Why are my fingers sore and swollen?

I am a 23 year old female, with reynaud's phenomenon. Usually I suffer from very cold/numb hands, which only swell a little for maybe 10 minutes after they start to heat up. I woke up today with a very swollen index finger. I thought maybe I'd banged it, but now my little finger is swollen, too. They hurt to touch, and my hands are still cold and normal coloured. It's only on one hand - my right. I'm getting worried, now, because this hasn't happened before. Do you know what this could be?

I am due on my period this week, but I NEVER get this swelling in my joints. I have been stressed lately, but again, I don't ever swell. I've experienced dermititis when stressed before, but never swelling. Please help; I don't know if I'm over-acting or this is serious.

With Premenstrual Tension (PMT) sometimes called Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) if you had fluid retention (oedema) this would happen on all the fingers.

As you have just the index and little fingers that are sore and swollen and hurt to touch, seems that the swelling is due to inflammation.  This could be connected with your Reynaud's Phenomenon, or arthritic changes in these two fingers.  This could be osteoarthritis or rheumatoid (an autoimmune disorder) or other forms of arthritis.

Is there any likely chance that you may have been bitten by a bug?

Make an appointment to see your doctor so that he can examine your fingers, order blood tests or xrays if he feels this is required.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes.
Thanks very much for this. I rang the NHS and they said trying some anti-hystemines, but they didn't work, so I'm going to the walk-in centre today to see what they have to say. The swelling hasn't gone down, and I can barely make a fist with my hand...so we'll see what he says.

Ironically, fingers crossed!
Just got back from the walk in. It was an infection they think; I've been given antibiotics to take for 7 days, so hopefully this will clear it all up.
Oh good, I am glad that you managed to get seen and were given the antibiotics.  Hopefully, you will start to feel some benefit in about 2 or 3 days, but do make sure that you complete the full course of the antibiotics and take them as prescribed.

It appears that infection has got through a puncture on your skin.  Do you remember being stung?  It doesn't really matter whether you were or not, the most important thing is that you have been seen to, and prescribed medication to kill of the bacteria.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.