Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

watery discharge during period...

...among other symptoms:

for the past year my periods have been ridiculously heavy, often bleeding through tampon, pad and clothing in under two hours.

i also have a watery discharge during my period. it is clear and odorless. even if there is very little blood on my tampon, it soaks through and leaks through my pad and clothing as well.

recently, i have been having less liquid blood and more clots, with a lot of the watery discharge. i have three solid days of going through both a tampon and pad within an hour.

i also have severe backache and cramping, and just generally feel ill, which i realize could be just normal period stuff.

however, over the last two years i have become increasingly aware of this awful stabbing pain that i get in my pelvic region. i will just be sitting down and it will come on so suddenly and harshly it makes me jump and cry out. the initial stabbing sensation is usualy brief, then a dull ache sometimes continues.

i've also struggled with constipation for about 6 years. i know lots of females do though. when i am able to relieve myself, it is diahrrea. i eat a TON of fiber and drink lots of water.

i'm 24, athletic, otherwise healthy, and eat organically.

here's the clincher:
i'm not sexually active, nor have i ever been.
doctors rarely believe me, and thus make getting real medical advice difficult.

Have they checked to see if you have a fibroid?   You might want to call your ob/gyn doctor.

How are you? Some of the causes of heavy bleeding in your case can be hormonal imbalance, polyps which are usually benign and arise from the uterine wall, and cervical infection. Infection can also cause discharge.
Please get yourself checked by an experienced gynecologist. Do keep us posted!

I can relate, but feel like no one understands.  I have been having some of the same symptoms for over a year myself.  My obgyn doesn't understand the watery discharge, having a D and C done to check for abnormal cells.  

I mostly have the water discharge, flooding, clotting, and constipation that's awful.  I too have normal like achy, ill feeling but that doesn’t really affect me as the other stuff.  I too eat tons of fiber (ground flax seed daily), I'm 37 and it started about 2 years ago.  I have had the stabbing feeling but mostly on my right side by my ovary.  I went through all kinds of test 2 yrs ago, colonoscopy, blood work etc... nothing comes back with any help of understanding.

Glad you posted...I've been feeling frustrated....

Sharing your pain and embarrassment
I have the same - for over a year. The discharge comes only on the 4th and 5th day of my period, soaking through tampons and sometimes clothes. It does have an odor (acrid) but is clear so my Dr. thinks it may be urine and referred me to a urologist. I have no infections, have never been pregnant, and just had a ultrasound that revealed normal kidneys and bladder.

I too have always had trouble with constipation. I'd love some ideas of how to stop this if anyone has resolved the issue.
I tried to post a comment earlier but it hasn't gone thru, so hopefully i'm not double-posting.  

I had that happen to me last week:  on day 2 of my period, three times that day I'd feel a gush and think "uh-oh, overflowed the tampon..."   Then I'd run to the ladies' room and yup, undies were soaked --- but with clear fluid!  I'd check the tampon & it would be maybe 1/4 full, with the still-white part soaked with the clear watery fluid.  And I was really dizzy, woozy, nauseous that day - at times I couldn't even walk straight.  

For the last several months I've been struggling against horrible fatigue/exhaustion, and have felt bloated and crampy all month.  I get my period about every 30-31 days, and it is short in duration but shockingly clot-filled.

So, I was concerned about fallopian tube cancer, and got right into the gyn.  Well, CA 125 is normal (11), blood tests & cultures all negative for any STD.  Pap's not back yet.  

They did an transvaginal ultrasound in the office yesterday:  fallopian tubes weren't visualized (the nurse said they normally aren't visible unless there's a problem with them, i.e., fluid, mass, etc.)  Endometrium was a bit thickened (7.16 mm early in cycle), and one ovary had either enlarged follicle or cyst, unclear on that.

So my gyn is done with testing.  After being asked point-blank what that fluid could've been, he just said, "I don't know,"  and we could pursue it further if it happens again.

