Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

parathyroids

I apparently have two bad parathyroids, seen from ultrasound and sestamibi scan.  Facing surgery less than 2 weeks from now.  Has anyone had more than 1 removed?  I have no clue how long this has been going on within me, so I don't seem to have any symptoms, or they have progressed so slowly, I am not aware of them.  I have read a lot of the sites, but usually see one is removed.  Has anyone walked this path before?
Here is some info from the parathyroid website...

"Parathyroid disease is caused by a single bad parathyroid gland (a benign parathyroid tumor) about 80% of the time. Since there are 4 parathyroid glands, removing one bad one becomes the simple way to cure the problem. This is true even if its cancer... (but it almost never is!). The other 20% of patients have two or three bad parathyroid glands. Rarely people get all four bad parathyroid glands."

"Since parathyroid gland disease (hyperparathyroidism) was first described in 1925, the symptoms have become known as "moans, groans, stones, and bones...with psychic overtones".  Nearly all patients with parathyroid problems have symptoms. Sometimes the symptoms are really obvious, like kidney stones, frequent headaches, fatigue, and depression. Sometimes the symptoms are not so obvious, like high blood pressure and the inability to concentrate. If you have symptoms, you are almost guaranteed to feel remarkably better once the parathyroid tumor has been removed. As we often tell our patients: "you will be amazed at how a 16 minute mini-procedure will change your life!""