Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Mysterious bug under my skin, crawling on my scalp

This is my first post, I've been reading this forum for about a month now, reading about evetything from how to cure scabies to mites.

I'm 27 years old, live in Dallas Texas and here is my story...

First, we've always had a fly problem at every house we go to. You know, the little fruit fly looking things. However, we're not big fruit eaters and don't have any out. They seem to love the trash and the sink (different fly?).

Up to 6 months ago I felt like a bug was crawling on me when I sat on my couch and bed (different apartment), our first assumption was bed bugs and we treated the house (using bombs) for these, the crawling feeling slowed but never fully stopped.

We recently moved (2 months ago) and I felt the same thing on the couch and bed, even worse actually. So much so that we had to throw the couch out. The couch had a mattress in it, it ended up staying out back for a little while until one day I looked out there and it had little black bugs crawling all over it. During this time it seemed I ws being attacked at night by whatever this is, constant crawling all over my head. I usually stay up late to work (upwards of 5AM sometimes) and the entire time this crawling is going on. When I get in the bed it's even worse.

Now here we are at present day. Three days ago I started feeling like whatever this was is now in my skin (I'm certain of it), It's under the skin on my face, my scalp, my back, my toes, and my feet. I can feel it crawling in and out of my anus at times also.

Went to the dermatoligist today and of couse he says it's my imagination, some people get it. He's subscribed me some DEXEPIN for depression. :(  Funny thing is I'm not depressed, my life was quite good until this bug showed up.

I can feel them crawling under my skin, they hang out in my ear (not sure if under the skin or just in the canal) all day, it's gross. No one in the house (my wife and 3 kids) can feel them. My wife has bites all up and down her legs and even a protruded ring looking this on her forearm.

As you might have imagined I'm loosing my mind and life, nothing is the same. And now that the doctor says it's my imagination I cant even get my mom or wide (even though she has a lot of bites) to believe what I'm feeling is real. This makes everything 99.9% harder.

At first I thought it was bird mites (lots of trees around our apartment), then I thought scabies (becuase I can see tracks under my skin), and now I'm thinking it's some kind of fly. There are flys everwhere in this apartment. The disposal was broken when we moved in and it had  flies coming out, they are still around even today (and it's broken again). The bathroom has the flies, in fact, there are several dead in the tub.

I spray the tub down with bleach/water after getting out and noticed when I spray the faucet part some of it turns black (black mold?).

Could this be a bot fly? What do I need to do to get rid of it. Now that the dermatologist was no hope (second doc I've seen, first gave me Pemethrin which did not work) I was thinking of ordering some Stromectol / Ivermectin and Green Kleen Green online.

Recently I had jock itch for the first time in my life, had been taking Gris Peg (Griseofulvin) when this all started to intensify. Please if anyone has been through anything like this offer your sound advice.
I'm going to have to agree with your doctor on this one. Definitely more mental than physical. Try a psych evaluation?
I wanted to add that I have to "bites" really. As far as visible symptoms I have no open cuts or wounds, except one that I've just discovered on my penis.
I've had one before and the doc said I might have slight OCD, however, I feel this is different for a few reasons.

First, if I feel some crawling on my scalp and hit the spot (as like trying to splat the bug) it will start to crawl the other direction. I also get the same thing if I apply tea tree oil or epsom salt to the area where they are crawling, the run and move to another location.

Second, now that I feel them under my skin it really hurts when they move, I feel pain in my kneed, back, and other places.

I'm a sound guy, own a business and take care of my kids, don't really have any mental issues, I really don't feel like this is mental. If it is, why is it happening just now? Why not before? And why does my wife have bites? My little girl (2) has bites also, about 5 on her legs. I slept in her room that night, then stopped, she hasn't had any bites since.
I can relate to the 27 yr old from Dallas I am experiencing the same thing you are, I have these bugs living under my head and skin.I have gone to 4-different hospitals and they think I have a mental problem but I don't, I have tried so many different products and noting is working. I finally saw a Dermatologist and now she thinks am crazy to but I know what I feel crawling under my skin I also see these little white bug when they fall from my head. I don't know where to go from here. Are we going to live with this the rest of your lives. DLogan
I been dealing with this issue for 9 years I tried everything been to every dermatologist I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars
you might want to look into Fibromyalgia......based on you mentioning you have other pain symptoms, back & also your ocd etc,................we  have an over acute sense of pain/touch,....... everything really,.....more recent research points at CNS involvement..

