Traumatic Brain Injury Community

Is this a seizure or panic attack??

I had a TBI at 17 years old. A subdural hematoma the size of a golf ball was removed. Almost immediately after brain surgery I felt like my old self again. I went several more years with no cognitive or physical repercussions from my injury save some mild emotional swings and a nasty scar. However, I am now 33 and have had 2 gran mal seizures. One at 23 and the other at 26 and then none since. Preceding each of my seizures was what I describe as a tremor. 10-15 seconds where I heard a pulsing in my ears that gradually became louder and then I became unable to speak intelligibly followed by black-out and convulsions. Before the two seizures I had a few instances where I "heard" the pulsing but it never materialized into a gran mal. Before my first gran mal my therapist diagnosed the tremors as anxiety at first even after I told him I felt they might be seizures. All these years later I "think" he may have been on to something...In periods of heightened stress I will have an onset of the auditory pulsing lasting about 10 seconds but I am able to calm down and squash it. I think I might have PST from the accident and I developed an anxiety disorder without realizing. As auditory hallucinations are common panic attack symptoms, it seems very likely that is what it is. Could anxiety have caused my 2 gran mals and then go into remission manifesting in nothing more than a minor annoyance or are these ear ringing states a type of simple partial seizure? My EEG's come back normal, I do not see, taste, feel anything out of the ordinary during these "attacks" so are they dangerous? Other thing to note - I used to get horrific migraines before my accident, now have been migraine free for 16 years. Anyone else?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
In all probability the symptoms are due to panic attack. Other than that tremors are often associated with drugs, alcohol, smoking, lack of sleep, poor sleep patterns, stress and fatigue. They can be seen in peripheral neuropathies of diabetes, in hyperthyroidism, parasomnia, multiple sclerosis, TIAs or transient ischemic attacks or mini strokes, hypoglycemia, disorders of calcium metabolism, hyperparathyroidism etc. Certain epilepsies too could be the cause, probably ruled out in your case. Consult an internal medicine specialist or your PCP. Discuss these possibilities with your doctor.  A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!