 5.1 (2.8-7.1)
April 26 2011: 5.2 (3.5-6.5)
August 10 2011: 5.3 (2.6-5.7)
January 12 2012 after being at 2.75 for some time: 5.5 (2.6-5.7)
    ( for Aug 2011 I was first given a wrong reference (2.8-7.1), therefore the temporary dose increase)
May 10 2012: 4.7 (2.6-5.7)
July 9 2012: 5.8 (3.5-6.5)
--------
In early 2010, after changing from Armour to Thyroid in late 2009, I had reached the dose of 3G or little over. First I fealt that Thyroid does not work as Armour. I, for instance, fealt ill and had sore joints. Therefore I went to overdosing (at the chage of years 2009-2010 FT3 6.9, ref. 3.5-6.5). In the first months of 2010 I was in my best condition, my cognitive function was better than before thyroid medication. I was glad. Then in April I got atrial fibrillation, which was cured with cardioversion in November. Immediately at the onset of the AF in April, the Thyroid dose was dropped to 2.5G.

During thyroid medication I have had many other diseases, eg. in 2010 many infections, antibiotic diarrhea, cholelithiasis and cholecystectomia, respiratory difficulties due to AF, and at the end of the year I got muscular dystonia, which was not diagnosed until after one year. And my hypercalcemia was found and followed.

I still have chronic and other infections and many different symptoms. I have read the parathyroid pages. Doctors here do not believe that my weird symptoms could be due to my primary hyperparathyroidism. Many symptoms fit well to it. I wanted to have a sestamibi technetium scan, and it rervealed possible hyperplasia of the righht lower parathyroid.

My ionized Ca was 1.37 ( 1.16-1.3) on April 30 2013.

Different reference ranges of thyroid labs at different times make compararison slightly difficult. I myself have ordered many masurements of FT3 (it is very expensive!) . Doctors have also given prescriptions, but they often give only TSH or TSH and FT4.

Because of continuous or intermittent syptoms it is difficult to decide, which symptoms could result from hypothyroidism or its medication.
My S-B12-TC2 has been 123 (ref. over 35) on May 25, 2012. B12 has previously been above 400, this may be good. I take some B12 or vitamin B combination every day.

My basal body temperature is fairly low, about 36.3C in the morning and the maximal temperature is slightly over 37 for a short time in the afternoon. I hardly have extra sweating. During years, I often have had freesing, and sometimes episodes of flushing or hot feeling.

My heart rate is often under 60 when I am sitting in front of the computer. I Note that I have betablocker in use, Tenoblock 25 + 20 mg per day to prevent rhythm disorders (from the eighties). It was also for blood pressure, but I have not high blood pressure now. It varies, however much.

Now when I am again at 2G Thyroid, I don't sleep well, but I think that at 2.25 I sleep better but have extra sleepiness in the evening and morning. I am worried about my hair loss and muscle and bladder weakness. I have sitting difficulties. Sometimes I cannot keep my head up and I have tremor (muscular dystonia!).

In this year I have had a four-month period of intermittent bad feeling behind eyes or other eye symptoms. I let my eye muscles scanned with mri - nothing abnormal was found. I have never had thyroid antibodies in my blood. I have had chronic infection in my paranasal sinuses and tonsils for years. The sinuses were also cheked in spring, OK. I have slight immune deficiency.

In spring I had an area of slight intermittent pain from a lymph node in my neck through ear area to the upper temple. Nothing was found in my ear or elsewhere. Vertigo, attacks of dizziness, hair loss, and supraventricular tachycardia (new symptom) have been even on 2G Thyroid.  I have had sore joints and loose ligaments.

Possible causes for all this:
hypothyroidsm
overmedication (upper abdominal pain sometimes during walking, polyuria, dehydration)
hypercalcemia (primary hyperparathyroidism diagnosed, hypercalcemia, high PTH, polyuria)
partial central diabetes insipidus (could not be excluded, polyuria, dehydration, nocturia)
muscular dystonia (diagnosed)
coronary artery disease (suspection, ST segment depression in ECG during recovery)
chronic disease anemia (have microcytosis, high erythrocyte count)
hemoglobinopathy (a heamotolgist suggested, was not found)
infections (immune deficiency found, intermittent lymph node symptoms)
sarcoidosis and other diseases have been suspected ( a tumors in lung, not sarcoidosis, don't grow with time, slightly high ACE and lysozyme)
HLA-B27 positivity (joint problems, arthrosis)
faeochromocytoma (not found, different attacks, no panic, hyperventilation excluded)
hyperaldosteronism (not found, sometimes hypernatremia)
adrenal insufficiency (ok S-corsol, no hyperkalemia, no hyponatremia)
CFS (diagnosed in 2007, from the eighties, have had much exhaustion during working years)
and other diseases, which may not be causes
maybe I don't even remember all possibilities for causes
------
Great variability in my condition, even within one day, has been mysterious.
It is to be noted that the body temperature values above are from sublingual measurements, which give higher values than from the armpit. The values are the same as those in my fertile age (could not have a child).