I often feel "the crawlies"....its not "in my head", but then its not insects either, just my central nervous system playing tricks on me.............its a common symptom of FM, & I've seen it discussed often in FM forums

good luck
Anyone else want to chime in? I'm suffering here. Tonight as usual I feel the crawling under my skin on my back, knee, and sometimes area. The are all over my head, seems like they are trying to make it into my eyes or mouth.
Hi HB

I'm in the UK, & I was just reading a newspaper article & it reminded me of your post....... it fits so well with what you say I think it might be well worth you reading, a lady gone through similar to you describe & after been told its depression etc etc..eventually gets help, turns out to be gall bladder disease

I've found an online link, I have had to add extra spaces as this site doesn't allow links

cut & paste & put the text below all back together on 1 line with no spaces, hope it works ok....if not google "daily mail, my next meal is humble pie"  which is the article title.......its about 2/3 of the way down the page

hope it helps & good luck

http://www.daily
mail.co.uk/health/article-1313730/
Ask-doctor-Why-yellow-skin-perfectly-normal-.html
I've also just spotted this thread on here....caught my attention as I thought it was migraine related, as I SEE something similar with migraine, but its not really there........, but then on reading it, I realise these people really ARE being followed by fruit fly etc..so again might be of interest to yourself.........I've had to split the link again to get it to post on here

also a good tip I learned years back to trap & get rid of fruit fly, is to put all fruit away, out of reach, fridge etc......& then wrap a banana in cling film......cut a small slit into the wrapped banana....leave over night...& all the fruit fly will be atracted to it, crawl in, & not be able to get out again....bin/burn the banana, & they are gone....works everytime :)
Link.....

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/
Undiagnosed-Symptoms/
Gnats-or-Fruit-flies-following-me/show/202117
Hey, thanks for the info!

I checkout out both links. On the first you never know, could be something like that, only thing is it didn't mention the crawling sensation (which is less like a sensation but bugs actually trying to get into my eyes and nose constantly). I also researched symptoms of gallbladder disease, nothing mentioned the crawling (out or under the skin, which I'm having both now).

In regards to the second link, I had already read it some time ago. Ever since this crawling on my head started I'm 100% one of those people that bugs follow everywhere (and I hate bugs).
Hi there,

I've been suffering with the same thing for a couple of years. It is very real. It seems to be agrevated with sugar. My theory is that there are tiny bugs that are probably a cross between bed bugs and fungus in their make up, It may seem totally far out but have you looked up "morgellions disease" Its a strange phenomenon that is sweeping the world. Users are reporting the following symptons:
1, brain fog
2, sluring words
3, fatigue
4, skin crawling
5, dark rings around eyes.

Cutting down on simple sugars and carbs definatly makes a difference. Also seems like there is a coloration between adreneline and the break out of symptoms. Almost as if this thing feeds of stress.

Its sounds horror movie stuff. search the internet for "body bugs" you will be amazed at some of the videos. this is very real and its not in your head.

Have you ever been a flood victum or had a septic system fail?
HBdadon:

It sounds like a whole lot of misery for you.

for the itchy skin, did you try QUELL lotion (over the counter item)--maybe scabies.
Or cortizone cream?

For the things crawling out your anus (maybe pinworms).  ask your doctor for a prescription for Vermox or Mebendazole(by Rx only).

In general, just google MORGELLONS SYNDROME or Morgellons disease and see if it fits you.  

I do not think you are imagining what you are feeling.  That is why I say Morgellons if you cannnot find any other answers.  Most doctors do not know of it.

Do you have a blacklight?  Have you tried looking at your skin with it?   if it is Morgellons you can see flourescent things under a blacklight.

Hope you feel better. Let us know
Cead

Dear Zaksky

I really apologize because I did not read yor post before posting about Morgellons.  Naturally, it was the first thing that popped into my mind with such bizarre itiching and squirmies.  Yes, they say that it is sweaping the country and the world according to all reports and they cannot even determine exactly what the strings are actually made of.  Very bizarre!!!  I recently read where there is some famous baseball player in Oakland who has it and also now singer Joanie Mitchell has it, so a lot of money is being pumped into research and publicity all of a sudden.  I feel so sorry for the people who have such a dreadful disease to live with.  The scary part for everyone is that they do not know where it is coming from nor do they even know exactly what the material is made up of.  But it definitely does show up under a blacklight so at least there is a way that those people can prove that they are not completely wacked.

I apologize again, Zaksky.  I never would have posted that if I had read your post first.  I was just so intrigued by reading HBdadon's post.  I read a few that came that came after that but guess I missed yours the first time.  I will watch not to do that in the future.

Cead
Hi...my mom had a similar situation where she was convinced she had bugs of some sort..steamed cleaned everything bought all types of lice shampoo etc....when in fact she had a type of rosecea that can give the feeling of bugs under the skin, it is the result of a virus, and yes u can get it  in private areas....it drove her nutz...check out this site and see if it fits...the flies in ur home may be playing into what u r feeling...but do check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_rosea

Good luck and please post an update
"selma"