Pretty frustrating.  I am optimisitc that the lack of other serious signs means not a bad thing, but, I'm hoping to get further tests to try to determine the cause for this bizarre thing.  

Anyone have any luck??
Hi. I suffer from the same clear discharge during my period. No odor so I'm not concerned but certainly bothered by it. I don't have any answers but do you think it might be extra stimulus from the tampon? It is a far fetched answer since it sometimes happens at night, but I can't think of anything else!!!
Oh my gosh I am so thankful that I found this site. I have the exact same problem with the watery discharge. It's been at least 6 months that it's been happening to me. All of a sudden I get a gush of fluid and it feels like my tampons full but when I go check it out there's hardly any blood but my panties are drenched. Even the other morning when I woke up and stood up to go to the bathroom it was running down my leg it was so much fluid. It has absolutely no odor it's the weirdest thing ever. I have to change my panties and even sometimes my pants 2-3 times a day, I might as well wear a pad as well as my tampon. I am going to the doctor to see if she can give me any ideas. Hopefully soon we can get some answers ladies!
h
I can't believed there's other people out there that suffers from similar symptome. I have been looking on the net for a few months to see if there could possibly be an explication and nothing. My doctor has no idea either. I have approx 30% blood and 70% watery dischage during my period. I change tampon every 2 hours which is soaked by clear oderless watery fluid.  I have left sided pelvic  pain,back pain difficuly voiding and migraine. I hope someone can possibly have an answer to this.
Oh goodness, I feel soooooooo much better!

I suffer through all of those symptoms except the constipation. Watery discharge, HUGE clots (the doc took one and it was longer than my hand when stretched! Gross, but...wow!) and I thought I was coming down with a cold cause I've been feelin sick and I sleep every 7 or 8 hours or so if possible. I do know that I have Polycystic Ovarian syndrome, but my doc says she's unsure as to whether or not that's the cause. I will definitely keep checkin back, PLEASE if anyone gets an answer let us know!

Oh, and is anyone else bleeding like a stuck pig? Ugh!
I have had the huge clots, leg/stomach/back cramps, severe fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and painfully sore breasts that go up a cup size. My right ovary area always gets really tender, occaisionally with shooting pain.I've had these symptoms for about 8 years. I'm only 30 and have had multiple ultrasounds and hormone levels checked. They did std testing. Doctors keep saying its normal, but blood clots the size of oreo's that look like liver are not normal.Cramps so bad they make you have diarrhea is not normal. Waking up 2-3X a night covered in blood is not normal. Now I have the new addition of the clear vaginal fluid leakage mystery! I am having trouble getting pregnant and have been referred to a fertility specialist. Has anyone else had trouble getting pregnant?
Bleeding like stuck pig! LOL!!! I just said that five minutes ago!

Thank god other people are experiencing the same things. Thought was the only one. I'm 37, child free and had been off BC for about a month after being on it for years. Had an unexplained hike inblood pressure so she took me off to make sure it is or isn't the pill. I've had the watery discharge for a while but nothing like what I had last night. Thought I wet the bed but it was only on my pajama bottoms and not on the bed. Not much of an odor but there is a little. I've sways had a little but nothing that made me change undies or jammies. Last night was so much! And it's still coming while ichange my tampon every two-three hours.
And I'm so with you on back pain! I feel like im going to snap in half at any minute. And I walk 1/2 mile to the trainthen another 1/2 mile to work. And I swear my back is trying to kill me.
Im so tired! Can't get enough sleep. And I go from being ravenous to not hungry at all. Neither ovary feels worse than the other. I know I want to get back on the pill to stop the heavy bleeding and broken back syndrome. High blood pressure or not I can't handle this. And if it's making this watery discharge worse then that's adding insult to injury.
I have to go back to my OB/GYN girl to check on the BP and ill ask about the discharge.  I hope she can give some answers. I'll keep you updated!