How can I obtain medical records from 33 years ago?

I had an accident 33 years ago that required surgery.  My local hospital stated to me that my records were destroyed because at the time of my accident, the hospital did not have computers in their hospital, and that by the time computers were implemented into the hospital, the old medical records of patients were destroed and not put into the computers.  Is that true?  Can the hospital do that?  Is it legal for them to do that?  Is there such a thing as medical archives?
I don't know if they can do that, but your primary care physician at the time should have a record of your surgery.  Even that long ago your doctor would still be informed and would receive documentation of your surgery snail mail.
legally a doctors or hospital only have to keep your records for 7 yrs. but if you were under the age of 18 then they have to keep them til you are 18. i was told that it is possible for them to be on microfilm. but all possiblities are slim. you'll have to find out when they would have purged their records form your last date of service. and ask if they might have it on micro film.
33 years ago is not all that primative! They had a thing back then called microfilming. I've never heard of medical records being destroyed at any hospital.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.